1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Fuuma's neew place all Lightning McQueen from Cars

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

I don't wear watches, but if I did it would be an ALS. The Cartier fan in me wouldn't mind a Santos-Dumont either

I know multi millionaire dentist driving around in beater Toyotas. Of course the money is spent on other vices

Haven't you guys seen that commercial? It's not the size of your watch or car.....it's the size of your yacht that counts

3. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

That is as far from my own experience as it possibly could. I'm willing to bet I met a whole lot more WIS/ watch enthusiasts than you have, having been to meetups, events, or simply hanging on watch forums, and if there is anything in disproportion, it is certainly not aging bros, but rather nerds. Really nerdy, detail-obsessed people of all ages. There's something incredibly fascinating about the mechanics of precise horology : the idea that I would wind a stupid freaking spring and that the tiny little gears in it would work together to produce an accurate time +/- 1 or 2 seconds a day vs a computer clock, with no use of electronics, just gears and axles is already impressive. The precision work of guilloching a dial, engraving a movement plate - sometimes with great aesthetic sense - are just the kind of thing that make me tick. I like to see craftsmen do things at a level of skill that impresses me - and the fact that we can wear those little engineered pieces is pretty exciting.

I understand how others could not give a flying shit, question the very necessity of a watch since they look to their phone for time - but I think it is a worthy passion / hobby.

7 people like this.
  4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I have a custom belt with a Wakugi buckle coming in from Equus, and a Kapital stitched denim cap also on its way. So... essentially I'm stuck in 2008, but with much looesr fits.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Fok,

Do you have a belt from Terry Dear? If not, you should get one. I have one a few years old in his ultra thick bridle leather/natural oak bark tanned and it is aging in an amazing and beautiful way.

6. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Any pics? I can't imagine how a bridle leather belt really ages -- at least not in the sense of how harness or saddle leather age. Maybe Terry's stuff is different.

7. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Maybe not bridle. Here's Terry's description of the belt in an e-mail:

The leather is slow-tanned in oak-bark tanning liquor over a period of 12 months. The thickness is 5.7-6.5mm (15-16oz). The buckles are hand-cast and hand-finished solid brass.

8. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Terry's stuff is bridle. Mike over at Indigoshrimp used to rave about it, but I never saw photos showing how the leather aged in the way that other leathers age. I have bridle leather belts and like them a lot, but think of them as a much more "dressy" leather. I wear them with casual pants and sport coats or whatever. Saddle and harness leather gets used with jeans, and I like them for how they evolve over time. They look "rougher" in their evolution than bridle, if that's the right word. More workwearish, I guess.

9. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

10. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

Wouldn't that hurt the resale value?

Is that the same as space docking?

11. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

I'll get photos at some point and you can take a look.

1 person likes this.
  12. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

This is a nice belt, but different. It won't really evolve or age in any noticeable way like the belts we are talking about will.

13. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

it will stretch as i get fatter... maybe noticeable

14. jet

jet Senior member

There is some seriously bad taste in really expensive watches on instagram (surprising I know). The best is when this one guy talks about watches and correlates it with art and how some people don't understand all while his taste is absolutely horrid. It's the best

15. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

16. jet

jet Senior member

check out watchleo on instagram and read him wax poetic

17. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Would be funny if it was someone who posted in the CM thread. :embar:

18. AlexanderTG

AlexanderTG Senior member

Should have had circus music playing while I tried to fold my first pair of J-shaped Zams. :)

19. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

LOL had this happen as well

20. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Very good point, I conflated basic luxury watch buyers and horology enthusiasts much too quickly. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.