• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urthwhyte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've traveled pretty extensively (caveat: within Central Europe and the UK only) and have to say the best times were had when it meant staying somewhere for more than ~a week. You simply don't get the same experience hopping from city to city as you do spending a while getting to know the area.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've traveled pretty extensively (caveat: within Central Europe and the UK only) and have to say the best times were had when it meant staying somewhere for more than ~a week. You simply don't get the same experience hopping from city to city as you do spending a while getting to know the area.

While I don't dispute any of what you just said, that's not to say that somebody cannot go to a city for a few days and not come away with a few experiences that they'll look fondly upon for the rest of their lives. And really, isn't that what it's all about?

Actually, what's funny is that in connection with that other article that's been floating around here the past couple of weeks that says people derive more happiness out of wanting something rather than actually having it, I derive an immense amount of pleasure from getting the Fodor's guide for the city I'm going to visit. I will thumb through the book, sometimes for months, and create whole day long itineraries. Some people might say that this would take the whole fun out of the trip, leaving it with no sense of adventure, but I don't see it that way.

momentoftruth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course you can travel just for short trips, I just have got a whole lot out of living in different environments and would have a problem if the only traveling I had done were for trips and nothing longer. But I was fortunate enough to grow up in a few different places, so I'm sure that's affected my sense of place greatly. To each their own, but I have met people who consider themselves world travelers yet have never moved from their hometown, and that is something that just doesn't speak to me.

Dorje

Reaction score
just sniffed terre d'hermes now, ****... might get the bottle

Go through some testers first, that frag is mostly iso-e super and many/most people get tired of it after a while. All of that perfumer's frags are entirely synthetic and get really annoying after a while. Plus, it kinda has an old-man vibe to it IMO...

Urthwhyte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I don't dispute any of what you just said, that's not to say that somebody cannot go to a city for a few days and not come away with a few experiences that they'll look fondly upon for the rest of their lives. And really, isn't that what it's all about?

Actually, what's funny is that in connection with that other article that's been floating around here the past couple of weeks that says people derive more happiness out of wanting something rather than actually having it, I derive an immense amount of pleasure from getting the Fodor's guide for the city I'm going to visit. I will thumb through the book, sometimes for months, and create whole day long itineraries. Some people might say that this would take the whole fun out of the trip, leaving it with no sense of adventure, but I don't see it that way.

I'm simply not the sightseeing type, so heading somewhere for just a couple days doesn't appeal. My favourite vacations have been doing things like two week trips, cycling, snowboarding, learning to windsurf, hiking coasts - they're all things that connect you with people much more genuinely than you get in most cities. I don't disagree there's value in the Eurail/RyanAir weekend-getaway esque trips where you spend a day or two in a city or country, I just feel there's less of it.

Urthwhyte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RFT: Considering buying that suede 5-zip that's on sufu right now - am I crazy considering I live in Seattle? Will I end up doing this:
images

3/4 of the time?

Last edited:

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How is it not still like that? The people "touring" foreign countries for months at a time were the filthy rich aristrocracy.  If you're filthy rich today you can do the same thing... plus, with a few grand in the bank, you can backpack through most cheaper countries for months at a time, which is a much better opportunity than any of the middle class really had even 60 years ago.

You're right. What I should've said was I should've been born filthy rich.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just get an umbrella.

Got poured on at the sounders match last weekend and had my Julius leather on. Oh well.

Last edited:

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm simply not the sightseeing type, so heading somewhere for just a couple days doesn't appeal. My favourite vacations have been doing things like two week trips, cycling, snowboarding, learning to windsurf, hiking coasts - they're all things that connect you with people much more genuinely than you get in most cities. I don't disagree there's value in the Eurail/RyanAir weekend-getaway esque trips where you spend a day or two in a city or country, I just feel there's less of it.

Sounds great, but I imagine that most folk, like myself, just don't have room in the budget (in either time or money) to embark on such journeys. For those who can, I wish them all the best.

I'm going travelling in April-May-June down the West coast, across Mexico, and up the East coast to Toronto. It's going to be fun.

Will you be changing your user name to Unemployed Stiff? :BCD!

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RFT: Considering buying that suede 5-zip that's on sufu right now - am I crazy considering I live in Seattle? Will I end up doing this:
images

3/4 of the time?

Did you just get here? You can wear whatever you want around here. The hard part will be finding anyone else who notices or cares.

Just get an umbrella.

Got poured on at the sounders match last weekend and had my Julius leather on. Oh well.

sounders :slayer:

Last edited:

dwyhajlo

Reaction score

I think you've misunderstood. I don't think you're contradicting his point but agreeing with it. Yeah, he has the money to travel a lot, which is great for him. Most of us don't. But the underlying point is the same: it's an experience he's spending on rather than an object. His point isn't about spending less money; it's about spending it differently. Rather than spend your money on clothes or gadgets or furniture or a big house or an expensive car, spend it on things that enrich your life in a different way. Actually, you know what research finds makes people really happy? Helping others. And you can do that for free. I would also like to add that most of us on this site aren't millionaires, but we're not exactly broke either. We do spend a lot of money on accumulating stuff. There's a lot of lusting after things on here. The point is that getting that thing isn't going to make you happy for any extended period, and that point is relevant to the SF audience, whether it comes from a millionaire or not. I actually think that's something most of us realize, but it's good to be reminded every so often.
I think my language may have been imprecise before? Maybe it's because I was being a bit roundabout or obtuse with my language. I didn't mean to say that minimalism is anti-consumerist, rather I meant to say that quite often it is is a different way of practicing consumerism - one which is touted as being a smarter/better/whatever way of practicing consumerism, but is, by my impression, relatively inaccessible to a large number of people. The irritation is that it seems like most often it is people of privilege (e.g. in this case a dot-com millionaire, or, say, The Beatles) saying "it's just that easy to completely change everything." For a lot of people it's not, and I think it comes off as: (1) pretty callous and (2) myopic. With respect to my second paragraph, I didn't necessarily mean to say that these "doing" experiences are necessarily better (which appears to the argument of the original author), rather, I meant to say that these experiences quite often are subjectively more satisfying. Whether that's good, bad, or [...?] is another matter. Sorry if I was being unclear.
Everyone has two biological parents; each of those parents had two biological parents; and so on. Is there a person anywhere who cannot say "I am the 24th unbroken generation of my family"? What is a "broken" lineage but an ended one?
Most of my family on my father's side died during Stalinist purges and famines. There are 5 people in the world with my last name. I'd call that somewhat broken.
Where can I buy this?

Last edited:

Urthwhyte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you just get here? You can wear whatever you want around here. The hard part will be finding anyone else who notices or cares.
Not a Seinfeld fan I take it? In that episode Jerry buys a suede jacket with a candy stripe lining and turns it inside out to avoid ruining it during a snowstorm, which makes his ex-gf's father think he's effeminate. Was mostly a question about whether I'll have to baby suede given all the drizzle we have here or not, but snake's umbrella suggestion is true enough. Now just to bargain the guy down a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads