• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear more/look better in shoes with a bigger profile--thicker sole, subsantial upper--but I'm constantly drawn to sleek, low-profile shoes, especially sneakers. I think I just like how they look on display.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Super, super banal rft:

I get the sense that many SF members (at least those who post frequently nuff in the swd sub-forum) aren't huge sports fans. That said, for those of you who are, I was just wondering what your protocol is re clothes at sports games. Throw on a jersey? shirt/sweater? hat with team logo? Considering how infrequently most users on here will dress for the sake of uniformity (as opposed to dressing in a personal uniform), I kinda wonder how seriously (or not) y'all take sportin' the team colors on game day.

/banal thoughts.

I typically only go to baseball games, so it really depends on the weather. I tend to wear light colored pants in the summer, just because one time I sat in the sun wearing jeans, and it felt like my legs were baking. Last time I bought a cheap team t-shirt, and wore that under a harrington. I don't really like wearing t-shirts anymore as I have a gut. I'm usually wearing blues and grays anyway, so it's easy to match the team's colors. I stopped wearing caps a few years ago, but I might pick one up if I end up going to some games this year, although probably one with the old team logo, as seen here:

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Super, super banal rft:

I get the sense that many SF members (at least those who post frequently nuff in the swd sub-forum) aren't huge sports fans. That said, for those of you who are, I was just wondering what your protocol is re clothes at sports games. Throw on a jersey? shirt/sweater? hat with team logo? Considering how infrequently most users on here will dress for the sake of uniformity (as opposed to dressing in a personal uniform), I kinda wonder how seriously (or not) y'all take sportin' the team colors on game day.

/banal thoughts.

Nothing wrong with putting on team colors if you go to a game. I don't own any jerseys, but I'll throw on team branded apparel (hat and hoodie if it's winter or a T-shirt if it's warm) when I manage to get to Packers' game. It provides a certain sense of camaraderie when you're in a crowd of like minded fans, though it's perfectly okay to wear normal clothes as long as they aren't the colors of the rival team.

Last edited:

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the sweater i ordered from that woolovers site originally said it was in stock, now it says it won't be in stock until "05-02-13" wtf. may? I want my sweater. or does england use a different date format an thats really february 2nd?

Earnest Hemingway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the sweater i ordered from that woolovers site originally said it was in stock, now it says it won't be in stock until "05-02-13" wtf. may? I want my sweater. or does england use a different date format an thats really february 2nd?

:lol: @ ignorant americans

TWorksheets

Reaction score

No way dude,

mm-dd-yyy makes more sense because you read it the same way you would write the date (ie. Jan 25, 2013)

Last edited:

wurm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Serious question -- if you run across a random person (not in a rush, but not in a social setting either where you would go and strike up a conversation) and if you like, even recognize, some of the clothes they are wearing (eg. Lanvin suit rom this season, or whatever) --  would you go up to them and start a conversation about it?  Would you ask if you could take their photo?

I had 2 such encounters yesterday, and both times I chickened out.  I am really regretting one of those encounters, because the guy was in my grail look -- and looked friendly and approachable enough -- and was so obviously a tourist!

i probably would. i think it kind of depends on where you are, though. where i live it's pretty rare to see people dressing well. i wouldn't ask if i could take their photo unless i was a fashion blogger or something.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haha. i knew spain used the other format, but i wasn't sure about the rest of europe. read the wikipedia page and it just confused me. and i was hungover which didn't help.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No way dude,

mm-dd-yyy makes more sense because you read it the same way you would write the date (ie. Jan 25, 2013)

In Canada we did dd-mm-yy, so i still do it that way for personal records - makes sense to me

wurm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my search for fingerless gloves/arm warmer led me to etsy. i need to remember to look for **** on there more often. lots of inexpensive options. bought these arm warmers. i asked if she would make a pair in charcoal and to fit men's hands and she said she would. she also said that if she did charcoal it wouldn't be baby alpaca but a different yarn. i told her to surprise me with either that or a black pair in baby alpaca since i would obviously prefer that fabric. if i remember to i will post my thoughts and perhaps pictures when i get them.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Someone hit me with some decent rug recommendations. Nothing "baller," because, c'mon, it's a god damn rug, but any "mid-tier" brands to check out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads