1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kashmir

kashmir Senior member

just for the hell of it, what contitutes good taste and bad taste in cars? beyond the obvious ones like chris bangle BMW, SUVs and minivans

2. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

The analogy between GATs and watches was only that once you become familiar with shopping for them, you become good at spotting them in the wild. I wasn't using SF brands as an example of prestige lol.

3. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

Need Yohji wool gab in my life.
    Maybe instead of a 40k watch I'll get the yohji 40k jacket? Better gaiz?

3 people like this.
  4. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Speaking from personal experience, I can tell you that the Honda Odyssey represents the high-water mark for taste in the world of automobiles. While I cannot be sure that such traditions are carried out in other parts of the world, when on the streets of Cleveland, if one encounters another fine connoisseur of mini-mass-transportation we tend to give each other a knowing nod of approval. I could teach the nod to you, but I'll need to see a pic of your Odyssey first, and please, only 2010 or newer.

19 people like this.
  5. sipang

sipang Senior member

Please let this Yohji bump end the watches derail

3 people like this.
  6. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Good taste:

[​IMG]

Bad taste:

everything else

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    2 people like this.
  7. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

I own the most photographed watch in America.

8. eljlakers

eljlakers Senior member

I'd take it a step further even. It's very much about people's perceptions of the wealthy differ from region to region. I grew in Southern California - the signifiers of true wealth at that time and place were weather you could walk around in a Polo shirt, not a Brioni suit and a walnut dial Rolex.

I also don't run around in moneyed crowds, but I have to think that if you're in an industry where your opinion of someone you're about to do business with fluctuates depending on whether that person is wearing a $40K timepiece or simply a $2K timepiece, you're in an industry more consumed with superficiality than substance (re: banking, finance, wealth management).

I'm not trying to besmirch anyone interested in purchasing a $40K watch - if that's how you want to spend your money, fine. But if that's the gateway to being considered adequate, then you might want to look at the circles you're trying to break into.

9. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

I wear the same watch as Buzz Aldrin wore while taking space shits.

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

1. Ahem, am offended. I have a very influential blog. People care.
    2. Hate the term "networking". There must be an alternative.
    3. Would you think the opposite if the guy was wearing Aldos? Or is he just being normcore. And would that be bad?

11. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

I only wear watches during daytime networking events when I want to reflect the sun into the eyes of moneyed executives. Add me on linkedin or go blind, bitch

2 people like this.
  12. LA Guy

I have watched this fucking movie about 300 times. It is the movie of choice when we driving in our minivan. So, I am going to say that my good taste in cartoon cars balances out my bad taste in minivans (Honda Odyssey, for anyone who cares, split screen tv).

13. LA Guy

Bitch, mine is a 2012, fully decked out. You don't even know it yet.

4 people like this.
  14. LA Guy

I have never done this. But, I may or may not have raked the face of a prominent executive with the S-clasp of a Flathead bracelet once, when, for some reason, possibly fueled by alcohol, a meeting turned into an impromptu Jiujitsu lesson. Rivets hurt, man.

2 people like this.
  15. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I honestly can't imagine what kind of conversation I'd have to be having with someone for me to care about what kind of clothes/ shoes/ watch they're wearing. Maybe if he's giving me advice on what kind of clothing I should buy, but that's it.

Networking always seemed really slimy to me, so it deserves a slimy word.

16. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

It's from a movie!!?? I just google imaged toy car and chose the best one, future soccer mom styled by blind half-sister was just a bonus.

17. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Was the men's collection (his first, right?) as disruptive or viewed as avantgarde as his womens debut in '81? Seems like the oversized suits and monochrome palette was already happening in menswear with Perry Ellis, Armani, et al. As opposed to maybe Gaultier who was doing men's skirts and weird androgynous stuff.

You know I am big Yohji fan. There are a bunch of looks in that collection I would still wear now. It's also cool to see a continuous thread in his details and styling 30 yrs later.

1 person likes this.
  18. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

<nods>

1 person likes this.
  19. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Most watch guys just give an approving nod or say nice xxxxxxx, never heard of anyone getting hired or not hired over a watch, inappropriately dressed is another thing though.

I think the problem is that the watches people notice are the nouveau riche watches, that ballers, oligarchs etc. wear, which are generally ostentatious as fuck Jacob the Jeweler type stuff, it's the same people who buy a yellow Lamborghini, mac mansion and all Gucci/Burberry/LV, but for what they pay, you can get something truly beautiful and understated.

These people buy something because they want people to recognize that they have money, real watch people buy watches for themselves to enjoy.

Good taste is generally vintage european cars like old Citroens, jags, Alfa's etc. and don't think aficionados would say any new cars are good looking or maybe something like the new Alfa's and Spyker.

The car is from the movie Cars.

1 person likes this.
  20. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

good news guys, the most tasteful car is also available on the most tasteful watch

[​IMG]

9 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.