1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I grew up in Southern California, but I'm pretty sure everyone hates LA. It's not just people in San Francisco.

2. thewho13

thewho13 Senior member

Someone I'm friends with on Facebook posted a link to a NYMag article on normcore and I was about to facepalm so hard until I came across a line about consumers being exhausted by fashion and the "need to look distinctive."

I still like nice clothes (whatever that means) but I've become so much less interested in wearing things that make me stand out so much. I'm not sure what exactly to chalk it up to, but fatigue and discomfort are definitely factors. Sorry for laying down the thoughts of a disengaged bum, but I think I'd rather wear far less expensive clothing and splurge instead on good beer, whiskey, and my gym membership.

/who

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    5 people like this.
  3. juliettes

juliettes Active Member

all my teams are injured or awful, and while I'm willing to stick it out, it's not the greatest viewing experience. particularly salty about Randle. Just need some college basketball to start up again because we're awful at CFB

-
    I watched the documentary Seamless today in my Asian Am studies class and I was surprised to see 2003 Cloak (though only Plokhov and not Geller was featured). I was supposed to be paying attention to Doo.Ri but I got kind of distracted in a real life meets internet moment. Cloak was also the only menswear out of the 10 finalists too.

The insight into how fashion as an industry functions compared to what we encounter online is super fascinating and it makes me reconsider what designers I'm looking at. Hopefully I can influence my buying decisions by supporting a brand I like because of the designs and the personalities behind them and not just because stuff looks cool and is hyped online. Also, supporting a brand so I can make be a part of a relationship from vision -> article -> consumer. It puts stuff like Snowman's time with Pier Wu in a cool context (sorry if that's a bit creepy, ive been lurking a while).

Also interesting to see the switch between struggling designer and high profile designer. They talk about margins and profits in the documentary and most of the people were not profitable. But then you look at big "mainstream" brands like Kors or something that makes a ton of money and tracking their move between the two. Also scary how fashion is controlled by a certain group of people, which wasn't necessarily a secret, but the niches covered on SF (and the "secret internet fashion club" feeling) are put in a particular context to.

I'm also now looking up random awards given by the CFDA haha.

2 people like this.
  4. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

Don't give any shits about baseball and love LA, but if its about baseball there's no way the dodgers/giants "rivalry" or whatever is is purely one sided.

5. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Cricket>baseball. It is known.

2 people like this.
  6. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

I hate the Giants (from a Braves fan). Yet I am very happy to see Tim Hudson finally get his....the Braves with the management they have in place were not going to give him a WS ring thats for sure. Hey and Mr .184 batting average himself Dan Uggla gets his ring too

7. jet

jet Senior member

true dat

love it, cue Kat Williams vid

8. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

Never heard of this brand before today. Very on-trend street wear stuff (long hems, joggers, neoprene etc) but the fact that these wool sweaters have thumb holes has me intrigued. THUMB HOLES!

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Thumb holes are great in the winter under gloves

10. OccultaVexillum

No, I'm dead serious. I want these sweaters. Thumb holes are everything.

11. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

So am I, they stop the wind getting in between your coat and gloves.

I have a couple sweaters with thumb holes

12. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Is the brand called thumb holes?

5 people like this.
  13. SmileForum

SmileForum Senior member

If you're interested, Andersen-Andersen has thumb holes as well.

1 person likes this.
  14. OccultaVexillum

oh my bad, brand is called "Premium Co". But yeah, it's pretty hypebeasty. Like I said I haven't heard of them prior to today so I don't know their history or anything, those sweaters just caught my eye.
    Thanks, I'll check em out.

15. ridethecliche

Everything I see something described as 'premium' i read it in this guy's voice:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I was just on the phone with the SF Chronicle fashion writer, and she was like "Everything here is sorta crazy." And I was like "Oh, why's that?" "Oh, just something called the World Series." "Um, right. Yeah, that's good, right?" I had no idea that it had actually concluded until I just came into this thread to catch up from the last 2 days.

1 person likes this.
  17. LA Guy

Incidentally, some of you fuckers come to the NYC trunk show so that we can have a SWD vs CM Jets vs Sharks style showdown. It will be the least menacing faceoff of all time.

5 people like this.
  18. LA Guy

Welcome to Nice Collective 2005 (I actually have a few of those lying around).

19. ridethecliche

Hah, what timing. I'm missing it by a week :/

Welp, I get to not be the worst dressed person there. Success.

20. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

People selling various Gap x GQ collection items "at a loss" of 5-10% below retail, when they all used 40% off codes to kop. :rotflmao:

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.