1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smashwindow

smashwindow Senior member

The trousers are nice ^

2. Isachenko

Isachenko Senior member

The trouser fleck size is bordering on birdshit level.

3. Teger

Teger Senior member

have you ever worn clothes before? have you ever been in a rainstorm? stop posting stupid shit. you clearly don't know that much about clothing, and that's fine, but your smug dismissal of everything that's outside of your boring aesthetic is really grating, especially considering how obviously ignorant you are.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

i actually just saw them for the first time at IF and was also impressed. everything about it looked good. don't know if I'd ever actually buy one because other than shoes I don't have rain-specific clothing (umbrella does the job), but maybe that's just me.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Not gonna lie. I think that this was actually a pretty good job of subverting Ann Demeulemeester, which I like. I mean, take away the shades and the knit, and tuck in the shirt, and it's just Ann D. But they've #mensweared it up in a pretty clever way, without messing with the original intent and fit of the Ann Demeulemeester pieces. Subverting the "subversive" is always cool to me. I want to see a MA+ Aviator, worn with some bootcut jeans, but in a way that makes sense.

3 people like this.
  6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I got them on sale, and then an extra 25% off coupon. $260 and change. So, about 50% of retail (depending on the store)

7. Isachenko

Isachenko Senior member

Quote: I'm about to order some organic pink jeans dyed with real shellac, who here has the audacity to wear such a fashion forward piece in public? Not sure even I do but I'm going to try.

8. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

Don't get me wrong I'm all for subverting the dominant paradigm :p just thought it was a silly picture.

9. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

This is why I prefer the DH version.

10. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Senior member

They are delightfully addictive.

On a related note, I've been trying to come up with an "essentials-only" shoe assortment. It's harder than I thought. I used to just have one pair of dress shoes and one pair of sneakers, but now it seems like I need at least six pair of shoes:

"Casual"
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    (L) MMM GATs: go-to sneakers. If I'm only going to have one pair of sneakers, it has got to be these, in the original colors. I have a pair currently, but they're the all-grey ones. Still, probably the most comfortable sneakers I've owned, and they look fantastic once they start to get beat up.

(R) Alden chukkas. Looking to pick these up next year at some point, and use them for non-sneaker casual wear. I could see going on vacation for a week or two and just bringing these as long as where I'm going doesn't have rain or snow forecasted.

"Dress"
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    (L) Alfred Sargent Armfield. These are on the wishlist. I have a pair of black captoes but they're from Bexley and not nearly as nice. But the black captoe is the go-to dress shoe for court or any other formal occasion. In a pinch, I could probably get by just with black captoes and GATs if I absolutely had to.

(R) Loake Kensington. I have these already and they probably get the most wear out of everything I've got. They don't seem all that exciting but it seems like 85-90% of what I wear to the office calls for a brown dress shoe.

"Weather"
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    (L) Loake Adams. Have been wearing these a ton lately, these replaced my old wingtips and are better suited to fill the gap of giving me something to wear both to the office or with jeans on the weekend if the weather isn't great. Which honestly isn't that often in LA, but I still need something for those times that it is the case, or when traveling.

(R) Bean boots. Pretty much just for Tahoe, the 2 days a year in LA when it's actually pouring rain, and maybe Portland? My wife and I got matching pairs of these for each other as Christmas presents this year and while they're not going to get a ton of use obviously given we live in LA, I feel like they still will come in handy, they should last a long time, and they're not even all that expensive in the first place.

So this leaves out the following that I'm now not sure I really need:
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
    - MMM grey side-zips
    - Carmina double monks (LOVE these but not sure how to make them more "essential;" I guess I could have them dyed dark brown and replace the Loake Kensingtons with them, but part of what I love is the caramel color)
    - suede loafers (not really SF approved, but I get a ton of wear out of them)

I'd realistically like to figure out what 4-6 shoes would be the most "versatile" and then have only those, as part of my ongoing quest to be able to fit my life in a suitcase (or two) if necessary... posting here has probably not helped.

1 person likes this.
  11. smashwindow

smashwindow Senior member

seriously why is isachenko in this forum, you hate us, you hate our style, go over to mc casual.

12. Teger

Teger Senior member

Interesting post stanly. I've tried to do the same thing.

If i were you though I'd swap the alden chukkas for an alden dover - more versatile.

what I have right now (obviously more shoes), I think I have everything covered:

dress:

tricker's light brown shortwings, leather sole
    alden black bluchers, crepe sole
    alden snuff suede bluchers, leather sole
    mcnairy red/brown bluchers, crepe sole
    mcnairy dark brown shortwings, ridgeway sole
    alden snuff suede plain toe boots, crepe sole
    random italian yoox find dark brown suede chukkas, crepe sole

casual:

ll bean katahdin boots, rubber sole
    viberg icy brown chromexcel boots, rubber sole

sneakers:

nike montreals, black
    common projects achilles, white
    mmm gats, off white
    nike x j crew court sneakers, white
    new balance m373, grey

on the way:

common projects tan suede derby, crepe sole
    rancourt beefrolls, leather sole

If I had to get down to 6, I'd do this:

viberg boots
    alden black bluchers
    mark mcnairy red/brown bluchers
    common projects white achilles
    alden snuff suede boots
    tricker's ligt brown shortwing

i'd have traditional dress shoes, including one in black. a pair of sneakers, two pair of boots, one of which can be worn business casual, one that can be worn in rain/snow, and a pair of versatile sneakers.

13. bows1

bows1 Senior member

Who posted those god awful orange shoe covers? What blog recommended those? Yesterday, I saw a herd of MC dudes all wearing them over their penny loafers.

1 person likes this.
  14. e0d9n0b5

e0d9n0b5 Senior member

i actually don't, but i can say that the purpose of those questions was related to my work. i can't really say at what capacity, though =]

1 person likes this.
  15. Isachenko

Isachenko Senior member

SWD's my only style, I don't even wear suits. I would if the situation arose but I can't cross the rubicon you want me to.

16. StanleyVanBuren

Just checked those out -- definitely something to think about. The Dovers would probably work with a suit and the chukkas wouldn't... not sure if I'd need them for that, but you certainly make a good point.

17. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

I think you mean swims right?

[​IMG]

I had seen them earlier, and my girlfriend bought me a pair of their rubber drivers/boat shoes earlier this year, but they were a half size too big.

[​IMG]

18. StanleyVanBuren

1 person likes this.
  19. bows1

bows1 Senior member

Ugh yes. 5 dudes all walking together with those on their penny loafers and the same jacket. Dressed by the same blog I guess.

20. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

i think it was me :eek:

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.