1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raindrop

Raindrop Senior member

If you calculate pay/work hours put in, very likely.

But it can be very satisfying having full control and also, building something that is your own.

2. canstyleace

canstyleace Senior member

I remember the margiela mmm vs non-margiela mmm debates here a few years ago, some peeps saying mmm was going downhill since margiela stopped designing for the brand

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Nothing that says that you can't like all those brands. I can understand your POV, but me, I find mixing and matching and incongruencies more interesting.

2 people like this.
  4. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

This is a great quote, and I love that he said all this.

His reasoning is precisely why I don't own as much Schneider as I used to. I used to have a bunch of shirts, knits, and outerwear, but my lifestyle just didn't fit it; I work outside a lot, all my clothes get really dirty (and the brands I wear most these days reflect it— Visvim, Our Legacy, nonnative, Dana Lee, Undercover, EG, etc), and I need to be able to just throw them in the washer and dry them. I'm tired when I get home, and tired when I wake up, so every time I opened my closet and saw all this beautiful Schneider, I kinda took a step back and had to think about how I wanted to wear with it. Delicate fabrics, subtle patterns, "clean" cuts and lines, it just wasn't something I could do quickly in the pre-cigarette+coffee haze. And trust me, I tried to take it easy and just throw on whatever, and sometimes it worked, but it never came naturally to me like the brands I've come to wear the most, and I ended up being not-quite-as-happy as I would have liked with my outfits. I was always afraid of ruining the shirts whenever I wore them out (I know, you shouldn't worry about that stuff, but how can you not worry when the fabric is so beautiful and unique??), and wearing it just took more "effort" than I would have liked.

But man, when the people who do Schneider well (hi gdl, sip, tonio, etc), they look so put together yet nonchalant, you know? Like so ready for anything, such effortless effort. It's gorgeous, and I really envy it. Props to you dudes, and anyone interested in Schneider even in the tiniest bit should definitely pick something up, even to just try on (though you'll end up keeping it), because like ridethecliche says, online imagery is extremely limited in conveying the real beauty of it.

Even though I really, really, really, really regret selling my Merino coat, I still recognize that it ended up not really working out for me. The only piece I still own from Schneider is the black/olive rug cardigan that I layer under an EG andover, and every time I wear the thing I remember how awesome it felt whenever I got a new Schneider piece.

Great interview Synthese and NMWA crew. I really, really enjoy yalls posts.

26 people like this.
  5. 3 Prague Winters

3 Prague Winters Senior member

When you're in Miami, you should make a pit stop. There's a boutique in the design district.

6. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

You mean The Webster? Sometimes they put some of their stuff on Farfetch. I mean an actual Margiela store...I've been telling them Palm Beach needs one haha

I have completely left jeans behind especially raw denim, I don't know what I was thinking. Nom de Guerre shut down on me and W+H wouldn't fit in anywhere with my style. I just felt with my background and environment, Margiela fit me perfectly and just decided to go with them for all wears. I've always said my buying experienced has been a lot more enjoyable because of this. I don't think I could go back now

Haha yeah I was in the middle of most of those later ones

7. 3 Prague Winters

3 Prague Winters Senior member

No, I mean this

It's on NE 2nd Ave., off of the Julia Tuttle Causeway

1 person likes this.
  8. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

Huh, how did I miss that? Will be checking out

9. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

There're are two different kinds of information being discussed here: The first is tactile information; the kind you get from touching and feeling and trying on. It is, as Stephan says, supremely useful. But that means you have to find a shop in the first place, get to a shop, deal with shop staff (I am sure that Stephan's own showroom/shop staff are wonderful, but we've all been around pushy SA's), and then - if you want to "think about it" - do it all again later. I don't miss shopping in stores - or, only rarely do I miss it.

