1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e0d9n0b5

e0d9n0b5 Senior member

excellent find

1 person likes this.
  2. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

what the fuck was the best find?

3. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

styleforum

17 people like this.
  4. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Think he got a guidi bag for like $20 lol

5. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

His wife maybe?

6. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

The chair might have been the best find... but in terms of lulz to "riches", it had to be the Guidi leather bag I found in a "crap" bin for $3. I had no idea what it was so I just kept it in the back of my closet for a year until I started to pay attention to SZ and the Baller Boot Thread here. I put 2 and 2 together and sold the Guidi bag for $1200. :embar:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    8 people like this.
  7. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Maybe it really was just a crap bag, though. Was there a label? :eh:

(You should drop that chair in the thrift bragging thread, give someone a coronary)

8. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

SZ busted a nut when I posted it, so I knew then it was not crap.

Well, I knew beforehand because I think I know leather pretty well and it had reallllly nice, thick, leather with nice stitching, Lampo zips, etc. I just didn't know what brand it was. But after I did some research and looked just like the real thing, and had an upstanding member of the forum confirm as well.

3 people like this.
  9. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

that's insane. can't even imagine how that happens.

on another topic, hadn't bought any boots for like four years. then I just bought two pairs in the last month. when it rains it pours I guess.

1 person likes this.
  10. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Yeah... I still can't quite understand it. If it were a more "mainstream" brand I would maybe understand... maybe someone's mom was cleaning their room or something that thought "what a ratty looking bag" and decided to get rid of it.

11. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

My brother donated my Neil Barrett denim/leather jacket after I left it at my parents' house, where I thought it was safe. :facepalm:

On the plus side, there was Nataku's epic yohni haul, donated by some musician in Minnesota. I guess outside of LA, these things are pretty rare.

2 people like this.
  12. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Wow.... Link to Yohji haul?

13. thats.mana

thats.mana Senior member

I spent about the same amount of time in Shanghai and just walked around, didn't get to do much unfortunately. Hmm Beijing, form a quick google search I'm under the impression that your playing a show? It seems you'll be far away from the major metro area but Sanlitun at night is a fucking trip, Dadu Bar Street, I remember this being called something different but its a canal packed with bars. Limited time sucks but if your doing a show make some friends and have them show you around.

14. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

It’s true that Superman’s costume is not what makes him Superman. He’s also a fictional character, presented to us by a comic book. The story writers show us the parts of his life that they consider the most engaging and telling of his character.
    I think we have the same right to exercise some editorial control over how our own lives are presented to the people around us. This, to me, is not a lie - it’s a crucial part of faithful storytelling. Imagine everyone around you could read your mind at all times, so that there was no barrier at all between your thoughts and their perception. Do you think this would present the “truest” version of yourself? Every time you were tempted by some awful transgression you would seem a sociopath. Every thrill from a brief consideration of the long fall from bridge to river would make you seem suicidal. Every casual fantasy involving a random stranger makes you a pervert. But are you really any of those things? The fact that I choose to hide these impulses and present a more artful facade is as much a part of who I am as the fact they exist in the first place. How someone wants to be seen is an integral part of who they are. The performance is its own reality.
    The human craving for intimacy will remain unsatisfied with this sort of interaction. We want there to be one golden nugget at the center of every soul, and if we can each just peel off all our layers of ore and pyrite, then we can shine together. We are always disappointed.
    I recently read a book called Joe Gould’s Secret, by Joseph Mitchell, whom I consider one of the best ten writers of the 20th century. It’s the true story of a homeless bohemian who claimed to be writing the greatest work of history the world had ever seen, which he called An Oral History of Our Time, supposed to be thousands of pages long. I’m going to give away the ending of the story - Mitchell discovered in the course of knowing and writing about Gould that his great work did not exist. All he had done was write down four or five stories from his life over and over again. Mitchell ruminates after discovering Gould’s secret:
    In a Herculean act of generosity, Mitchell does not confront Gould with what he has discovered. He remembers something Gould wrote in one of his few published articles:
    Here fantasy and identity form a complete union. In some ways Joe Gould is a pathetic character. He has conceived himself entirely as a mirage. It takes a truly stylish person like Mitchell to see the entirety of Joe Gould, and find some level of intimacy with him by sharing his fantasy rather than puncturing it.
    The fear of discovery surely kept Joe Gould from sharing more of his life with friends. Not everyone can be as generous as Joseph Mitchell. But we all have these delusions, even if not on the scale of Joe Gould. If we can allow each other these delusions as a part of who we are, and together form a more perfect fantasy, we might all find more genuine respect for our fellow humans. This seems to me a better solution than asking for the end of delusion.

1 person likes this.
  15. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

1 person likes this.
  16. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Holy. Shit.

2 people like this.
  17. BreezyBirch

BreezyBirch Senior member

what is this yohni haul you speak of? I would like to show it my lingam haul

3 people like this.
  18. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Yeah, the best SWD finds I've had are an attachment blazer and an our legacy blazer.

Oh! And I found an RRL henley the other day too. That one was my size :)

1 person likes this.
  19. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Question, probably for the MC guys - that DVN suit I bought came with a length of ribbon. Is that to hem the pants? What's it for?

20. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

It's heel guard tape. Your tailor adds it inside the hem to protect it from friction

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.