1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

This dude is cool
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and that guy with the black fbt's is alright too

but yeah except those two that's a really lame thread hah

6 people like this.
  2. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

That shirt in the first pic I want it

1 person likes this.
  3. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

Also it's so weird to not see a rep system how am I supposed to know what to like? :(

2 people like this.
  4. dan138zig

dan138zig Senior member

That's why 80% of the thread is littered with comments like "nice fit bro", "awesome stacks bro"

5. Bussit

Bussit Senior member

I never would have thought it was going to be as difficult as it was to tie a bow tie for the first time. I was sweating and I wasn't even wearing a dress shirt.

6. dan138zig

dan138zig Senior member

Man, I'm in a similar situation. I work online from home and I only go out on the weekend. I'm currently rebuilding my wardrobe and there are so many pieces that I want but I'm on the fence about it because I know I'd only wear them no more than a few times a year. Maybe I should just be like Hirsh and gain satisfaction by just owning things and wearing them at home.

7. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Maybe it's not fashion-related, don't be racist... :)

Someone alert stitches.

1 person likes this.
  8. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Or just make up stuff about buying/ordering things...

I think part of the 'joy' of owning nice slash nicely fitted clothes is being able to wear them. Of course there are a few things where you can't do this all the time (like tuxes), but I think the majority of one's wardrobe should be stuff that could be worn pretty often.

I'm trying to break my habit of being more 'consumerist' oriented and being more 'utilitarian' oriented. Nothing wrong with having nice stuff provided you use it. For instance, I rarely wear suits. I have 4 of them. I almost feel bad about it because I could go an entire year without wearing one of them.

I'm also not even close to being wealthy, so I try to pick carefully and buy things that I can 'get my moneys worth' with by actually using them.

9. dan138zig

dan138zig Senior member

Currently I set my "consumerist purchase" budget at 10% of my income. And that's crazy enough for many people.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  10. chinesealpha

chinesealpha Senior member

Get outside! It's a good excuse for copping outerwear.

2 people like this.
  11. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

You do feel better about yourself if you wear clothes you really like:)

2 people like this.
  12. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

For people aware of the bay area demographic and geography... Balenciaga is opening a boutique in Valley Fair (right in the heart of Silicon Valley). Odd choice IMO...

Also, Louboutin is opening in SF soon, apparently they hired staff already. SLP is expanding to women's - I went in today to ask about the black/indigo court high's and encountered an empty store with 5 SA's loitering by the door making fun of people walking by. One of the women had a pretty solid fit on, the rest looked garish at best. They did not seem to think my fit indicated that I could afford SLP. I left my name down for them to let me know when they restock, but apparently they sold out within a week of both the black/red and black/indigo the first time around.

DH was mostly Eastern Europeans and fobs.

Barney's has the coated SLP black 15.5 cm's in a few sizes left. They also have the painted 15.5 cm's from last season. Red Hawaiian print shirt is fun, but not $900 fun. The 40 black 5-zip from last season is still there. The new pebbled 5-zips are fucking awful. Seriously AWFUL. Balmain bikers going up to almost $1500 for the waxed versions pre-tax. Cheapest around $1250 IIRC. Dries bombers were sold out. They still had some leftovers from last season as well.

2 people like this.
  13. LelandJ

LelandJ Senior member

Looking at some $10 fedoras on eBay, hard to tell difference with a $280 Borsalino. [​IMG]

Is quality difference apparent in person?

14. canstyleace

canstyleace Senior member

@cyc, is eg oficially out of sf barneys or was there ss14 stock

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Yes there is absolutely a difference. My wife has a lot of hats. And there's a world of difference between a cheap hat and a well-made hat. It's not unlike the difference between something, say, by Margiela, and the quality of the H&M/Margiela collaboration. You might also want to try some English makers like Lock.

3 people like this.
  16. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

From what I hear, Valley Fair has its fair share of rich people poking around and it's not uncommon to run into a celebrity there.They've opened up a couple of high end boutiques recently.

17. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Whoops I forgot to mention EG. They had the floral shirt that @penanceroyaltea has shown us. They also had some chambray or denim type stuff. Some flower print vests. I didn't see any jackets, but that doesn't mean they aren't there :embar: It was a relatively small rack - even smaller than the Geller and Balmain racks. I didn't get a chance to check Bloomingdale's, but they usually carry some stock as well.

Didn't bother going to The Archive or Mac again as there was insane traffic everywhere.

1 person likes this.
  18. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

I don't think Balenciaga is the same as Gucci or Channel as far as brand recognition. Valley Fair is also inundated with high school kids. Sillcon Valley has the money, but everybody dresses pretty shitty. I'm not just talking about start up or tech types. Even the finance people and VC folks generally dress like shit. Dudes worth 8 figures will walk around with company polos and flip flops on weekends. I'm sure we've always had a sizeable Eurotrash contingent, but I'm noticing them more lately.

I see some 49ers at Santana Row from time to time, but that place is awful at night. Many divorced older men, gold diggers and Persian kids with Ferraris.

19. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

RT: My boss wanted to split an apartment with me in Santana Row. Apartment is upward $900k+

1 person likes this.
  20. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Senior member

Even better in person, get your hands on it

every day I wonder how I can have it all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.