• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a cultural memory that spans centuries, is my point. My family tree can be traced back before the founding of this country, and has survived multiple dynastic changes. Maybe you can honestly say that this means nothing to you, but it's clearly important to many people. Otherwise, adopted kids would not look for their biological parents, and people wouldn't spend time and money trying to trace their ancestry.
This is just not true if you look through a different lens. My achievements are not purely my own. That is one of the reasons that Chinese mother's don't ***** and moan about not having "something of their own", and invest so much in their children. My achievements are considered my parents achievements, and my failings, also theirs. And what I do or do not reflects on not just my parents and myself , but on my family name. I wouldn't expect a westerner to understand, however, nor anyone who embraces individualism, which I think is one of the most lonely, and at the same time, constricting, ideologies. Read the Analects, and not just to "understand them" on a superficial, intellectual level, and you'll get it.

that's cool that you know so much about your lineage, and I can understand how that creates a sense of being part of something larger than yourself. i guess that's one of the big drawbacks of diaspora, that sometimes that knowledge is lost. i can trace my family tree back like a hundred years and that's it.

thewho13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone feel free to point out if this is a gross misconception, but I've always thought that uprooting your family from one place to move far away to another because of a "job transfer" is an almost exclusively American experience.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Someone feel free to point out if this is a gross misconception, but I've always thought that uprooting your family from one place to move far away to another because of a "job transfer" is an almost exclusively American experience.

But how do you think all the 'muhricans got here?

Earnest Hemingway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jazz has been back for a while...

particularly in the Scandinavian world:

Esbjorn Svensson Trio is amazing; it's a damn shame Esbjorn Svensson himself died in a scuba diving accident in 08

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Iiro Rantala New Trio is pretty good too, although I wish they had some "real" percussion:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score
yeah I have no pedigree whatsoever, but I'm ok with it. I definitely "get" why people care though; partly it's a cool sense of belonging to something greater than yourself, even if it's nothing you can control.

My father's father came here as an infant and had his surname changed at Ellis Island to what amounts to a fake name (just a mild modification of the Polish that it was). So I find it strange to see that there are a small handful of other people with the same last name but aren't part of my family since it was just made up. Meanwhile, back in Poland his (much) older sisters stayed and ultimately became concentration camp victims (and in one case a survivor that eventually came to America after the war) while he grew up here and fought for the States in WWII. Sort of weird how that worked out.

My mom's parents came as children from Italy and moved to a city that was/is known for supposedly having more people from a particular Italian city than were left over there. So just peasant status group emigration. No sense in tracking anything back, we're American now and are just going forward.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yeah I have no pedigree whatsoever, but I'm ok with it.  I definitely "get" why people care though; partly it's a cool sense of belonging to something greater than yourself, even if it's nothing you can control.

My father's father came here as an infant and had his surname changed at Ellis Island to what amounts to a fake name (just a mild modification of the Polish that it was).   So I find it strange to see that there are a small handful of other people with the same last name but aren't part of my family since it was just made up.  Meanwhile, back in Poland his (much) older sisters stayed and ultimately became concentration camp victims (and in one case a survivor that eventually came to America after the war) while he grew up here and fought for the States in WWII.  Sort of weird how that worked out.

My mom's parents came as children from Italy and moved to a city that was/is known for supposedly having more people from a particular Italian city than were left over there.  So just peasant status group emigration.  No sense in tracking anything back, we're American now and are just going forward.

I'm American, Honey. Our names don't mean ****.

Jabonator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
particularly in the Scandinavian world:

Esbjorn Svensson Trio is amazing; it's a damn shame Esbjorn Svensson himself died in a scuba diving accident in 08

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Iiro Rantala New Trio is pretty good too, although I wish they had some "real" percussion:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Iiro Rantala new trio was an interesting project, although a short one. Iiro's doing a lot of things nowadays, I think he plays classical on occasion, too. Released some solo music, including a song he wrote for Esbjörn. His first project Trio Töykeät is really good. I know the rest of the trio personally, and have played a bit with the drummer. This is probably my favorite track of theirs, atm.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Their last album High Standards includes some interesting covers of popular songs.

On a more rft note, a friend of mine just said on fb, that he has a friend who has a huge scarf, and calls it a poncho because he wears it like one. This was a bit weird to him. I won't say anything.

Last edited:

TWorksheets

Reaction score
A girl I know is looking for a ladies varsity or ma-1/flight jacket. She's into that whole girly K-pop style thing. Any recommendations on NA based brands/stores that I could recommend to her?

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If my OL blazer sells I'm putting those funds away to buy f+b elf boots. They won't go with anything I own, but I love the way they look.

Severisth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would buy the OL blazer if it was a 46, really regret not buying one when i had the chance

TWorksheets

Reaction score
Not trying to brag or anything, but that jacket is awesome and I keep forgetting I have one. It's sitting smushed between a bunch of bulkier black jackets and I seriously need to put a post-it note on my door that says "wear that constellation jacket you idiot"

On the flip side, I've had more than one person tell me that from far away it kind of looks like I have really bad dandruff

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 90 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads