• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

smashwindow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I almost always prefer dark brown navy to black.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is getting dressed really that much of a chore?

That's some impressive laziness, especially coming from someone who posts on a fashion forum.

Also, the secret to being comfortable in your clothes is to...be comfortable in your clothes.

Deliberately choosing boring/conservative colour palettes in the name of comfort doesn't make sense to me. Sure, if you know that you just prefer black and white maybe you'll be more comfortable in it, but that seems like too much of a conclusion to leap to.

Last edited:

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
shockingly reedo's proposed wardrobe is almsot entirely composed of pieces which are en vogue on SF right now.

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bless hoodcoat has been cool for the entire history of online fashunz

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score

So I've been mulling it over a lot lately, trying to come up with a sort of go to uniform that involves only a little rotation between a few pieces but retains a basic coherence. It'd make it a lot easier to get dressed in the morning, and I think it'd finally get me feeling really comfortable in my clothes. The basic scheme is black outerwear/white or gray shirt/black pants/black boots

This is basically me, but if you're doing it because it's "easy" that's weird to me. Just buy and wear what you like.

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was chatting with simon at inventory the other day and he told me he basically wears the same **** all the time.. the jeans he was wearing were 14 year old LVC 47's..

EDIT.

Why is it okay to wear all black, but all navy is weird?

Last edited:

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

is getting dressed really that much of a chore?

I know Reedo said he wants to zero in on a uniform to make getting dressed in the morning easier, but for me a uniform isn't really about that.

It's about coping with the sheer number of aesthetics there are to choose from. It's about dealing with our dizzying postmodern condition where aesthetics aren't forced on us by social roles or tradition, leaving us as the sole judge over what we wear.

If SWD is about breaking/questioning the rules written by the old dudes who came before us, then this is the result we have to deal with. Moments where all sartorial possibilities threaten to have equal value. Where clothing that was previously separated by social or economic barriers is suddenly on the same level. And for all the creativity this gives us, it can also be confusing to the point of numbing my poor little brain.

Uniforms are like grocery lists, basically. The world is big and confusing, so sometimes it's best to create walls around ourselves, no matter how weird and arbitrary.

Last edited:

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I know Reedo said he wants to zero in on a uniform to make getting dressed in the morning easier, but for me a uniform isn't really about that.
It's about coping with the sheer number of aesthetics there are to choose from. It's about dealing with our dizzying postmodern condition where aesthetics aren't forced on us by social roles or tradition, leaving us as the sole judge over what we wear.
If SWD is about breaking/questioning the rules written by the old dudes who came before us, then this is the result we have to deal with. Moments where all sartorial possibilities threaten to have equal value. Where clothing that was previously separated by social or economic barriers is suddenly on the same level. And for all the creativity this gives us, it can also be confusing to the point of numbing my poor little brain.
Uniforms are like grocery lists, basically. The world is big and confusing, so sometimes it's best to create walls around ourselves, no matter how weird and arbitrary.

This is a good point and I agree. I don't think there's anything wrong with seeking conciseness.

I was more responding to the "comfort" part of the argument:
"It'd make it a lot easier to get dressed in the morning, and I think it'd finally get me feeling really comfortable in my clothes"

Getting dressed in the morning is pretty much knowing which parts of your wardrobe mesh together. Most of us have specific elements that make up outfits and wouldn't work with certain other pieces. When you understand how each item works - through learned intuition or trial and error - you become comfortable in your clothes.

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

This is a good point and I agree, but I was more responding to the "comfort" part of the argument:

"It'd make it a lot easier to get dressed in the morning, and I think it'd finally get me feeling really comfortable in my clothes"

Getting dressed in the morning is pretty much knowing which parts of your wardrobe mesh together. Most of us have specific elements that make up outfits and wouldn't work with certain other pieces. When you understand how each item works - through learned intuition or trial and error - you become comfortable in your clothes.

wire.artist aka yoda of yohji doesn't even look in mirror just picks the ensemble and heads out the door

i will one day achieve that level of zen

Last edited:

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was chatting with simon at inventory the other day and he told me he basically wears the same **** all the time.. the jeans he was wearing were 14 year old LVC 47's..
EDIT.
Why is it okay to wear all black, but all navy is weird?

i actually really enjoy those types of people. basically shoes that they've found what they like and stick to that. whether it be drew's 5zip/apc/mmm (actually not sure what shoes drew wears) uniform or someone who wears EG/lvc/trickers or something like that. that, to me, is cool as hell.

i'm in a very similar position to reedo and have been searching a lot (too much) over the past few days for some more outerwear pieces (this started about 8 hours after i vowed to quit styleforum/sufu :embar:) and i'm finding i'm consistently drawn to workwear brands. i know workwear is generally frowned upon on sf, and the prospect of the urban lumberjack is falling "out of fashion" or whatever, but i just enjoy it more. i honestly think it's because i kind of long for the outdoorsy type life i lived as a kid in rural new england while i'm stuck in doors reading science books.

@reedo you have your toj, why not imitate drew's uniform for a little bit? toj/jawnz/your moma boots. you have all the pieces and it looks good, is hard wearing, and is easy as ****.

Last edited:

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i actually really enjoy those types of people. basically shoes that they've found what they like and stick to that. whether it be drew's 5zip/apc/mmm (actually not sure what shoes drew wears) uniform or someone who wears EG/lvc/trickers or something like that. that, to me, is cool as hell.
i'm in a very similar position to reedo and have been searching a lot (too much) over the past few days for some more outerwear pieces (this started about 8 hours after i vowed to quit styleforum/sufu :embar:) and i'm finding i'm consistently drawn to workwear brands. i know workwear is generally frowned upon on sf, and the prospect of the urban lumberjack is falling "out of fashion" or whatever, but i just enjoy it more. i honestly think it's because i kind of long for the outdoorsy type life i lived as a kid in rural new england while i'm stuck in doors reading science books.
@reedo you have your toj, why not imitate drew's uniform for a little bit? toj/jawnz/your moma boots. you have all the pieces and it looks good, is hard wearing, and is easy as ****.

Me too, kind of in between EG and Techwear like SISP and Veilance..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads