1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

How could I compete with such styleforum classic hits like

Quote:
    What is the consensus on the boots?

i dunno man. they're pretty out there. People might think you're gay.

2. accordion

accordion Senior member

Sure, and I know that's not what this discussion is about but it makes no difference for an artist to know those names or the histories of their disciplines. Aesthetic taste doesn't necessarily have anything to do with knowledge.

1 person likes this.
  3. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

yup, suit supply is def a good value if the suits actually fit you. unfortunately for me, the only design that worked for my body was their $1000 model. it was their way of telling me I'm high maintenance

4. jet

jet Senior member

why didn't ss fit you?

5. Distorbiant

"An artist not knowing his or her predecessors and contemporaries doesn't matter."

Do you create art for a living?

6. accordion

accordion Senior member

you literally just summarized my post and asked me a passive aggressive question.

7. Distorbiant

I'm trying to get you to think.

1 person likes this.
  8. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I don't know what's the curriculum for most fashion schools, but FWIW, my aunt went to one in Paris, and worked as a patternmaker for some major labels. Her education was very skill based - training in pattern making, sewing, etc. Her son (my cousin) also went to fashion school, but trained in fashion photography, and learned the things you'd need to be a fashion photographer (he now works for Vogue). There may have been a course in there on history, but the focus of the program isn't "academic;" it's on very practical training.

Either way, a lot of undergrads come out of their majors not knowing much about their field. It's not just true of fashion, but of any major (econ, poli sci, biology, or whatever). The lasting legacy of an undergrad education is to train people to think critically, read, write, and do basic math. The facts and theories people read about in class are mostly forgotten two weeks after a final exam. Fashion school is probably a bit more skill focused, but if there's an academic component in there (like learning about major figures), a lot of it is probably forgotten, and only (re)learned later - when they've spent years on the job, talking to people about this subject. This is probably true for whatever you studied in college as well.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    8 people like this.
  9. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

The cheaper model I tried had a weird shoulder line, like really broad compared with everything else. It's been a while since I was fitted, though, so I forget exactly what went wrong. Their 'La Spalla' model (the $1000 one) fit me really well

If any of y'all are interested in suit supply and live near one of their stores, def stop by to try the suits in person. Their cuts are too idiosyncratic for buying them online to really make sense

1 person likes this.
  10. accordion

accordion Senior member

I've no idea what point you're trying to make or if you're making one. Yes you accurately paraphrased me, if I saw the absurdity you apparently see then I probably would not have made my point.

The argument is more or less whether formal training and academic knowledge is necessary to creating good art. Some actors hated acting school, others learned everything they know from it. Some artists never went to art school. Writing workshops will tell you that good writing can't be taught, etc.

11. Distorbiant

That's interesting. I agree with everything you said.

Fashion being simply a taught skill like that might be why respected fashion industry icons like Rick Owens and Fok of Styleforum don't see fashion as an 'art' form. That certainly exists in more technical creative fields, like mathematics (look up Ramanujan for example).

12. dieworkwear

I don't know if that's the reason. There are many fields where the study of the thing, and the practice of the thing, are separated as disciplines. The discussion of whether fashion is art is a much more complicated thing.

There are two good lectures online about this, if you're interested in such a subject.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

A lot of this goes back to the definition of art, the inherent commercial-ness of fashion, and how the English and Greeks have philosophized the body.

1 person likes this.
  13. joewood

joewood Well-Known Member

I don't like H&M, no matter how cheap it is. There's nothing exciting and never felt satisfied after purchasing something from H&M. I guess it's alright, if you don't care about fabrics and nice stuff. Buying a suit from H&M sounds crazy, especially when wearing it more than once.

I occasionally buy boxer briefs from there though.

14. Distorbiant

I'll watch those sometime tomorrow.

I don't think the study of something is the equivalent of knowing and understanding the works of notable people. A good writer doesn't need to major in English or take Lit Crit classes to write well, but they do need to read and familiarize themselves with the work of other authors. It's the human way for creators to build upon the movements of the past and the current, studiously or not.

15. dieworkwear

I presume you didn't study fashion. I didn't either. So hopefully we can get more people who haven't studied fashion to weigh on how to properly learn the subject.

7 people like this.
  16. el Bert

el Bert Senior member

Just depends what your expecting? Are you only staying in SF?

17. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

No they don't and neither do designers. Kawakubos gone on record saying she doesn't care to even look at other peoples work because she wants to create something new

Maybe it's not the way you prefer it but not everything has to go the way you prefer it. There's plenty of good artists and writers who willfully ignore large swaths of other good artists and writers past or presents. Not knowing about good art doesn't preclude you from making good art. It just hurts your chances.

18. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Even sinnedk can recognise a joke post that obvious. We have a new champion, ladies and gentlemen.

19. accordion

accordion Senior member

Also there's a fundamental difference between creativity and intellectualized practice. Reading all the good writing in the world won't necessarily make someone a good writer. A great director can also be a film buff but there's no causal relationship between the two despite what it seems. In art at least, the connection between painting and concept; that art is inseparable from ideas, did not appear until impressionism. Before then no one was interested in what artists "thought," let alone believe that knowledge and intellect had anything to do with creativity.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  20. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Even besides all that, people studying fashion aren't doing it so that you can name drop a designer, throw some adjectives in there and sound like a smarty pants. They're doing it to learn actual things and/or start a career.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.