1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Crockett & Jones has a bunch of models that would fit this. Carmina might as well, and they still do single MTOs (though, I don't know if that would be over $500).

Meermin once let me design a boot and I came up with these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They're no longer doing single MTOs, but they have group MTOs. You could see if they'll organize something like what you described. The ones above are made from Japanese shell cordovan, which I really like. IIRC, I think their shell cordovan model was originally $400-ish? Calf would be a bit less -- like around $250, I think.

1 person likes this.
  2. scrolls

scrolls Senior member

Thought C&J boots would be more expensive, looks like they do have some that fit what I'm looking for. Like yours a lot by the way, pretty much what I want. Thanks.

3. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

I like this topic, what have you found so far @scrolls

I want a boot that does not have speed hooks, which I think makes the overall aesthetic less elegant. I want a clean, fall-winter "city" boot similar to your request. Carmina has a few but they all have speed hooks that I also find cumbersome. I like slipping into my shoes by loosening the laces and using a shoe horn.

I'm holding my breath for more Carmina offers to come.

4. scrolls

scrolls Senior member

My two favorites so far are:

AE Long Branch though they discontinued the color I like the most (Brown Waxy). The AE pictures (as usual) are pretty bad--Google Images has better ones. And they come with two pairs of laces if you dislike the red ones.

C&J Islay thanks to dieworkwear. I like these more but doing some research has really made me prefer a commando sole over Dainite which is what these have.

5. fairlynerdy

fairlynerdy Senior member

You could contact Allison at AE to see if you can still get in on the brown shell Bayfield. They're brogue captors but fit your other criteria well. More details in the AE MTO thread.

I have a pair of Carmina captoes for winter wear and love 'em. They're on Dainite, though.
    [​IMG]

6. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

So since +J didn't bring back the shawl collard cardigan anyone got recommendations for something similar? I really liked the brown color and also liked that the shawl wasn't super large and I could wear it popped up and it stayed up. Also I'm not paying $600 for a knit.

1 person likes this.
  7. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

Enjoy your popcorn then![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. ghostface

ghostface Senior member

potentially enormous intrinsic value if you really like tigers. congratulations on your life-altering thrift store find.

3 people like this.
  9. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Thanks. It's pretty awesome.

10. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

it really depends on the tpsi (tigers per square inch) ratio

this versace shirt is flooded with tigers and is highly sought after:
    [​IMG]

whereas this ebay 3-ti (three tiger) find isn't nearly as luxe:
    [​IMG]

In conclusion, I recommend buying 1980s topps baseball cards as an investment rather than 1980s cdg shirts

21 people like this.
  11. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

having a small closet sucks

it either forces you to pair down your wardrobe, which you may start making rash decisions and regret it later

or I think far worse depending on your perspective is asking whether you should focus on one direction (aesthetic, designer, etc.)

At least this is from my experience.

I recently cleared out the second section of my closet thinking I'd have more space. That didn't last long...sigh

when shirts, jackets and pants start getting crammed, and the hanger is not hanging straight but tilted because all the clothes are pushing every which direction, i get really uneasy :butbut:

shirt collars start getting pushed in a little, lapels get squished, pants are okay i guess (they might wrinkled a little)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  12. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

man, I know how ya feel
    I am in the process of finally unloading some stuff I have been meaning to for quite awhile, and i know another round is coming in a few months. In the long run, though, I've never regret selling something - there's always something new and exciting around the corner.

Speaking of which, if anyone wants to buy any of these items (more coming all today), holler at me:

http://sellinglist.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/user/alexcscharf

1 person likes this.
  13. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

I really like how la garconne did their women's stylings. Especially the one with the Margaret howel large coat

Unrelated, might be letting go of my Rick Owens intarsia. Going to try it on again when i get home and decide.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  14. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

if you're looking for something cheap, i'm going to (unsurprisingly) recommend wool overs.

1 person likes this.
  15. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Please. Anybody could tell you that you should buy Donruss or Fleer in the 80's. Lone exception is the '85 Topps (so many rookies).

Yes, except you (living in densely populated areas) have to deal with legitimately small closets. Toasty, on the other hand, has a walk-in, but not one big enough that you can lay down and do push-ups.

16. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

Are casual wool pants a good idea? Tried on the OL "tweed" ones today, which fit great but felt slightly itchy. What worries me most is how they´ll deal with winter winds, hate the idea of some icy winds blowing straight through them (given the looseish nature of non-felted wool fabrics) in January.... advice?

17. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

The fibres trap air fairly well, but flannell or very heavy tweed is needed for windproofing if you're going with wool (unless you fancy long johns). Heavy moleskin works well against wind and corduroy is okay.I'm tempted by the highwaisted Le Laboureur cords as winter trousers...

1 person likes this.
  18. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

You can have tightly woven wool. Most of the pants I wear are made from wool, and the the dense, heavy ones are what I wear in the winter time. I've never had an issue with itchiness. Wool flannel, in fact, used to be used for underwear.

1 person likes this.
  19. canstyleace

canstyleace Senior member

flannel and serge seem pretty windproof ime, tweed not so much unless they're fully lined

1 person likes this.
  20. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

Thanks! Heavy (british) moleskin and cord is my winter staples! I can definitely recommend the low waist straight legged Le Laboureur cords (heaviest fabric ive encountered) for winter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.