1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I got mine through goods cph.

2. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I'm 5'9 with monkey arms and my Andersen Andersen is a little too long in the sleeves, they are designed for Scandinavians, so they should be perfect for taller guys.

3. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

bought a gitmanxlibertyxunion made shirt off ebay. paid $45. dude left the tag on: retailed for $245. i'm sure he got it on sale, but i almost feel bad.

4. jwalterweather

jwalterweather Senior member

5. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I can sell you my Albam jeans for 245 and they were less new, if that helps. :)

I love it, I'm sure they push Distorbiant's jackets back every time he complains, just for shits and giggles.

3 people like this.
  6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Moderator

We had this conversation a couple of years ago, when you were planning out No Man Walks Alone, in Florence. The way I see retail evolving is for more self-brand and actual exclusive makeups in small runs, to avoid of the price race to the bottom, and on business models like online MTO, in order to mitigate risk, and again, to avoide that killer price drive to the bottom.

Incidentally, the artificial constraints that the European governments have placed on sales is not working either, since those can only apply to domestic sales. As you know, what is happening is that European sellers and American buyers are taking advantage of the arbitrage created by ineffective tax law enforcement and poorly thought out market regulations, so that American buyers are getting much better prices than they could from domestic stores, and European stores are getting revenue, and tax dollars are being lost on both sides. I have had several European retailers tell me that 70%+ of their sales are to the US. Incidentally, I've also heard from a lot of Europeans that they buy American goods directly from American stores, again, getting a better price due to ineffective tax law enforcement.

And yes, it's barely November, and 20-50% sales already popping up. Sales season is no longer punctuated by holidays. Instead, it's a game of chicken where pretty much everyone is risk adverse and swerves off course as soon as they see the other car coming.

7. LA Guy

In some instances, for sure, but the leverage that big retailers hold over their vendors is enormous. The idea of "markdown money", in any other world, is oure extortion. It essentially makes the vendor responsible for sellthrough of their own goods at a retailer, after delivery, though they have no control over any instore marketing or other messaging.

8. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yea but the vendors are at least in part (as I understand) responsible for creating and enforcing fairly high markups, which in turn creates the incentive for every retailer to try and deviate from cartel pricing.

9. LA Guy

As for all things, I think that it depends on who has the leverage.

10. Peter1

Peter1 Senior member

Fuuny. I live in Europe and a French friend today was bemoaning the fact that Black Friday sales are now showing up in France. Regarding the constraints in sales: those laws are honored in the breach, as they say. Sure, France still has the two soldes, which are pretty much a disincentive to pay retail, but more and more "exceptionnel" sales are appearing in the shoulder seasons

Is it really ineffective tax enforce,ent as to why Europeans buy US goods from US stores? I think it's the VAT and because US retailers/ producers do a straight dollar/euro price conversion.

Having said that, My problem is that I'm totally average size so nothing I really want ever goes on sale...

11. LA Guy

Americans are supposed to pay taxes on import. Hardly anyone does.

12. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Much like use tax when purchasing items online from a other state if your home state has sales tax.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  13. SmileForum

SmileForum Senior member

These sweaters fit large to size as you can see from the picture on Need Supply's model with the crew neck(I have this one in off white). If a large one ever shows up somewhere, you might wanna go down a size. It doesn't fit as great as they show.

14. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

Not that I want to pay more, but I would probably mind paying duties at least somewhat less if there was a remotely reasonable way to estimate how much they are going to be before the fact. Took a stab estimating it for some 70% wool/30% linen trousers coming from italy on the government homepage before giving up. The taxonomy is so archaiccccc.

1 person likes this.
  15. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

https://www.dutycalculator.com/

16. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

Is that thing accurate? I've used it in the past and been surprised, but very small sample size.

17. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

Duties are just too much. Everyone I know lies on customs forms because the idea of paying 50% of an item's value in duties is just absurd. I realize I'm probably oversimplifying the matter, but I'd probably not try to skirt around duties if they were the same as typical sales tax.

1 person likes this.
  18. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

Anybody got a recommendation for a conical burr grinder that's a step up from the Capresso Infinity? http://smile.amazon.com/Capresso-56...14874615&sr=1-1&keywords=conical+burr+grinder

The dial on mine gave out after...seven years, maybe? and I don't know if I can just get a replacement dial.

The only thing I didn't particularly care for is that you have to hold the coffee container (the part at the bottom that collects the ground coffee) in place while it grinds the beans; otherwise, I'd probably just buy a new one, maybe the version with a metal casing.

On the plus side, if someone asks you how much something you're wearing cost and you're embarrassed to tell them, you can just quote them the amount marked on the customs form.

19. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

The government raised the tax on imported custom suits earlier this year. Used to be something like 7%. It's now something like 25%. Add just 1% of cashmere into the fabric content, and it can be as high as 50%. It's absolutely crazy.

This kind of thing happens every few years though. The government enacts some crazy tax to appease some lobby group, then things get really lax and they find nobody enforces it. Group gets mad and lobbies for harder laws, and things go back to being crazy again. Kind of works for everyone, really.

1 person likes this.
  20. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

I've been using a Baratza Encore for about a year and a half now and I like it. I don't take coffee as seriously as some of the guys in the coffee thread though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.