1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

I don't think AE makes shoes for BB? Their made in England so they're either C&J or AS.

2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

You are incorrect about the US stuff. There are US made BB shoes that are made by AE as well as Rancourt in Maine.

Their english made shoes are made by Peal and C&J among many other brands.

3. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Good to know

Peal is just a brand name that BB owns but hasn't existed as a maker for many years. I forget how it works, but you look at the writing on the side of your shoe and there are certain clue that tell you whether it's AS or C&J.

4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I know that about peal.

C&J's tells are the nail pattern on the heel. I think Cheaney might make for Peal as well, but I'm not certain. There are definitely tiers.

5. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

Can you tell me anything about the quality of Bottega Veneta? couldn't find anything via search

Thanks man these are in my final four to try out for purchase

6. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Dunno about the particular piece you are looking at but BV generally matches Hermès in quality. Hermès shoes are not at the level of their bags and other central items (they own John Lobb Paris for that) but they're decently made although a little fragile IMHO. Everything BV/Hermès is absolutely, ridiculously overpriced but you can be assured it's not shoddily made.

2 people like this.
  7. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

Ahh, many thanks. I am looking the BV Calf Slipper. Your post goes along with what my initial guess was

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Bottega is very nice. The leather is terrific. It's actually so uniform that people who don't have much experience with leather goods mistake it for plastic, especially those pieces with a lacquered finish. The price is high compared to other companies, but if you want woven leather, it's the best in class.

1 person likes this.
  9. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

While you're at it you might as well check out Belgian shoes and look like a NYC art dealer.

3 people like this.
  10. canstyleace

canstyleace Senior member

11. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

I think failure : success is kind of relative. There are plenty of things I'll purchase with the intent of returning because I just want to try them on and handle them in person (Philly is something of a retail wasteland). Different story with b&s, final sale, and other non-returnable stuff. I'd like to think mine's gotten better - lately I'm trying to keep it to stuff I'm already really sure about in advance of having the opportunity to purchase it - but I still have more misfires than I'd like.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  12. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

It depends how failure is defined too. If I return something, 9/10 it's because of fit, and I just exchange for the right size. It's not too common that I'll buy something and then return it because I don't like it as much in person or it doesn't "fit" an aesthetic. All of that might be because I am dead ass broke too so any purchase I make has a lot of careful thought put into it.

13. gong

gong Senior member

how would I go about getting some guidis in a US 7/40? is proxying from Japan my only option?

14. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

1 person likes this.
  15. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

2 people like this.
  16. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Food for thought: I really like the look of pressed trousers, but I tend to reach for jeans a lot more often simply because of how not-fussy they are, particularly if I'm going to be sitting for long periods of time. Does it even make sense to keep buying pants and things that go with pants (i.e. shorter knits)? Have I just not yet gotten fully used to wearing pants? I've only been wearing them with any regularity for maybe 6 months, tops.

I'm interested in others' thoughts. I know a lot of people here mostly wear one or the other, and some who seem to be comfortable with both (i.e. parker).

1 person likes this.
  17. hellstorm2004

hellstorm2004 Member

Trousers... pressed an pleated for me! There was a time when i liked flat fronts. But as i grew older, i only look for pleated one's now.

But i still don't wear too much formal wear these days. Mainly coz i hate wearing shoes!

And being only 5'6", its so hard to find clothes here in USA. I had a better time shopping in Europe.

1 person likes this.
  18. BreezyBirch

BreezyBirch Senior member

I find the climate/environment of my work/day-to-day and mood dictate what I end up wearing in terms of beater stuff (jeans etc) or more "appropriately formal" stuff. If it's hot day or I know I'll be stuck in a lab coat all day then it's easy wearing stuff. If it's Friday or cooler temperature inside and out then am more likely to put on the nicer stuff (trousers, knits etc.) Less physically taxing the day the nicer my clothes get

4 people like this.
  19. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

Last night I was this close to buying a Sassafras Leaf Jacket because it was "garden inspired." I had gotten home from potting up and transplanting a bunch of tomato seedlings at my community garden (yay planting season, it was 80 on the weekend, tonight is supposed to be 30.... nay GA weather) and trolling thru Y!JPN like usual and I stumbled upon a bunch of Sassafras shit. Particularly this one lightweight jacket, I was all like "Oh fuck, that's awesome, I can wear it when I'm out at the gardens in the morning and it's damp and cold, perfect for spring mornings, and it's 60/40 so I don't have to worry about it getting messed up, oh wait what the fuck the label says Green Thumb, Green Fingers, Whole Garden Made that is so cool it's totally me, man." I proceeded to spend the next 2 hrs looking at sizing info and fit pics and finally put up a bid for it.

Woke up this morning to see three of my basil plants got blown the fuck away because of the dumb weather, came inside, thought "what the fuck am I doing with my life why am I spending so much money on a jacket to wear in the gardens? cuz it's got cool labels? nice lookbooks? large, utilitarian pockets that I can keep seeds and tools in while I tend my beds? fuck", canceled my bid, and sat there wondering where the fuck my life is currently headed for like 30 minutes.

That said, I regret canceling my bid. So the moral of the story is: when in doubt, kop. You never know when you'll need a jacket with pockets large enough to keep your gardening materials, and if it is pricy, I guess that's just the price of living

22 people like this.
  20. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

gtran needs to do a video waywt performing a cover of this

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.