• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

wurm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
brands actually show stuff at pitti? i thought it was just a gathering of narcissists trying to get their picture taken

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

then there is another building with Barena (definitely not MC, btw, if you've ever seen the stuff)

Yeah, I see what you're saying. It's kind of a mix to me. The jackets and stuff definitely work in SW&D. Maybe it's just a matter of presentation, or perhaps my misunderstanding of CM since I admittedly never look at that side of the site.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Is there a reason that CM is so much more receptive to stuff like the coverage from Pitti? I've been thinking of shutting that part down completely in subsequent visits, except maybe for a couple of photoshoots with already established brands like S.N.S. Herning.

Most of the SWD brands at Pitti aren't really the kind that renew themselves completely every season and where you await with bated breath new items but reliable staples with a quality output that is very similar season-in season-out. I mean I own two SNS sweaters and like what they do but it's not like Im wondering wtf will happen with the clothing and how crazy the show will be like with Berhard Willhelm. If you add the totally boring blog-fodder style of the participants it is bound to create less online reaction while still being a major and quite interesting fashion event for those on the ground.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I guess that that begs the question of what, if any, SWD coverage we should do? Forget anything remotely goth, or ninja. That **** seriously gives me a rash. You guys can talk about skinny ninjas, but I don't have to go to the shows, and report back to you about them. Also, there has to be enough density for the expense to be worthwhile. I'm not sending a guy to Paris to cover a single show that will be plastered all over the place anyway. That's one of the reasons I like tradeshows. Everyone covers Dior and Jil and whatever Hedi is trying to do, so there's no sense bothering to chime in on those.

Earnest Hemingway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I guess that that begs the question of what, if any, SWD coverage we should do? Forget anything remotely goth, or ninja. That **** seriously gives me a rash. You guys can talk about skinny ninjas, but I don't have to go to the shows, and report back to you about them. Also, there has to be enough density for the expense to be worthwhile. I'm not sending a guy to Paris to cover a single show that will be plastered all over the place anyway. That's one of the reasons I like tradeshows. Everyone covers Dior and Jil and whatever Hedi is trying to do, so there's no sense bothering to chime in on those.

No, it doesn't.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fok, what's ninja to you exactly ?

As Hendrix pointed out, it think the lack of reaction has probably less to do with the content than with the difference in dynamics between MC and SW&D. Speaking only for myself, I enjoy reading about some of the Pitti stuff in moderate doses but that's not really my kind of **** so it's hard for me to talk or get excited about it. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate it though.

Regarding coverage suggestions, I'd really like to read about / discover labels that aren't associated in some form or another to classic menswear or heritage stuff, by which I mean that I wouldn't mind seeing coverage of more fashion-oriented (blahh) events or labels. True, big names coverage would be redundant at best but what about smaller operations maybe closer to Schneider (or Yang Li or Leder or Peir Wu or ...) in size, to take a well-known example, than to Dior or Jil ? Could be showrooms or smaller shows during PFW, stuff like Siki Im, Ervell etc during NYFW etc etc.

Obviously, I've no idea of this whole thing works so those are just super abstract suggestions.

I'll do a Dries Van Noten interview for styleforum

Last edited:

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is there an "official Dries thread"? Not that we really need one, but I'd read it if there were.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been thinking about making one for a while. Just need to grab enough content first to flesh it out a bit.

^^ Yeah, I had forgotten about that Siki interview. More stuff like that.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me, the really interesting part of fashion is the intersection between art and commerce. So, I'm most interested in labels that bring some innovation, but have a mind towards trend and saleability. The idea of the modern artist, for me, is purely mastubatory and uninteresting. I'm interested in how a creative works within constraints. I could be persuaded to cover the Stephan Schneiders of the world, but not the CCPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads