1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

well rest are sold out so I'm SOL

don't think its that bad...

I browse my subscriptions which these days are SW&D but i have quite a few from CM because i like Shoe damage and Carmina thread. Hence, i have epaulet as a thread I'm subscribed to. But, i can see how many would just skip the section in general unless they wanted CM clothing.

Front page with popular threads would be great or maybe in the subscriptions sections between the navigation bar and subscriptions title you can have another area that has top articles roll through.

How popular is the big footer on SF that has all the Recent discussions,reviews, articles? I imagine that can be revamped in a way to make it smaller and moved on top so people can see it.

hey i like the black :embar:

2. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

BTW, why are those Viberg boots on sf front page at a price point of $700 (mostly calf btw, shell i'd understand more). They are cool but is there anything that makes them much better than Aldens, Trickers, etc? I am basing my price on link and am not trying to start an argument on pricing. I am genuinely curious at what makes Viberg worth the moolah... Maybe i'll get a pair if I'm sold on em.

3. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I've asked this more than once in the Viberg thread and I truly don't get why they are that much more expensive, I think they have reached a point, where if they go any higher they will loose buyers.

They had some boots earlier this year at $1000-1100.

4. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Those shoes are actually worth exactly $723.71, which makes them a steal at $710.

Some people are surprised to learn that worth can be objectively pinpointed to an exact price like this, but it's true.

6 people like this.
  5. canstyleace

canstyleace Senior member

this^ sounds like a great project, I'm gonna try it myself (except maybe I'll go with a light-medium grey or a cobalt blue for the paint)

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Vibergs are probably among the best made "tough" footwear in the market. If you are looking for something like that that is also fashionable, it's really the go to place. I am in firefighter country, and we see a lot of White's, etc..., and Vibergs are definitely a step above in the make. The designs are also much more interesting and suitable for someone interested in fashion and style, as well as function. There are some Japanese brands (don't ask me which, right now, I've had a brain freeze), that are analogous, but from what I've seem and what's been explained to me (I am not a shoemaker), the Vibergs are superior in make and materials. I;m not sure that I believe that, but in any case, the prices are similar between Vibergs and those brands.

I don't feel that the comparisons to Alden and Trickers makes any sense, since the You may as well ask why you should buy Guidis when you can buy Edward Greens.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  7. LA Guy

Which sold out in a matter of minutes. That was for shell.

8. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I know, but its still an insane amount, for me at least there's a mental limit at the $1000, which just makes me go, nope.

I'm european so I have shipping cost and 33% vat/tax on top, which makes them $1400 before they land.

Some of the pictures posted in the White's thread recently are horrible, crooked heels etc.

9. Ramonzz

Ramonzz Member

Anyone else a fan of jun takahashis work ? Btw i'm new to the forum :)

10. LA Guy

Black is okay - we put them in the lineup, after all. I just don't personally like them that much.

Re the site layout - that buttom unit is not that useful, nor that used. What we have played with a lot is the structure of the header and the features and main activity feel. There are certainly things that I want to highlight, like the newsletter articles that will be coming out soon (incidentally, in case anyone care, @Synthese will be our new editor-in-chief, starting soon), editorial features that will be interesting to our core members but also accessible and interesting to people with a more casual interest in fashion, etc... There are a lot of underutilized toods, liked tagged pages, galleries, and the article system, which I hope to be making greater use of, and highlighting more.

2 people like this.
  11. LA Guy

Who doesn't like Undercover? Yeah, I like it.

1 person likes this.
  12. LA Guy

I'm the same way. I am not even that big a fan of shell, but people like it, and people are willing and able to pay for it. I think that the only sensible answer your question is "FML." The same can be said for "why can't I dunk?", also, and possiby related "Why am I not 6'2" and immensely athletic", and also "Why am I not better looking?"

RE. the boots - it's hard to sew through really thick leather.

13. washedout

washedout Senior member

Was watching college football the other day and the amount of people at these Auburn/Alabama/OleMiss games wearing vineyard vines must be some kind of record. A sea of pink shirts and bow ties.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  14. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

It's not really an able thing, but more me being "overly" sensible and knowing I can get multiple pairs of Trickers or something else for the same money and we all know multiple pairs are better than one, but oddly enough I'm not bothered by paying $10k for a sofa and $40k watches make perfect sense and I would mind paying that kind of money for one.

15. SmileForum

SmileForum Senior member

Anyone has a 100g+ core loft jacket? I'm trying to get an idea of just how warm the Veilance Sinter IS coat is (140g core loft). Never bought a tech jacket before.

16. J BAILEY

J BAILEY Senior member

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  17. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Yea i couldn't think of many things in that style of shoe so Alden (sw&d mark ups) or Trickers country collection came to mind. Whites is definitely a better comparison.

I guess the look is just not for me. Others I'm sure love it, good luck with the mtos.

Have you ever thought about getting a UX designer or consultant?

at 1k+ i just make sure i am getting exactly what i want. I sometimes cross that particular line.

In general, i went through a pretty long sw&d boot exploration. Around fw12 i had 6 (maybe more cannot recall) sw&d boots (vaz rajan, varvatos, shoto, buttero, trickers) if i had combined the price of all of those i could of had the MA+ back zip which was exactly what i wanted at the time instead i had a lot of boots that were great but not exactly it. I sold most of those as i explored "cheaper" alternatives but Buttero stuck. I later compromised and picked up a1923 reverse calf back zips (quality was awesome) but it wasn't exactly what i wanted. At one point i ended up ordering CCP, it was a big risk because it was expensive and i never handled them and wouldn't be able to handle them since no one stocks CCP in the bay. Luckily it was one of those great events where i was super happy with the end product.

I think i went off track but it comes down to that at 1k i know what i want and other things as FF said at 1k+ makes me say "nope" as well. I guess thats how i feel about the vibergs at 700 because given all the info up above they don't sound like they are for me.

BTW still don't own ma+ back zips but i found something i like more in the process.

18. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

The Allen Edmonds background on the front page is insufferable.

1 person likes this.
  19. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

But rediscover 'Merica man! Shits is on SALE! :happy:

20. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

the AE Leeds model is a nice derby shoe

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.