1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

Thanks. It's just one guy (not a "shop") selling it because he apparently doesn't wear it much (5-6 times he says). New box, it's not like it's an old watch so I doubt it would be frankensteined inside.

2. clotheshorse69

clotheshorse69 Senior member

To dress as stealth wealth, one must actually possess wealth

3. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

THe Parts Unknown Iran was excellent. I love the cinematography of the series, and it was fascinating.

I'm heading there March/April 2015.

1 person likes this.
  4. the shah

the shah Senior member

I haven't seen that episode, or any for that matter, but anyway despite the very nuanced representation of iran in the western media, the place is incredibly diverse with many ethnicities and a whole range of climates/environments and, according to polls, the largest pro-US population in the middle east, whatever that means. If you go during start of spring season it'll coincide with nowruz, the Iranian New Year (a ten billion year old festival celebrating return of spring and all the life it brings), which is a great time to visit. You can do anything from crazy parties (not my cup of tea, I was called a conservative and villager because I preferred exploring the countryside and maintaining my senses) to seeing historic sites both pre- and post-islamic architectures, train at a Zoroastrian. House of Strength, check out the BBoy scene, visit tomes of great poets and sip tea, smoke opium and follow dervishes around, hike great mountains, ski, etc. Tehran is ok but it's a giant city of 17 million people and I prefer not going there. If you go to Isfahan, you're more than welcome to stay with my aunt. She loves having guests from around the world. It's pretty cheap to get around, though sanctions have made food prices go up.

If you're interested, the movie Tehran Has No More Pomegranates! is a concise and silly historiography of the capital's evolution over the past century. No One Knows About Persian Card is a look at modern youth life there.

Feel free to get in touch and discuss anything more if you care to: -)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    15 people like this.
  5. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Senior member

Ok, I would like you to show me around Iran.

2 people like this.
  6. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

I definitely will be in touch before I go, a place to stay in Isfahan would be glorious.

I'm thinking Isfahan, Mashad (if I can get there, mainly for the Shrine), Shiraz and Qom. Logistically I haven't thought anything through: I just want to see old buildings, Islamic and Persian architecture and old shit. Though if there's a large party going on I might try to get invited and see what happens. I've heard the Caspian Coast is also magnificent, but I'll only have 14 days - at most.

One question: when I go to SE Asia's Muslim majority countries (Malaysia and Indonesia) I often feel really intrusive when I try to go inside Mosques (with the exception of Malaysia's National Mosque which is, obviously, tourist friendly). I mainly feel intrusive because they are sacred spaces for the faithful and I don't want to disturb or belittle that. BUT I REALLY WANT TO SEE THE BEAUTIFUL BUILDINGS.

Is it cool in Iran if I wonder into mosques outside of prayer times? Or is it hard to generalise?

7. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

+ 1000

8. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

9. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Stranger video is so good!

3 people like this.
  10. habitant

habitant Senior member

I find that Bourdain feels restrained on parts unknown. Like right wing CNN is specifically going to these 'conflict' zones with him to show that they're hip. IMO the entire show seems phony, no reservations was more raw and sincere.

1 person likes this.
  11. diniro

diniro Senior member

Vice's Munchies series just released guide to Tehran coincidentally.

pt 1/3

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

pt 2/3

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

4 people like this.
  12. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    11 people like this.
  13. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

i'm hating shopping so much right now

and i need to vent so i don't make a dumb purchase

:fu: :fu:

i want to sell everything

:fu:

2 people like this.
  14. momentoftruth

momentoftruth Senior member

fully agreed. The additional budget for HD cameras is nice, but the show is basically just visuals at this point. The Shanghai episode was pretty sad in that regard, especially when Bourdain acted like a court jester for the rich guy and his "creative class" buddies in the unfathomly well-stocked wine room. When he jumped ship from the Travel Channel he'd mentioned that working for CNN would give him more access to places, but as a viewer I dunno if the tradeoff was really worth it. At least he still does fun shit like crash a random wedding or gorge on street food

15. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

Apparently the Shanghai episode used some shots of Hong Kong. Haven't spent too much time in either city so I didn't catch it.

I wish he hadn't stopped the Layover, that's probably my favorite of the travel shows he's done.

16. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Hood by Air is the special guest for Pitti 87. Alas, poor @Synthese, how can we prepare him?

4 people like this.
  17. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

@kindofyoung No problem at all :).

Really happy you guys liked it and thanks for the kind words.

Fok, I am sure we can find something for you if you ever come through Lagos :nodding:

4 people like this.
  18. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I think he already has drop crotch shorts.

19. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

I've definitely noticed that, compared even to season 1/2, there's much less food. I remember really finding the Detroit episode fascinating, but there's obviously not a great deal of food in that episode, same with Congo.

I'm not a big Bourdain fanboy, so I just treat it like a travel show and it works for me. I know a lot of people enjoy his acerbic and vitriolic rants, so I guess there is some magic gone, but I just revel in the visual spectacle.

20. Jabonator

Jabonator Senior member

The soles on my HMMMMMM's have also started to detach. Any tips on gluing them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.