1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BreezyBirch

BreezyBirch Senior member

saweet. art same size as me woohoo reference!

1 person likes this.
  2. spacepope

spacepope Senior member

hits too close to home

18 people like this.
  3. superego

superego Senior member

edit

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  4. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

I'm assuming wireless headphones for tv watching = you want to watch without disturbing the person sleeping next to you. In that case there's no need to buy anything special IMO. I bought a pair of Sony (forget the model) headphones for ~$50 from Amazon and they get the job done. One thing to look out for is check what kind of audio output your tv has, and make sure the headphones are compatible, otherwise you'll need to get another converter.

5. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Saw this vid over at the Hanger Project affiliate thread. Curious if there is anymore follow up from the NYC Styleforum trunk show (photos, more videos etc). Vid was very cool for someone who did not attend, and to just get a little more insight "live"

Greg, so friendly

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  6. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

that vid is awesome. sucks he was not doing that on sunday. kirby is a great guy.

the trunk show thread had a good amount of pictures in it from the event if you want to take a look.

7. Isachenko

Isachenko Senior member

Who's "the man himself" at 1:30 who can be found on the internet without a name? [​IMG] (serious question though)

*Wish people would borrow, rent, or buy a mini steady-cam when doing moving video.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  8. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

Guys something is wrong with the forum, all I see is this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can a mod investigate? Thanks.

17 people like this.
  9. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Seems to be working fine for me.

1 person likes this.
  10. stevent

stevent Senior member

Ugh anybody do the Obamacare stuff yet? Have to do it by Sunday since my plan is cancelled by end of Feb but have to decide to keep it till end of this year or till end of Feb. All new plans look terrible compared to my current plan :brick:

RFT: Somehow ended up getting 5 pairs of shoes in this week and have 4 more incoming next week. How does this even happen? So much wasted money

11. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Eh, one benefit of being a slave for corporate America is that you don't have to worry about this stuff. Come. Join us. It's blissssssss.

12. el Bert

el Bert Senior member

[​IMG]

I remember when I first saw this jacket back in the day I thought it was so sick but now that I see it eBay I'm thinking that's not something I would ever wear.

Also I'm hasting updates, anyone else having trouble pasting things here and getting text lag?

13. zissou

zissou Senior member

Thanks for the kind words, guys! It's all very exciting :) The shop idea would take some time, and it's an idea that has been forming over a few years. I'll keep you all posted.

It's always hard to leave academia because of the relative security, but I have watched my GF rise to the level where she doesn't even get to do her work anymore. It's all meetings, managing other people, committees, etc. It would be relatively easy to run a shop here since rent is low, and it would essentially be an in-town workshop for me, with a focus on web sales. Goods from other artisans would be sold on consignment (at least at first), limiting the amount of stock I'd have to buy. There's even a great spot next door to the shop that sells handmade goat's milk soap. I can't imagine it being a huge money maker, so it would have to depend on a suitable consultant salary from the other half :) We shall see...

5 people like this.
  14. Isachenko

Isachenko Senior member

How many pairs of shoes do you own total?

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I actually had this discussion with my wife, and the "relative" security is mostly illusory. Let's take a pretty typical scenario, at least in the sciences. For senior faculty at a mid tier school, $100K/y is pretty typical. (In the humanities, I know, this is a dream salary). Now, in the private sector, a person of similar qualifications can make easily $150-$200K/annum, with usually better benefits packages. On the upper end of this, this means that if you work in the private sector for 10 years, you are making 20 years worth of salary in academia.

If you have the poor fortune of being out of work after tha time, you still havea 10 year headstart on the person in academia. In other words, you could theoretically be out of work for the next 10 years, and still break even! Of course, it's not that simple, because nearly everyone lives up to their means, salaries change, etc..., thus changing the ratios. but it's still a sobering thought.

Just say you start in Academia at age 35 (pretty typical), and the same person starts in the private sector at the same age. To reach the same earnings that the private sector person gets to by age 55, an academic would have to work until he is 75. And he will have less money to invest, etc... In the "old days", when cushy pensions were the norm, the security would really be there, but these days, it's a 401K, just like everyone else.

16. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

There's two sides to every coin. Tenure is worth a lot. That private sector job you speak of typically means you are working at-will. Cost cutting initiative coming through, up well too bad you're out of a job.

Also in the private sector you have much less control over the type of work that you do (which is to say basically none), whereas, in academia you have the freedom (within limits of course) to research what you want to.

I'll bet your healthcare costs much less than mine. One of the ways that companies have been able to increase profits is by passing more and more of the costs of health insurance onto their employees.

1 person likes this.
  17. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Quoted for Posterity

20 people like this.
  18. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

^HAHA good quote

During undergrad I worked for the stats department all 5 years, it was good

Always sort of wanted to get back to academia administrative route ..

19. Dorje

Dorje Senior member

20. zissou

zissou Senior member

^This is true. In my current field, though, the private sector is all small non-profits that pay nowhere near what I make at the university. Its just the opposite for my GF. The irony is that I was a non-tenure-track faculty member for several years and was encouraged to become tenure track because I was doing great work. Now that I am tenure track, the work I do is not enough. In fact, for most faculty any amount of work that is done is never enough.

Tenure is indeed worth a lot if one stays at a university, but it can also command a fair amount of respect in the private sector. There is certainly freedom in academia, but then you have to find large grants to pay for your research, which is getting harder and harder to do these days. My healthcare costs are fairly low, yes. Sadly, if we both left academia, we would leave being double covered on already cheap health insurance (not to mention nice retirement plans).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.