1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5354

5354 Senior member

It physically sickens me how Zara is reliant on copying designs from big designer labels in order to get their products to sell.

2. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Not really. There's an outdated dictum that says cuffs for pleated pants, no cuffs for flat front pants, which I don't think has been followed for a long time. Some people say cuffs shorten the leg line, so they're less ideal for shorter people, but @mafoofan is short and likes 2" cuffs.

One point in favor of cuffs is that the extra weight of the cuff helps the drape of the pants, reinforcing the clean, straight line of no break. I like to ask for a slightly slanted hem on pants with no break, though, so my socks aren't exposed as easily, but you can't achieve this with cuffs. If I go no cuffs and no break, I usually ask the tailor to add interlining at the hem, so I get the benefit of the extra weight.

I cuffed all my suit pants in the past but am starting to prefer the slightly more minimalist look of no cuffs. Big cuffs will mark you as more of a CM guy, which is probably fine since we're talking suits and you're wondering about CM rules.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    2 people like this.
  3. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

You can slant cuffs, just a more difficult job

I will be trying 1.5" cuffs tomorrow. 1" is fine but I could use more weight for the drape...

I like cuffs for all CM pants, looks nice with jackets and long coats

For thicker fabric some prefer no cuffs due to the inherent weight of the material

I've been brainwashed by CM fwiw...NMWA does a superb job of melding the two aesthetics

4. Moonchild

Moonchild Senior member

Agree. There's one Zara shop next to my workplace, and I feel the same about it. This "season" (a season for Zara = 2 months), they heavily copied Saint Laurent Paris : I saw the perfecto (in faux leather... Yuck!), the destroy jeans with the chains around the holes, the (faux) leather blazer... The cut looks good but its disgusting, even though I can't afford 'real' Saint Laurent. Faux leather for instance ages badly and keep odors. I wonder how Zara never faces legal issues over copying other brands design? I mean , if you copy a song's melody, you can be sued for that... Are things different in the designing/clothing world? (Matter of fact I actually remember Louboutin suing Zara 2 years ago for copying one of his signature high heels shoes... And he lost. Maybe the case refrained the other designer to sue Zara?)...

5. sti1zkin

sti1zkin Well-Known Member

Yes:

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  6. SmileForum

SmileForum Senior member

SCHOTTNYC NEEDS TO SUE EVERYONE FOR COPYING THEIR MOTORCYCLE JACKET!

3 people like this.
  7. Moonchild

Moonchild Senior member

Wow, very interesting. She explains it very clearly with a little touch of humour, I like her (and her leather jacket :) ). Tom Ford said he's not really bothered by knock-offs, as the panel of customers is not the same. People who usually shop at Gucci, don't go to Zara. I get that, but that's his point a view as a seller. But what about the customer? I mean,a lot of people into designer's fashion enjoy the 'exclusivity' of their items (price-wise, brand-wise, design-wise), how would the owner of the 5000 $ Saint Laurent leather jacket react when seeing the exact same 150 $ Zara design in faux leather everywhere else? Well he might think "mine is better, in real leather, etc" but doesn't it somehow make him lose his sense of exclusivity, and justifying paying that much? Personally, I'd be a little mad lol. I saw that reaction among "fashionista" everytime H&M launches a collaboration with a designer. The HMMMM case was interesting because they didn't just design new clothes for H&M, but made replicas of various MMM signature item. How did the average owner of the SS2009 original beige suit reacted to the H&M version, for instance?

8. LelandJ

LelandJ Senior member

Maybe MMM's reasoning is if it's gonna get knocked off regardless they'd rather be in on it themselves than not.

1 person likes this.
  9. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

I've heard this before but have yet to meet a tailor who says he can do it. Maybe I'm going to the wrong places.

10. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

Fast fashion ruins almost everything I enjoy about clothing.

No more women with their jeans tucked into their forever21 cowboy boots while wearing olive parkas, please god.

2 people like this.
  11. Moonchild

Moonchild Senior member

I lol'ed.!
    I feel the same. Ever since fast fashion has popularized the worst : 100% polyester outfits. I don't mind a 100% polyester item on a fit, but l really really hate girls I see everyday with the same polyester dress/skirt/top and faux leather jacket, especially during hot seasons. That shit just STINKS (on top of looking cheap). Polyester makes you sweat, it keeps odors, and stick to your skin. And that particular smell of sweat+synthetic material makes me sick.

12. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

You should find a better tailor. Mine does this as well.

13. Bussit

Bussit Senior member

Mailed a pair of Geobaskets Priority with tracking on Monday but USPS's website hasn't updated since it left my city. I filed a claim yesterday and they said they'll follow up with me next week. :confused:  

Looks like my friend received the packaged. Whew.

14. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Sounds like I should be intensely invested in this man's problems.

6 people like this.
  15. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

this is my weird rule:

Cuffs are the Times Roman of menswear (classic, traditional, staid). Plain hems are Helvetica (modern, clean, neutral). Just depends on the expression you're going for.

10 people like this.
  16. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

What's Comic Sans then?

17. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

12 people like this.
  18. penanceroyaltea

penanceroyaltea Senior member

19. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I only speak for myself, and don't have that particular suit, but I actually like the democratization of fashion. I just got another pair of Margiela GATs, and I probably wouldn't get knockoffs, for any number of reasons, (I actually like them more than the Dior version, tbh), but am not at al bothered by their existence either. If someone wants the look, but can't or won't pay a few hundred, that is fine with me.

What I do object to is the watering down of designs into a timid, toothless, version.

1 person likes this.
  20. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

I just visited Givenchy.com to price-check something at Ssense out of curiosity.

Clicking "E-STORE" in their main menu produces this notice:

[​IMG]

It is baffling to me that the only way to access their online store is via iPad or iPhone. Why create such an arbitrary obstacle to the customer? I don't own any Apple products and I don't ever intend to.

Since they keep referencing Net-a-Porter, does that mean the Mr.Porter selection the closest thing to a conventinal desktop-accessible Givenchy web-store?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.