1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

The man is a Golden God.

2. DLester

DLester Senior member

a short interview with DVN about his new exhibition: "Simply titled Inspirations, the show just opened at the Musée des Arts Décoratifs in Paris, offering an all-encompassing glimpse into the visual world of Dries Van Noten."

[VIDEO]
    [/VIDEO]

3 people like this.
  3. msg

msg Senior member

Am I crazy to think I can buy a belt that's too big and cut off the extra length? It's probably 10cm too long. Will that ruin the belt? Assuming I can find something sharp enough to cleanly cut leather.

4. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

It depends on how the belt was made. If it's one big hunk of leather, like something Zissou made, then yes, otherwise no.

5. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

So, I just read the recent BoF article about Brother Vellies, a footwear brand that's trying to introduce us yanks to traditional south african shoe-making techniques. seems kinda cool, especially since we talked a few days ago about the need for more interesting fashion startups. but none of that's important-- what's important is that someone buy these things:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
    2 people like this.
  6. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Anyone know if someone makes bespoke casual shoes? I'd like to get a pair of boots made to look like this -- asymmetrical toe cap with a bit of distressing. Julian came to mind, but their lasts aren't quite right for this, I don't think. Anyone know where I can turn?

RTW suggestions would be welcomed as well. I certainly would prefer RTW, if there's something similar.

[​IMG]

cc'ing @LA Guy cause he may have some good suggestions

7. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

They look like OC Desert boots.

[​IMG]

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Asymmetrical toecap plus distressing? I dunno who would agree to both of those things, man. Its that an actually military boot of some sort? Sorta looks like a jumper boot.

9. Lorcan7

Lorcan7 Senior member

Those distressed boots look a bit like that pair Ryan Gosling wears often. I'm sure if you ask his stylist @Bam!ChairDance nicely he'll hook you up with a pair

[​IMG]

13 people like this.
  10. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

I'm afraid Ryan has switched permanently to furry desert boots

5 people like this.
  11. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

I was thinking of making myself an apron out of techno material and nylon/grosgrain ribbon for the strings for the days I'm in the studio. Will let you know when and how it comes out.

3 people like this.
  12. dieworkwear

Ponyboy?

13. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

Please do [​IMG]

14. sipang

sipang Senior member

Well, I don't know of any, which is kind of my point.

I don't think we're in disagreement though, guess I'm just more skeptical. I don't really feel like talking generalities about the democratizing power of the internet (or whatever) when the main achievement so far is an ever growing pile of insipid brands with the combined creative merit of a reblog.

I'm not saying that barriers haven't been knocked down but thinking that all you need now is motivation and good ideas strikes me as a bit naive and not particularly useful an observation. And despite what you're saying, not all brands are equal in this if only because truly original or well-developed ideas will always take more time and more resources to be brought to fruition. And so, when you have a venue like the internet that works on hype and visibility, this asymmetry can only be exacerbated, and when in addition to that the internet supports and rewards unscrupulous operations that are already inherently favored because they can throw all their $$$$ and energy on hype building and undercutting (because, you know, they can just cherry pick someone else's work) it can be fatal. Sure, it sounds alarmist and it doesn't mean shit to big companies like Owenscorp but the trend it points to has worrying implications for smaller and less visible designers and all those motivated ppl with good ideas that have put in the time and effort and money.

I think that's fucking depressing.

2 people like this.
  15. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

16. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Phil the koffers

17. jet

jet Senior member

I've got a buddy who was never into fashion and then the whole kanye thing happened about three years ago. The du turned into a mini kanye mimicking most of his moves which was really weird but thing is he was into the wrong, hype driven things. Next thing I know he's buying red sneakers and a fear of god tee. He must be reading some fuckwit's blog or some shit if I had to bet money.

18. dieworkwear

This guy has been posting his YePC fit pics in almost every fashion forum except StyFo. I actually think it looks pretty good, although I know it's not exactly highbrow stuff. :hide:

http://imgur.com/a/B5hqL

This thread, however, is full of YePC fit pics, and every single one looks awful.

http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/index.php?topic=1222913.2412

19. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

I think that boot is from a japaenese video of some sort that was in the Vanson moto thread and idk what the boot is but i know a boot that comes very close see:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.nicecollective.com/en/product/reznor-combat-boot-f14-2001.html

20. dieworkwear

Thanks.

FWIW, the boot is from the StyleLikeU profile on Tay Trong

http://stylelikeu.com/profiles-2/closets/tay-trong/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.