1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rais

Rais Senior member

Count yourself lucky that you can even wear a tee. It's the middle of winter here and I didn't even wear a shirt yesterday; just had on a perforated, vented and unlined running jacket and a pair of light track pants.

2. thewho13

thewho13 Senior member

I propose an all-SF anime-binge watching marathon.

6 people like this.
  3. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

One of the CM side ballers gets asked by NBA players for help with his Hermes connection.

4. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

:slayer:

5. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I don't think :foo: is in the NBA.

1 person likes this.
  6. jmaudi0

jmaudi0 Senior member

7. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

:confused: 'N' could be for 'Nibelung'

8. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

You don't need to be in the nba to help MBA players. ;)

9. arthur1640

arthur1640 Member

Good read from the GQ fashion blog. Makes some pretty valid points about how linen is overtly praised. I tend to agree with some of the things he says. How people have blindly accepted this fabric as a summer go-to staple; how people have just fed into the belief that they should purchase linen clothing simply because it "should" correspond to summer wear overlooking some it's impracticalities. For example, it is indeed wrinkly, translucent and scratchy. All true; not the most ideal adjectives to describe a piece of clothing (for any type of season). Linen also has a terrible drape; takes it's own shape. I realize that that should be part of the appeal of the fabric and the look of it but on a personal level, I don't want my shirts hanging and dangling regardless of whether or not it is summer.

Nonetheless, it's a good read. May perhaps deter some from ever touching linen again!

http://www.gq.com/style/blogs/the-gq-eye/2014/07/style-rant-linen-is-overrated.html

1 person likes this.
  10. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Was JJ Reddick.

11. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Nothing will deter me from linen, not even GQ.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
    4 people like this.
  12. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

You may be right.. I'm somewhat curious. lol

So JJ has a hard time shopping at Hermes?

13. dieworkwear

?? Huh? Linen can be really soft, and historically and today has been even used for bedding (hence the term "bed linens"). It also drapes fine if you get it in a heavy enough weight (like any cloth). If by "doesn't drape well," the author means it wrinkles, then yes ... linen wrinkles. As for the part about them being unwearable after a wash - you can iron them, like any other shirt.

The translucence thing is all about the weave. There are some really closed weave linens, and some open weave linens. More open weave linens wear cooler, but it's a trade off.

Don't really understand the author's argument, personally.

5 people like this.
  14. APK

APK Senior member

No, but he used to be.

[​IMG]

24 people like this.
  15. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

Nice, one dude's reaction coupled with wikipedia citations. Sweet article indeed.

He neglected to reference the bit in wikipedia that says: "When properly prepared, linen fabric has the ability to absorb and lose water rapidly. Linen can absorb a fair amount of moisture without feeling unpleasantly damp to the skin, unlike cotton and wool"

Which probably is the biggest reason Linen is considered a summer fabric.

Also "Linen is a very durable, strong fabric, and one of the few that are stronger wet than dry. The fibers do not stretch, and are resistant to damage from abrasion"
    <- This too probably makes it a good summer fabric since it's nice having something that is thin/light but is still durable.

Plus "Linen is relatively easy to take care of, since it resists dirt and stains, has no lint or pilling tendency, and can be dry-cleaned, machine-washed or steamed. It can withstand high temperatures, and has only moderate initial shrinkage."

But he didn't bring those up huh? Yeah, personally not one to let my preference for something change because of an article where the author selectively only chose bits of information to share that match his stance, but do as you will!

1 person likes this.
  16. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

I have linen sheets which really do keep you cool at night, but not that much linen outside of Orlebar Brown Shirts etc

Linen also makes great beach towels

17. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

Yeah I've wanted to pick up a beach towel ever since jet told me about it. Hasn't seemed super practical since I only go to the beach maybe 1-2x a year at most, but then again the word practicality seems a little bit silly coming from my own mouth.

18. dieworkwear

The only thing I don't like about linen -- and doesn't get brought up much in articles -- is that in shirtings, it can get really, really dry after it's been washed and hung. So you have to spray it more with a water bottle, which adds to the ironing time. Otherwise, you risk damaging the cloth. Slightly a pain in the ass, but whatever.

19. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

This guy has no idea what he's talking about. He basically mentioned every made-up drawback possible without any benefits. Please. He's never seen anyone look good in linen pants? Look at WAYWT...

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.