Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bassmanpatsfan18

bassmanpatsfan18 Senior member

Well, he's been back for five years now. That much time in sunny so cal will make anyone forget what 15 degree weather feels like.

He's actually a big SC guy, as is the rest of his family, and we tailgate home games nearly every time. BC was already scheduled to play SC in a couple of years but to have them play a bowl was almost a dream come true. Still, he's got to root for the alma mater, something we'll both be doing at the game up in SF. What's funny is that his dad's a long-time donor but is so pissed off at this year's team that he's rooting for BC.

Yeah I'm honestly not a fan of either team (even though I'm from Boston), but if I were a Trojans fan, I'd probably have to root for BC given the way SC played this year and all even with so many top recruits.

Why aren't street signs up north made in a way that snow doesn't cake on them? Just seems like common sense to me

Street signs in Boston? Who woulda thunk it. [​IMG]

2. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

Street signs in Boston? Who woulda thunk it. [​IMG]

Yea, don't get me started about how half the streets don't have signs and highway exit signs seem to only pop up either after or 2 seconds before the actual exit [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

I think it's in an old fit pic of Fuumas.
    [​IMG] It's made of Swarovski crystals so it glitters.

4. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

reinvention of ingrained clothing styles is virtually impossible; making them look better or worse is entirely possible though, and we all know most experiments end up in the former category. Raf Simons (along with the huge majority of designers) made his legacy on that very principle; and no, I am not ready to start up the midmarket vs high fashion discussion again. [​IMG]

5. impolyt_one

Fuuma that sweater is so kawaii

6. bassmanpatsfan18

bassmanpatsfan18 Senior member

Yea, don't get me started about how half the streets don't have signs and highway exit signs seem to only pop up either after or 2 seconds before the actual exit [​IMG] [​IMG]

It's our (not so) subtle way of saying, "If ya ain't from around heah, get the fuck out."

7. jet

jet Persian Bro

Like that sweater fuuma, V&R has a really dope v neck out this season with geometric print all over which is quite nice.

8. zissou

zissou Senior member

Journal de Nimes is available online for those of you who might be inclined and missed out on the paper copies. The latest issue features a great history of Red Wing, a guide to Tokyo, and photos of a half-naked Japanese woman wearing denim underwater, among other things...

9. impolyt_one

^ the latter is all that is needed.

My Japanese girlfriend wears selvedge denim and I have thrown glasses of water in her face when we fight, so I guess I am halfway there....

10. zissou

zissou Senior member

I thought I'd include that last bit just to show that there is something for everyone in the publication.

11. impolyt_one

next step: to set my girlfriend on a quest to get me a decent collection of W. Gibson/Buzz Ricksons stuff in like XS/tall sizes...

12. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

my problem isnt with anyones clothes at all. its with attitudes like yours that assume that because someone doesnt agree with you they are an idiot "newbie". oh and by the way i never said i bought anything at target, but i dont consider anyone to be "on another level" because of the shirt they wear
    Uh... you're a newbie because you joined in Sept09 and therefore didn't get my joke dumbshit. The fact that you're new to the forum makes you a newbie, this is an inarguable fact. And I don't care about people who wear Target clothes, they choose to spend their money different from how I do and that's their prerogative. I scoffed at the idea that one could buy a Target shirt and tailor it for a BoO fit.
    True, the upper's on the chestnut derbys seem to have faired alright with only a few scratches, the park avenue cap toes though are quite well and truly fucked though, probably moreso my fault than AE though. They already had some peeling and a few nasty scatches, when the sole came apart I ended up using black ducktape to hold the sole together and it backfired on me and peeled some of the leather off when I peeled it. I'm not sure what can be done about them but I almost want to keep them just for the sentimental value of being my first proper dress shoe, even though they are about a half size too big.
    It peeled the leather off the upper? Wow.
    No I think the general tone is 100% spot on. This pattern of behavior is somewhat of a recent phenomenon, because only recently have people begun being disappointed with where the forum has steered them – but as has been said accurately by others, it's impossible to please everyone. There is quite a bit of commercial interest in the forum. These affiliates keep us alive and we help keep their doors open too (though SFers are tough customers, so I doubt we actually help that much [​IMG]), and so I appreciate those people who are willing to make potentially unwise decisions with their money to buy the latest SF-endorsed product, sight-unseen, but at the same time it pains me to see people start rolling the hype train over something that may turn out to be a disaster, and it's even worse to see hard earned money go into regrettable purchases. I'm trying very hard myself not to direct this at Mauro's peacoat, because this is not at all limited to that particular design. When the TOJ hype was getting to critical mass and everyone was already proclaiming TOJ jackets to be the best out there, despite having never handled one or seen one in person, I became really worried that it would eventually backfire, or a bunch of people would throw $$ at it because some forum members deceptively hyped it up. I, and a few other names I can think of stayed low-key on endorsing the actual wears, being only cautiously optimistic. That's the proper way to do things, IMO.
    At the end of the day though, it's on the buyer if s/he decides that s/he wants to drop the money for an item. I don't care who endorses what, if you're dropping $$$ on a product sight-unseen, it's a gamble. Sometimes you win and it's just as you hoped and sometimes you lose and it's shit, but don't try to blame SF-hype or group-think for the purchase, no one made you buy it
    I have no problem with your style and you posting fits like everyone else. I wouldn't look dress that myself, but I don't begrudge you for sticking to your own aesthetic - it's something a lot of members here could benefit from.
    Agreed, people like to say that they stick to their own personal style but as soon as something new comes along, they all jump ship (workwear, for instance). At least Uncontrol has the balls to experiment with and find a look that he likes and stick to his guns. That being said, I almost never venture into SF WAYWT so I could be wrong about both things....
    next step: to set my girlfriend on a quest to get me a decent collection of W. Gibson/Buzz Ricksons stuff in like XS/tall sizes...
    OR you could do a line of ToJ loopwheeled sweaters Also, it's weird that I joined in Feb08 but had <180 posts by Jan09

13. impolyt_one

OR you could do a line of ToJ loopwheeled sweaters

dude, you have no idea how many Japanese-made products I have lined up, ready for my girlfriend to get me into... [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. zissou

zissou Senior member

If you make heavy, slim-fitting loppwheeled sweats, I will buy ten in every color. No, twelve.

15. MortyGras

MortyGras Senior member

Plain white loopwheeled t's. Crewnecks, shallow v-necks and henleys. Long and shortsleeved.
    I'd be all over them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.