Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jarude

jarude Senior member

Random thought..
    I really hate it when people wear hoodies underneath jackets with the hood popped out. It rarely looks appealing.

It looks worse with the hood under the jacket creating a hunchback look

2. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

i do it with my denim jacket sometimes

3. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

I dunno. I've seen it look solid in certain outfits. I think a lot stems from GQ having a mild obsession with this a few years ago putting hoodies under blazers, peacoats, and every other jacket. Started to show up a lot on celeb styles like the aston kutchers of the world. How it is generally worn by the masses looks bad most the time but that can probably be said about most everything. Did it the other day with my charcoal lindeberg rider and this black claud maus pullover hoodie. Looked alright i guess. Definitely not a disaster at least. Mainly wanted a warmer layer than a tshirt and wanted the hood for ear warmth.

Damn, i knew rfx was a former streetwear guy but had no idea that he accumulated 13k posts on niketalk. Doesn't really mean anything but just surprising i guess. I suppose when i move onto film noir buff forum they'll someday balk at my 10k SF posting career

4. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

I need a haircut pretty badly and can't decide on if I should just buzz again or do something different.

5. Teger

Teger Senior member

I like RFX45 buttt [​IMG]

6. chronoaug

I need a haircut pretty badly and can't decide on if I should just buzz again or do something different.
    Me too, man. I've wanted to get it cut for a few weeks now but keep putting it off because i don't know. I wouldn't buzz my hair though. I think i'd look pretty terrible with a buzzcut and my naturally chubby/baby face

7. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

Me too, man. I've wanted to get it cut for a few weeks now but keep putting it off because i don't know. I wouldn't buzz my hair though. I think i'd look pretty terrible with a buzzcut and my naturally chubby/baby face

I'm thinking I might just shave the sides down a bit and keep the top to mess around with until I figure something out. I've always been pretty bad about hair other than a buzz though.

8. chronoaug

Yea, i'm pobably going to get the sides down pretty short and leave a little length on top till i know what i want to do. My hair is kinda unruly though. Too thick/wavy/curly to do some things but then it's a bit too straight when i don't want to take advantage of the volume and some curl that it has

9. snake

snake Senior member

It looks worse with the hood under the jacket creating a hunchback look
    So true.
    I think it can look good on certain types of jackets(not blazers and peacoats/topcoats).
    Yeah, what I see most here is the hoodie/peacoat combo which looks god awful imo. It reminds me of the homeless and how they tend to wear everything they own on them at all times.

10. jaac

jaac Senior member

i have grown to like my backpacker beard and greasy as hair, now to find a woman that can grow to love it aswell.

11. reprehensible

reprehensible Senior member

Random thought..
    I really hate it when people wear hoodies underneath jackets with the hood popped out. It rarely looks appealing.

Very practical if you don't have a really warm coat and it's very cold outside, though.

12. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

From what the designer told me, the really high quality "fakes" are not fakes in the usual sense of the word. They are not knockoffs. Instead, they are unauthorized overruns from the same factories that LV uses. So, they are "the real thing", but with a little less QA/QC, and the factories sell these off to unauthorized dealers to boost their profits. Apparently, this is a fairly common practice that LV (and other companies) have failed to crack down on.

Sure, the actual construction cost of *anything* is much less than its retail value. However, legit vendors have to pay for everything, not just the physical construction of the bags - from all of the product design and development to marketing, to training of the very workers making the bags. The unauthorized overruns are making use of all of this infrastructure without paying for any of it.

I feel the same way about LV as you do; also, the materials that go into either a fake LV or a real deal one are fairly expensive, as we are learning on the side. The raw leather handles on an LV are expensive, as far as raw materials go. They also reject and destroy the seconds, so materials cost is multiplied as well. Prada can turn out as many factory seconds as they want, but LV has very quirky exclusive policies. Even LVMH employees really don't get hooked up; they get a chance at employee sales at a slight discount, but I think even then they are limited to like one piece and the sales do not happen frequently, not to mention that there are tons of employees fighting over the same stuff.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that the fakes are being made in the same factory as the real deal; LV's are made in France (which would be difficult to import to other countries in bulk) and there are a number of countries making grade A++ fakes. Korea is obviously one of them, and yeah there are a few obviously bad grades of fakes here that are rampant, but also a lot of incredibly good fakes as well, and they are indeed expensive. About $120-150 raw cost and $250 retail oft times, like 1/4 of the price of the real deal. Over here, they sell lots of obvious fakes on the street, they're logoed, boxed, everything, but it's the cheesiness of the street stall setup that makes them look obviously fake. Those A+ indistinguishable fakes though, the legit stores themselves can not identify them, and the fakes are kept under lock and key in private showrooms. They will lead you into the (well furnished but generic) showroom, lock the door, and then ask you what you want, and proceed to pull out a variety of stuff, all looking like the real deal.

I am trying to make this TOJ bag series, but basically, every bagmaker here specializes in making fakes, nowadays Balenciagas are more popular to fake than LVs, so they make a lot of those. The materials are Italian, hardware and notions are generic on the cheap stuff and real on the better stuff. They are very, very well made... they want to charge me $300 plus materials to make a 2nd sample, which is a straight ripoff, but yeah, they aren't fucking around either, those fake bagmakers are on a serious hustle.

13. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

On G-Chat BEAR JEW: if he makes a nice coin pouch i might get it for my mom lol gonna see someone post on sufu that a old chinese lady in front of him whipped out a coin purse with gold emblossed TOJ logo willy cheesesteak: lol, make that shit monogrammed like the lv coin purses haha toj logos all over BEAR JEW: rofl fake TOJ that'll be the day shit be funny if the shop he uses which makes fake bags BEAR JEW: accidently threw in the TOJ logo into one of them and u see TOJ logos interspersed with the LV print willy cheesesteak: hahaha

14. APK

APK Senior member

Random thought..

I've been doing this the last couple of weeks for lack of a winter coat. It's a waxed cotton jacket, which helps with the cutting wind, but the hoody underneath helps make a tandem of warmth a real winter coat would provide.

15. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

From what the designer told me, the really high quality "fakes" are not fakes in the usual sense of the word. They are not knockoffs. Instead, they are unauthorized overruns from the same factories that LV uses. So, they are "the real thing", but with a little less QA/QC, and the factories sell these off to unauthorized dealers to boost their profits. Apparently, this is a fairly common practice that LV (and other companies) have failed to crack down on.

Sure, the actual construction cost of *anything* is much less than its retail value. However, legit vendors have to pay for everything, not just the physical construction of the bags - from all of the product design and development to marketing, to training of the very workers making the bags. The unauthorized overruns are making use of all of this infrastructure without paying for any of it.

it's called the "Ghost Shift". super common in China. essentially it's the same people who make the "real" product using the materials and practices but sell obviously for a lot less money.

it's a definite problem for clothing makers as well as big time manufacturing outfits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.