1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

Yoox has just put up a whole bunch of alpaca knits, if anyone is looking for any. It seems like an odd coincidence, but who gets a "shipment of alpaca" (scarves, sweaters, outerwear, everything) from 10 different designers at once? Mauro Grifoni, Dries van Noten, Marc Jacobs, Prada, Dsquared, Esemplare, Dolce & Gabbana, . . . . everything's 5-100% alpaca.

Some nice thick-gauge and patterned knits, some of them not too expensive.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

It was a strenuous process from what I hear. Yoox reps had to fly down to south america to make peace with the bosses from the Alpaca cartel (pictured below). They now get a hefty percentage of Yoox profits as 'protection money', but hey, the sweaters are worth it right

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  3. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

It's the alpacalypse.

22 people like this.
  4. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Ooooo. you out B!CDed B!CD.

8 people like this.
  5. canstyleace

canstyleace Senior member

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  6. accordion

accordion Senior member

Do you guys think that looking at the clothes rather than the model, as in separating the look of the outfit from what the physique and features the model brings to the outfit, is kind of a trained skill? I often find it difficult to do, and sometimes get annoyed that brands will use universally attractive models to enhance their lookbooks. But on the other hand, it's equally difficult to see the appeal of good clothes on unattractive, or more normal looking models, despite that being a more... responsible thing to do. Like I can't look at any totokaelo pants because of their bowlegged model. I can't focus on anything but his curved legs and it fucks up all my judgment.

1 person likes this.
  7. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

Almost never look at the model, unless you happen to look exactly like him...

8. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

the absolute best scenario is when you find a model whose body is similar to yours. it's like the rosetta stone of e-commerce

1 person likes this.
  9. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

I find it helpful when the store tells you more about the model, things like his musical tastes and hobbies.

9 people like this.
  10. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

don't forget that they pin all the clothing when they shoot for e-commerce and lookbooks so even if you are roughly the same size as the model it might not fit like the picture anyway

11. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I'm lucky in that regard

[​IMG]

10 people like this.
  12. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

13. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Most of the time it fits like shit anyway.

Look book models are supposed to look bland and not attract attention unlike the ok-ni model.

If the shops found a model, who was closer to the average person size wise and have some info besides height, it would help a lot, I've seen some shops have started telling chest measurement etc., which helps.

14. pickpackpockpuck

i don't agree. lookbook models are like any other models: they're there to make the clothing look good and to create an overall appealing image. they're hired because of their proportions and appearance, not to fade into the background. there's a reason "average" sized people generally aren't used, and even if they are it's because they have a desired look.

15. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

You are there to look at and buy clothing and not look at the models bowlegs, unibrow or abnormally long arms and having a 6'4 110lbs model doesn't really help me with anything, they could just as well have put it on a mannequin.

I know why they don't use "normally" sized people, but as before mentioned, a beanstalk doesn't help 99% of the buyers determain whether or not it will fit their body type.

Tbs, frans Boone etc. has some good models, who look close to what the avarage buyer looks like.

EG's AW13 look book model was great as well.

16. pickpackpockpuck

yeah, still not agreeing, and this statement makes a big assumption. but it's just a difference of opinion. no matter what the only way to know how something will really look on you is to try it on, even with good average-sized models.

17. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I'm talking body type, not skin color etc. I don't know a lot of 6'4 guys with no upper body definition, which seems to be popular model body type for online shops.

For european at least shipping shit back and forth costs a fortune, the cheapest package I can send in land is $20< and within Europe we are $40<, which means you are going to be a lot of money out of pocket.

18. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Obviously the guy with the forehead tattoo enhances my overall impression of the clothes...

19. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

Muji is coming to Toronto!
    Papa snow had a meeting regarding logistics, they're supposed to open in the fall!!

Fashion related, the North American president of muji wore a Canadian tuxedo and chucks to the business meeting.

6 people like this.
  20. canstyleace

canstyleace Senior member

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.