1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joewood

joewood Well-Known Member

lost

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  2. ImaPro

ImaPro Senior member

Anyone know sizing for Balmain sneakers?

3. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est Senior member

New SW&D challenge that I want everyone to partake in:

DO SOMETHING

2 people like this.
  4. steveoffice

steveoffice Senior member

and mae oon ttang.

1 person likes this.
  5. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

The @nicelynice question: I have one thing from 2007 I still wear, one thing from 2009, and then it slowly ramps up from there, with 2011 being where I can look back at pictures and go "this is what i'm doing in 2014." Of course, there's also lot of other stuff back then I don't wear anymore. But those things from way way back, I'm not seeing anything that connects them, nor are they "man, everybody shoulda bought this, it's still so good" grails or something. It seems to be just chance that they still work with what I wear. Plus my purchases have slowed down since 2012, and I've been taking stuff out of the rotation that I was wearing then.

I'm finding it interesting to consider the arc of one's style with specific dates involved (looking at old photos and such) because you learn what you were actually doing as opposed to what you just remember yourself doing. Like I don't dress today like I did 4 years ago, and only some days how I did 2 years ago, and the story the pictures tell of that progression is not how I would have recalled it. so thanks for posing that question, i guess.

/self-involved navel gazing

I would not be surprised to find that we're all wearing shit we mostly bought in the last 3 years. I wouldn't be surprised if that's how styleforum's worked for some time now. Let's ask this question again in 3 years.

3 people like this.
  6. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

Im so boring I wear same stuffs from 2010, and 2010 me can probably wear the clothing I bought last week

7. steveoffice

steveoffice Senior member

I think I had my dior 19cm and raf derbies for about 4 years now. I have pieces that are much older but I'm not the first owner.

8. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Senior member

I can think of a few things that I have had for awhile, but going back before 2007 it gets tricky... well, actually, I can say that I have had a pair of black Gap jeans for over 10 years. I think I bought them in 2003. They are straight leg but they feel exceptionally roomy. I wear them whenever I work on cars, so they are about 50% oil and brake fluid by now. I also have a navy polo from American Eagle that is roughly the same vintage (and is only worn with the aforementioned Gap jeans).

Once I started to really invest in fashion, or have the slightest clue what I was doing, that was happening around 2007. But at first that meant doing stuff like having three pair of Allen Edmonds (under the theory that, "wow, quality!" these will last 10 years or more!! -- they were ebayed within 2).

Stuff I've still got that gets regular rotation:

1. APC New Standards. Purchased in Fall of 2009. Have worn and washed countless times since. Got them tapered at some point mid-2011. Bleached them in 2012. Still going strong; just now starting to fray around some stress points.

[​IMG]

2. Navy tie. On the more CM side of things, I picked up a navy tie at a small shop in Verona, Italy in February 2008. It has a texture to it, sort of like a grenadine, but it also has a self-colored stripe pattern too. It basically serves the same function as the CM guys talk about with their navy grenadines as it reads as solid from more than a couple feet away. It's my oldest tie (unless you count ones inherited from my dad) and has probably seen the most wear, and it is still the one tie I would grab if my house were on fire and I could grab only one.

[​IMG]

3. SNS Herning Stark. Purchased in October 2011. Not the oldest item, but easily my best knit, and it has become somewhat part of my uniform in the colder months. And I wasn't by any means the first guy on styleforum to get one, but I'm given to understand quite a few that followed did so after seeing my fit photos.

[​IMG]

4. H&M 100% linen suit. Purchased Spring 2010 for $90 plus tailoring. Was meant to survive at least one wedding; has now survived several more plus regular wear (including even to court). Also I get a ton more wear out of the pants on their own without the jacket.

[​IMG]

Oh, and my RRL chinos. But there's already a whole goddamn thread devoted to those. In closing, these four were the stand-out items that I can trace back to more than just a couple years ago but that are still getting consistent wear today. I certainly bought a lot of stuff from around 2007 to the present that I have either sold or donated, and apart from the aforementioned "mechanic clothes" I don't think I have a single item that I can think of that predates 2007.

I think a large part of that is not that I disliked the style of what I was wearing back then but that nothing was the right size. So once I got sizing figured out and learned about brands that worked for me, it didn't make sense to keep around all the stuff that was way too big, even if it was otherwise inoffensive aesthetically. Now, I'm notoriously hard to fit as I am pretty much "outside the pattern" of any mass-market clothes in the US and to some extent even elsewhere, but I think no matter one's size, a lot of guys were buying stuff that was too big back around 5-10 years ago and before, so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of stories are similar to mine.

4 people like this.
  9. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Moderator

10. conceptual 4est

I wouldn't normally do this, but I think little Alice has shown her face enough on this site that I don't feel too shy about it.

As a reminder, she is this little monster:

[​IMG]

This weekend she was attacked in the dog park and had her jaw broken, requiring surgery.

She's gotten a root canal, wires to hold things in place, and a plastic jaw on top. She will fortunately recover, but will likely have a wonky jaw / crooked smile. It all looks very promising though, so we're all relieved that it's worked out well so far.

To help with this, we're having a little fundraiser at the park in Williamsburg so if anybody wants to come by that would be more than appreciated!

[​IMG]

For those of you that aren't local, there is also a link to donate towards her surgery if you feel so inclined. Any help is much, much appreciated! If I'm in violation of any rules feel free to remove the link, but please keep up the info about the fundraiser this weekend for any locals!

EDIT: I should clarify that I am not the legal owner of little Alice. She is one of my best friend who lives around the corner's dog, but we've been with her from the start and helped with everything that went along with the initial rescue (she was abandoned at around 12 weeks by an owner with depression and a drug addiction whose therapist said a dog would help) and we consider her a part of the family. I don't want to be misleading in any way about this, so sorry if I was.

29 people like this.
  11. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Why is the other dog's owner not liable?

12. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

@conceptual 4est that's a cute shih tzu, I hope she gets better.

Post it in @lefty dog thread, I believe he's a NY local.

1 person likes this.
  13. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Jesus, conceptual. Really sorry to hear about your dog. Hope she recovers quickly, and glad she wasn't more seriously injured.

1 person likes this.
  14. conceptual 4est

They are, and they're helping out how they can, but it's not really easy on anyone involved to have to put a dog through surgeries, hence the fundraiser(s).

15. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a couple sweaters (Pringle) which my dad bought in the 60's and which I started wearing in the 80's that I still wear. I bought my first pairs of modern selvedge jeans in about 1998-99 - one pair of LVC 47's that are worn out, and a pair of Denime that I still wear. I have a Dries suit I bought in around 2002 but it's not that great, though I still wear it on occasion. My style has evolved but it hasn't changed in a major way for a long time.

3 people like this.
  16. jet

jet Senior member

really wish i could still find knits like this

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

looks awesome? what is it?

18. jet

jet Senior member