1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Did Dries change their online retail/general retail structure in the last year? They seem to have gotten a lot more strict about sales and also selling between reasons. I saw the textured suit I was interested in at Barney's btw @sipang. Around $1095 pre tax during first round. Second round supposed to show on Tuesday. Before people ask, they don't adjust from sale price to sale price, only full price to sale. You could return in person and rebuy I guess.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  2. jet

jet Senior member

No it's always been like that.

1 person likes this.
  3. MS007

MS007 Senior member

Of course I must happen to ask when for once its about fashion in this thread. Thanks for the pms, though!

On topic: it is ridiculous if you want to become a designer and have never heard of Antwerp six, helmut or margiela, period.

4. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Not everyone gives a shit about Europe.

Or Japan.

Or America.

5. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

This conversation sucks, so here's a shaved bear.

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  6. dolt

dolt Member

@gettoastyHave one that's like a year old and it shrinks a little in the dryer but stretches back out. Mostly hang dry though. Have another that I just bought and washed for the first time this weekend and no noticeable stretching from hang drying. I don't think you should worry about it.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. dolt

dolt Member

Not much to do over that way but you can get to NW and downtown pretty easily from there, and the inner east side via sellwood or downtown. bNot knowing anything about your tastes I recommend blue star donuts downtown cus they will change your life. I think there's a thread around that has people with lots of portland food recommendations. Hard to go wrong these days.

I might be out of town for much of August but if you want to get a beer with an Internet rando/lurker let me know when you're here.

8. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

I mean my local art museum has some margiela pieces on permanent collection, these are hardly niche artists. Yes you can physically make decent clothes with no knowledge of fashion history, probably, but that's not a good excuse for 'fashion students' to be totally ignorant.

9. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

ICA?

10. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

No, MFA. They might rotate it out sometimes but it's frequently there, in the contemporary section.

11. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

This is blatantly false and the fact that your knowledge of a set of practices, representations, acceptable objectives, institutions, technical terms and even social practices at large DOES influence your "aesthetic taste" is the very reason why people like Dubuffet sought to get rid of all of those influences with art brut.

6 people like this.
  12. ClambakeSkate

ClambakeSkate Senior member

lol, all these people talking about fashion school... Ay yi yi.

I went to school for fashion, in fact, I have a diploma for it!

Some students know more than others about other designers, but the truth of it is, back when I went to school, you couldn't find full collections on the internet. We had to rely on the seasonal collection magazines that we had to travel to NYC to buy and they were $150 per issue. There were separate ones for Mens and womens and Milan and Paris. So that's at least $600 per season just to look at the collections. When everyone did their interships, all of us ransacked our employers for old magazines that we could bring back to school and trade and share.

I spent most of my spare $$$ while in school on bus tickets to NYC and buying fabric there. I didn't have a single cent left to buy decent food, let alone designer clothes.

We learned about Coco Chanel and Bonnie Cashin as far as history of fashion. Primarily I learned how to make patterns, how to sew, knit, fashion illustration, etc. The actual skills are what is taught in a fashion program, not Margiela.

...And there is a whole separate degree for Textile design.

6 people like this.
  13. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

14. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

15. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Dalrymple is a racist, classist cunt. He's the kind of idiot who thinks people make culture but then proceed to tell us individual choices not culture make people.

2 people like this.
  16. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est The Classic Gentleman is Back

17. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Article reads like it was written with a thesaurus in hand

18. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Serving no purpose whatsoever, he's not using specialized language to convey more directly complex concepts that would require long explanations (think certain philosophical terms) or even to achieve some sort aesthetic objective, he's just showing off in the lamest way. Orwell must be turning in his grave.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    2 people like this.
  19. kashmir

kashmir Senior member

2 people like this.
  20. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Oh weird. I'll have to check that out. Haven't been in a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.