Shopping at an internet retailer is, obviously, completely different. And there's a different (the second) type of information on display. The word Stephan used is "Journalistic" - and that's accurate. You're not going to walk into a store (at least, none that I've been in) and be able to read an interview with the designer, learn about her or his background, see past-season items, learn about production methods, etc. As Stephan said, when you're in a B+M, you don't have the time and neither do they.

Finally, the question was "helpful to the industry," which is different from "Helpful to Stephan Schneider." Based on the new Schneider stockists that have appeared over the last two years, I don't think web presence is hurting him - but we didn't talk business. And if Fok wants to talk about the internet as an instrument aiding in the democratization of fashion, now's as good a time as any.

5 people like this.
  10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Both of those brands are/were really intimate with their geographic origins. I don't think that they'd work for you, as married as you are to warmth and sun. But there are other brands that might. Raw denim has a heaviness that I like, but my mindscape seems to be the mirror opposite of yours. I see a lot of lightness and clean lines, and not just a little luxury, in the way you dress, which seems to suit you. You might try brands like Marni, which are very different from what Margiela does, but which might find common elements in certain wearers.

To me, how different brands come together on different wearers is the interesting part of mixing and matching.

11. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

1 person likes this.
  12. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

How about light weight denim?

13. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

7 people like this.
  14. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

If I was a millionaire playboy, I would dress like that.

2 people like this.
  15. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

That shirt/tie/jacket combo would give the CM WAYWRN folk a heart attack.

That makes me sad :/

I would legit love to dress like that errayday. Maybe longer pants though and different/no tie.

16. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

I even resemble that guy. Plenty of pieces I would wear, but the only one I would consider buying are the navy? the slip ons. Could only find them in black though

Oh and Synthese:

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  17. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

Holy shit those tan ones are beautiful. I have worn mine a ton, and will probably buy another pair in the future.

1 person likes this.
  18. RXS09

RXS09 Senior member

Are the boots on the left blue suede or grey? Either way, both look great

19. ghostface

ghostface Senior member

i'm late getting back to this, but a couple of quick thoughts on the discussion from yesterday:
    for those whose response was along the lines of "to the extent that my interest in clothes is narcissistic, i don't mind. it feels good": it's important to have sources of self-confidence, of course, and it feels good to know that others think nice things about how you look (or respond in some other desired way to what you're wearing-- wonder, disinterest, surprise, amusement, intrigue, etc.). one question is how much value that good feeling actually has, in the end. another question is whether seeking that feeling (in ways subtle or unsubtle) necessarily leads one to neglect other valuable things, just due to the fact that we have limited time and energy. (@LonerMatt touched on this.) e.g., the more time i spend looking at old collections, the less time i have to think about a problem in set theory. and the more i'm inclined to take stock of what others around me are wearing, the less sensitive i am to other aspects of my daily experience. these are general problems, of course, but they also bring up questions about the possible conflict between self-presentation and self-cultivation, which my appeal to the (admittedly-too-strong) contrasts was meant to bring out. @unbelragazzo-- i really enjoyed your post. a couple of thoughts:
    even if we (rightly) reject the dichotomy in it's starkest form, i still think there's something important in its nearby relative. and i don't think we need to defend an implausibly strong view about the metaphysics of the self to see it. for instance, there's clearly a difference between being well-read and merely pretending to be well-read to impress someone at a party. what's the clothing equivalent? maybe something like a person who focuses on cultivating an interesting personal aesthetic at the cost of failing to focus on things that would make him actually interesting, as a person. (that would connect to the charge of superficiality.)
    i think this is one of the most interesting things about clothing and style. but i think it's also good to remain aware of the possibility that the transformative power of clothing can be leveraged to enable a person to settle for an ersatz transformation. remember those real-life people who donned superhero costumes and set out to fight petty crime? it was pretty clear that, for them, the outfit wasn't enough.
    if only it were that easy! i prefer will durant riffing on aristotle: "we are what we repeatedly do. excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." if that's right, then pretending to be x only gets one better at pretending to be x, which is, presumably, not as great as actually being x.

6 people like this.
  20. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Senior member

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.