1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

they tend to run half a size big but it depends on your foot because they can be a bit narrow in places.

No, not really worth $400 and there are other options now as Fok mentioned.

2. Muri

Muri Well-Known Member

I'm dying here down in Santa Clara. Pretty sure we hit 97-98 F during the day.

I've also been looking for some nice outerwear to wear when I'm in NYC this Dec. Looking for a nice fishtail parka with a removable lining (so I can wear it in spring too). I'm in love with the TOJ fishtail. Too bad you can't buy it from them anymore or I would definitely order one.

3. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Yes i saw the Epaulet sneaker run today as i was looking into CP and its a great alternative that i'm considering. Problem is I wanted something sooner then Jan/Feb 2015. I am on the fence about it for now.

Thanks, yea i am looking thinking about the below
    [​IMG]

Yea my jackets aren't getting much wear. I work in SC area and its always hot. Would be pretty happy if it rained a bit more.

4. washedout

washedout Senior member

Are there any alternatives to CP derbys?

5. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

alden derbys

6. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

Related to this, what kind of paint are you planning to use if you decide to paint it?
    Doesn't seem like I'm getting my Siki Im sold, but it doesn't get any wear, so I'm thinking of painting it white.

7. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

Man, I like those sneakers but those gum soles look ugly as hell to me. Why couldn't they have just done white? :/

Also, damn you @LA Guy for posting that thread on the CM side of things. I totally missed it. Why wasn't it posted on SW&D? Traffic?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  8. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

U gotta look at the main page once in a while. That's how I saw it.

9. zissou

zissou Senior member

Well, it's happened again. My wife left town for a few days, and I dropped a grand at NMWA.

24 people like this.
  10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I use a soft touch, acrylic, fabric paint, and usually do a thinner base layer, and then a thicker layer over that, for a more even look. Just skip the base layer if you are going for a more DIY, bohemian look, which is what I did for my sashiko jackets. It depends on what you are trying to do. If you are painting from black to white, you are going to need at least 2 layers, unless you want the black to show through, which is actually more difficult, because instead of a cake of paint, you will need to do it very, uniformly. In that case, I might even recommend using a sponge.

One way or the other, it's a fairly time intensive project, You will to space it out over a few days, and allocate at least 2 hours to each session.

I decided to do the overpainted black. I did a small, hidden patch, yesterday, just to see what it would look like. It's not bad, but because it is black on black, I am going to have to put on several coats for it to look like anything.

Incidentally, if you guys like to do the Margiela white out everything look, it works really well on mended, busted up, old garments, which was Margiela's intention in the first place, giving an old garment new life and new identity. Plus, if you do it right, it turns out like his many "covered" objects,and things like patches and embossed patterns from wear become a three dimensional feature apart from its original purpose (prolonging the life of a garment).

Hope that helps.

4 people like this.
  11. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

Appreciate the thorough response, will see if I find something suitable downtown
    Hoping that it'll turn out somewhat similar to this:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. LA Guy

All of these things. We wanted to reach out the CM crowd, and to get people from SWD out of their comfort zone and into other forums. For example, there is no reason that travel and food discussion should not be had in the appropriate, non-clothing sections.

Part of the our goal is to make people use all the tools on the forum to get maximum discoverability. The issue of balkanization is much more prevalent in the SWD part of the forum, where there is more exclusive use of the subscriptions feature, and do not use the activity feed on the front page, or browse other parts of the forum.

The gum soles make sense with the vintage feel of the shoes, and with the nature of the shell cordovan. Mike did one of the pairs in a white sole, and it just didn't work as well. He does have other materials (in suede, for example), where the white contrasts well with the nap and softer colors.

13. Distorbiant

I don't browse anything but SW&D and the Marketplace.

14. wogbog

wogbog Senior member

295$ is a tempting price for those. Gum sole makes sense with the colours imo

15. Distorbiant

My gripe was with the black pair. The rest look good with gum.

16. wogbog

wogbog Senior member

Ah that makes sense. Shiny and black + gum doesn't look so good.

17. LA Guy

I know. That goes fora lot of the SWD crowd, so we want to put some of the attractive crossover products and features in neither of those sections. For example, we will be doing a newsletter, and all the articles, including @Synthese 's articles, will not be housed in SWD, but in a separate articles section, and will only be reached either through the link in the newsletter, or by active browsing or subscription to the editorial articles.

We want to give good incentive for SWD users to modify their browsing behavior.

18. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

The epaulet thread is in sw&d and they have been mentioned there more than a few times.

19. LA Guy

Yeah, we thought about the navy with white as well, but after taking a look at the leather, the gum made more sense, especially in the context of the collection.

Black, I dunno. It's suck a boring shoe that I thought that the only way to redeem it was with an interesting sole.

20. LA Guy

Yeah, and we actively asked those posters to go to the thread in CM. There is so much more on Styleforum than a few threads in SWD. I think that cross pollination is a good thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.