1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Ay man Polk has a lot of great bars!

2. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

probably? I walked around a lot. The only place I didn't like was the Haight.

1 person likes this.
  3. jet

jet Senior member

it's like communicating with a 12 year old

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Serious? I like Acrimony, and Jenny is a sweatheart, and Marcus is good people, but the store, while good, is nowhere near the level of MAC, which has a knack for finding truly world class stuff. They were the first West Coast Engineered Garments stockist, and I'm pretty sure that they were one of the first Belvest accounts as well (Louis brought them to the US, but back in the day, Louis Boston was truly world class, and did things like give Luciano Barbera his start as a designer). They carry great selections of Jil, Junya, Dries, Margiela up until a few years ago, Walter van Bierendonck's Wild & Lethal Trash, as well as stuff that I've never seen, like Nooy for women. My criterion for a truly good store is that it has to show me something unexpected, to teach me something, every time I walk in. MAC is one of the few stores in the States that does that for me, consistently.

Yeah, Synth and I were both in SF for business. He stayed on a bit longer. I was there for meetings, and that was it. I'm in SF usually at least a few times a year. Most stuff can be done online, but face-to-face is really still the only way to reach a real understanding with someone.

5. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

I guess I should visit MAC.

6. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

I like Acrimony, but mainly because they carry Geller and Marcus is always very helpful and he's always down to chat.

Just visited MAC for the first time to check out their EG stock and what stood out was they had this ridiculously nice Dries peacoat. Did not know they carried margiela, or used to. Didn't see any, but I didn't look for it.

BUUUT. The best shop in SF. Hands down. Is.

MAAAAS and Stacks.

Steve and Otto really know what they're doing with the buys and the products they carry. It's to the point where I don't even stop by anymore because I end up liking too much stuff and just kind of have no willpower and end up getting it there for some reason even though I know you can get it cheaper online somewhere, but they've showed me the way on stuff like nonnative and you gotta appreciate that, good times.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  7. LA Guy

I really like Maas&Stacks as well, and I definitely think that in taste levels that it is above Acrimony, but imo, it's not as good at MAC. Don't get me wrong - I am more likely to find something for me, personally, at Maas&Stacks, but only at MAC do I get that sense of wonder, like "omg, I have never seen that. I never even conceived that such a thing existed!" For me, it's that feeling, rather than whether I'll find something that I'll like, that sets MAC apart.

8. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

MAC is more interesting and has much better CS than M&S. People at Archive are pretty nice as well, although I've only browsed there and not bought anything. As far as the big name boutiques go, DH service >>>> SLP service in SF.

9. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Yea i used to like haight back in the day, now i think its just dirty as hell.

You know what i just realized i was thinking of Rand+Statler, we are talking about two diff stores. The one i went to did not stock any of that LOL. I think i need to give MAC a try then...

10. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

Their dogpatch location is worth a visit too. Not as much stock as the Hayes Valley one but you can get pizza at Piccino after (or before).

11. LA Guy

Rand+Statler is the high end part of Azalea, and it's just okay. There doesn't seem to be much soul in that store. I could have laid out that store and stocked it in my sleep. It's strictly paint by numbers. Clean white. Check. Hardwood floors, way ahead of you. Blond wood and bare pipe shelves. C'mon son, I started there. Whaddya got? A.P.C. Yeah, that was funky fresh in 2002. Aesop in the apothecary? Oh, and apothecary section? Very upscale, very classy. Who even buys Paul Smith striped shirts in 2014? The girl who got the shirt for her boyfriend because it will look so cute on him for that date at that brunch place that is so cute and has great mimosas. That's who.

If we somehow get a contract with Rand&Statler, you guys do realize I'll probably have to delete this post, right?

8 people like this.
  12. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

You guys ever go to Macys? Good sales etc.

13. LA Guy

No, but I do find the Bloomingdales in SF to be massively amusing. I was going to take Synth, but Synth has less of a love of the absurd then do I. I love that they have a Versace section. Who is buying all the Versace? There is also some genuinely worthwhile stuff there as well, which actually makes the trip worthwhile from an actually "I'm going to buy something" standpoint, from usually decent selections of Margiela to Marc Jacob's non-shitty collection. And so on. And they had Number (n)ine back in the day, which makes up for a multitude of sins.

14. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Try serpentine and poquito, really good

15. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Right thats why i was wondering why you guys liked them so much, then i realized its a diff place.

16. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

And EG and Ervell!

1 person likes this.
  17. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

[​IMG]
    Cambridge Undergraduates c. 1926

13 people like this.
  18. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

so glad nobody dresses like that in college anymore
    i cant wait until everyone gets a clue and sweatpants are acceptable at the office too

6 people like this.
  19. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

no sweatpants ever.

20. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

A bit late, but I really can't see why you wouldn't use subscriptions?
    Have disabled email-notifications, but having every thread with unread posts listed seems so convenient I assumed that's how everyone did it.

18 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.