1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

Don't think there's a "too late"-stage, as long as he can get a nice surface for the plastic to stick to it should work (if the sole is really worn through I think he could first "resole" it with a new piece of leather, and then topy it)

2. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

doubtful lol

1 person likes this.
  3. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

Heel taps prevent wear for heels
    They wear quickly though

4. chinesealpha

chinesealpha Senior member

Apparently, there's this process called "recrafting", in which the entire sole of the shoe is replaced. Of course, nobody ever hangs onto shoes long enough to warrant this, so it's irrelevant. Topy away.

5. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

Can't imagine having baller boots/shoes resoled/heeled with whatever a cobbler had laying around their shop.

6. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

I have a pair of Lobbs I will be sending to them for re-crafting when I get around to it... :embar:

Topy is very popular on this side of the forum, and not so much over on the CM side. A Topy or similar sole protection measure will look bad with a sleek pair of Edward Greens or G&Gs, but blends in just fine with most SWD-style shoes. With CM-style shoes, folks add either a heel tap, toe tap (preferably sunken and metal) or both. If there is a metal toe tap, it will last a long time and will help with the wear on the front toe which is very common and can make a shoe look bad, along with leading to premature wear of the sole. The heel tap serves the same purposes, except on the heel of the shoe. I have a sunken metal tap in my St. Crispins and it's awesome, but I've never used a heel tap and have not had issues with premature wear (they wear, but at a normal rate). Most CM guys will choose nothing on the soles in place of slightly faster sole wear.

tl;dr - put on Topy if you wish, but know that if your shoes are well made, and the soles aren't glued, you will be able to get by with a front tap, heel tap, and a sole replacement a long way down the line.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
    5 people like this.
  7. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

vibram + heel tap is the way to go

IDK man, i normally put vibram on all my boots because it get rids of that super slippery leather sole effect. I would possibly not get it on cm shoes and just wear them as is but then again if the sole edge is black and matches the vibram its very very hard to notice.

8. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

So can I send my shoes into like, the Raf Simons factory to be resoled if the time came? Will they do that? I assume a cobbler wouldn't be able to without the last.

9. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

idk if raf has this service but actually a good cobbler can resole for you

10. stevent

stevent Senior member

Think two main reasons for topys on sw&d shoes are smaller rotations (MC guy might wear shoes 5x a month due to much larger collection) and the thinness of soles (and that they probably don't use oak bark leather neither). And it's probably not that easy a resole if sole is just glued on vs welted

11. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Yes - don't dismiss the value of a good cobbler in your area (if you have one).

I doubt that the Rick Owens factory has a re-crafting service...

12. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

You can get Ricks recrafted at Swingline

3 people like this.
  13. el Bert

el Bert Senior member

Kinda hesitant to pick up some Umit pants from yoox it says size 34 but when I go yo check it says 34(suit)/44(IT) anyone whose ordered from yoox on umit pants want to chime in?

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

did you do anything to your dunks?

15. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

Nah I figure once I wear down the shark teeth I'll think about white vibram, or maybe just a heel piece. We'll see. They're not the kind of thing I can wear every day so they should last a while.

16. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

In other news, @conceptual 4est would kill it at Pitti Uomo if he were to attend (x-post from NMWA)

1 person likes this.
  17. 3 Prague Winters

3 Prague Winters Senior member

They were probably in the process of making a blacklist for too much Yoox roulette.

18. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

19. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

I just had one of those delivered...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.