1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

I have a pair of babouches, a pair of fur-lined handmade slippers and a pair of Uniqlo house slippers. I sometimes put on the socks given by airline companies in their little gift kits if I feel real cold.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

Checked out the Markowski sidezips earlier at their store. Nicer than MMM's, but they didn't have my size :(

3. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

why do people wear house shoes? i never understood it as a concept. i don't even like wearing slippers at home.

4 people like this.
  4. wogbog

wogbog Senior member

my feet start to hurt on non carpetted floors

5. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Senior member

'cause of gas bills

4 people like this.
  6. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Looking from some help/advice here, guys.

I stumbled upon a Schneider frozen waves Marino coat in tan. It's freaking awesome, but I already have one in charcoal.

Depending on how much I love it in person when it arrives I might keep it or I think that I might sell it to a friend of mine, but I have no idea how much I should ask. I don't want to rip him off, but I also don't want to give it away. What would be fair?

7. momentoftruth

momentoftruth Senior member

This New Yorker profile is fantastic. Had to double-check it wasn't satire

Quote: “There is no typical day for me,” Shingy, who is forty-four, said. “Which, if you think about it, means that today is pretty typical.” He arrived at AOL headquarters in the Village wearing black nail polish and high-top sneakers with leather wings. His jacket, T-shirt, and pants were black, and he had decorated them with wide stripes of white paint. He wears his hair up and out, like Phyllis Diller or Beetlejuice. “You’d be surprised how easy it is to get it to stay like this, actually—a blow-dry and then a quarter-size dab of product,” Shingy explained. “It’s all in the cut, not the styling.” He ran into a Ward Cleaver-ish advertising executive named Jim Norton. “My man!” Shingy said, offering his trademark three-part handshake, ending in a hug.

Next, Shingy stopped by the office of Erika Nardini, the chief marketing officer of AOL Advertising, and handed her an iPad Mini. “Wanted to show you a little brain fart I had on the plane,” he said. It was a cartoon he had drawn of a bear wearing zebra-print pants and a shirt covered in ones and zeros.

“Love it, love it, love it,” Nardini said. “I’m thinking of the bears more as a metaphor.”

“A thousand per cent,” Shingy said.

“Shingy is my muse,” Nardini said. During this conversation, Shingy was distracted by his phone, but he looked up and smiled every few seconds. “I lean on him really heavily for the feel of what’s happening in the here and now. There is something so polarizing about Shingy, but also so unifying.”

Shingy kept moving. He is passionate about spaces, and when a space is not working he reboots it, taking everything out and starting over. He said, “This is a space I recently rebooted for Tim”—meaning Tim Armstrong, the C.E.O. of AOL. The room had been a standard fluorescent-lit office. Now the desk was gone, replaced by leather armchairs in a circle, and the walls were painted dark gray. Armstrong entered, wearing a fleece, baggy jeans, and loafers. Shingy is short and slight, and Armstrong, who played lacrosse in college, towered over him.
    “Do you like the scent?” Shingy said. A diffuser released a fragrance (called London) designed by Tom Dixon into the air. Shingy’s office features another of Dixon’s scents (Orientalist), but Armstrong’s, he pointed out, was newer.

“It’s funny,” Armstrong said. “I thought it was the cleaning materials. The cleaning lady was in here last night, and I’m like, ‘I love the smell of this table!’ She was like, ‘Um, O.K.’ ”

“I still need to put some sound in here,” Shingy said.

Armstrong looked around. “I have meetings here, and people don’t know where to sit,” he said.

"They’ll figure it out, man,” Shingy said.

He took an Uber car uptown to IPG Mediabrands, an advertising firm, where he was due to give a speech. “I think some folks from Applebee’s are going to be in the house,” he said. “I’m more of a caffeine-free, gluten-free, raw-food sort of guy, but I am able to find something to like in every brand once I hear their story.”
    He told the Applebee’s people that to make their brand “remarkable, reactive, and relevant” they have to tell stories in real time. Everyone is talking about SoLoMo—social, local, mobile—but they should be talking about HoMo: home/mobile, cell phones used on the couch.“How many apps does the average person have?” Shingy asked the crowd.

“Forty-two?” Justin Colavita, a media planner, said.

“That’s right!” Shingy said. “Forty-one, actually.”

A colleague turned to Colavita and asked, “How did you know that?”

“I was just guessing,” Colavita said. “I must be a prophet.” ♦

9 people like this.
  8. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Most occupations are complete bullshit and this doesn't changed with high salaries and consideration. Oprah or some guy twittering for snickers bars: same wonderful fight for irrelevance.

9. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Those coats are terrible. You should give it away to a lawyerfriend just to get it away from you.

Why not tell the friend what you paid, but invite him to tell you what he's comfortable paying? There's nothing "rip off" about charging him what you paid. And if you want to cut him a deal because he's a friend, I think asking him to tell you what he'd feel comfortable paying seems the most straightforward and direct course. Any price you set on it other than your own cost is going to be arbitrary, and will probably feel (or at least would for me, since I'm prone to overthinking and second-guessing my own choices) arbitrary and unsatisfying in some way.

10. ClambakeSkate

ClambakeSkate Senior member

Tan is my favorite color of the Merino.

This one, right?

[​IMG]

Keep it.

1 person likes this.
  11. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

Damn, that is sweet. Give it to me instead of your friend, and then I will be your new friend and we can be merino friends together.

11 people like this.
  12. zissou

zissou Senior member

Goddamn. I hate it when a grail pops up on Ebay and the seller just has me by the balls.

2 people like this.
  13. jet

jet Senior member

14. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Some sure, but most?

1 person likes this.
  15. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

"Service economy" = wankers economy.

1 person likes this.
  16. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

I've just been diagnosed with wool allergy, so my 3 Pringle merino jumpers I've had to donate..

My 2 cashmere sweaters I haven't tried yet for fear of another allergic reaction...they'll probably outlive me and I wi I'd never invested in them.

I can't even sell them because they're such a tiny size[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. in stitches

Lol.

My inquiry is that I have no idea what the "market price" is for this coat. So, even if he would be happy to pay X, and lets say X covers my cost and I make a few bucks, but the coat could easily sell for two times X, well, Im a good friend and all, but Im not a moran.

Hmm. I dont think so, the one I have on the way is lighter than that. Almost bone color.

Its a size 6. What size are you?

18. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Ah, gotcha. I misunderstand the exact question. Good luck. I hope you figure out a price that makes your friend happy and makes you Scrooge McDuck rich.

19. in stitches

Thanks!!!

I realllllly think I want to keep it, but I am having a hard time justifying it. And if I cant justify a kop, thats pretty bad.

20. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Service? I'm a knowledge worker, goddammit!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.