1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

most of bmore city is pretty ghetto. as in, most of it is shit. no idea why i felt compelled to share that.

2. momentoftruth

momentoftruth Senior member

what is white knighting? Never heard of the expression in the sense that I gather it has here

I grew up in SE Asia and yes the culture has a selfishness (at least in a Western sense, basically anyone outside of the fam doesn't count) to it that it really strong, but singling out women in this scenario and calling them "insufferable gold-diggers" is laughable

3. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I don't see the issue, but thats just me, it may be sexist, I would call it informed, but there's no way its racist.

If a woman's shopping can make a man want to kill himself, its beyond bad and with news like this hitting the newsfeed, we are talking consumerism gone bad, if this is the way they solve their problem I know I would leg it and chances are so would all other guys.

http://ttocherish.blogspot.dk/2013/11/she-bought-100-pairs-of-shoes-for.html
    [​IMG]

Try googling "Chinese consumerism".

PS. You guys need to buy an atlas, I'm danish not finish. ;)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  4. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

Yeah...

Sorry, but SE Asia isn't considered rich by any means. Consumerism is a prominent trend in affluent countries, and it's especially pronounced in rapidly industrialized and rich countries. It's not an issue of selfishness. It's an issue of suddenly having access to a seemingly endless supply of money. Fast money creates the expectation that money is easy to make. So you spend and spend, because hey, money is cheap!

1 person likes this.
  5. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

See what happens when I go to sleep? Jesus. I can't keep up.

6. BreezyBirch

BreezyBirch Senior member

whatever! Scandinavia is all the same.

see what I did there?

but,

don't you guys think this blind consumerism is more a symptom of something larger, rather than just a manifestation of rampant selfishness/self- absorbtion? there's a lot more socio-economic-psychological type stuff going on in that(all) society that impels this kind of gross overconsumption. It's better than dealing with umm that Kundera book title

plus, Find Dane clearly thinks global warming/climate change is a hoax! :p

edit: goddamnit sf has problems understanding subtext! I know it's not party of scandy! !

1 person likes this.
  7. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

Yes. It is an unfortunate crossing of Neo-Confucian values of traditional agrarian collectivist societies with capitalism and individualism.

There's probably a dissertation on this topic somewhere. Too lazy to write a long response on my views on the matter. Maybe we can talk about it over a beer instead.

edit: fixing some engrish

8. Isachenko

Isachenko Senior member

Buying a bunch of nice new clothes has made me realize I need to upgrade my dresser to vintage cherry with dovetail joints, perhaps a hepplewhite or a little more modern/generic ethan allen something. The problem is shipping cross country can cost more than the dresser itself. I could buy like six kick ass knits for the same price.

And new solid cherry wood dressers cost too much.

9. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

no one here cares about you or your dressers. tell your mom instead. i'm sure she'd be happy to know her precious little valedictorian nyu student wants a new dresser.

10. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

I appreciate everyone's concern, but I've been pursuing this career path since well before the market crash and am aware of the inundation of unemployed lawyers at the moment. However, LSAT testing is down something like 30+%, and I imagine that by the time I graduate, there will be far fewer people graduating alongside me and the market will naturally swing up again to a degree. I've also been very honest with myself that if I can't get into a T14 or at least a T30 with a ride, I won't go. Michigan is tied for 9th, so I'd feel good attending their school, given that I perform well academically and professionally

tl;dr I'VE GOT THIS

9 people like this.
  11. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

Depending on where you live and how dedicated you want to be, craigslist is a potential gold mine. I've found so many excellent vintage pieces ranging from mid-century teak pieces of excellent quality to hand made cherry folding desks to literally brand new DWR pieces only used to stage a (very expensive) house for sale.

Unless it's literally the exact thing you want and you're balling, shipping furniture is crazy. Like you said: save it for clothes.

or food

12. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

I honestly wish you the best, but realistically, you're going to graduate in 3 years, and not that many lawyers are going to retire in over the next 3 years. Just because there are fewer lawyers entering the workforce doesn't mean the market's going to generate more demand for new lawyers. I hope you find a good internship in Y1. As long as you do well there, you'll get a nice cushy paycheck once you're out of school.

1 person likes this.
  13. BreezyBirch

nahneun I like your response! you are no fool

14. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

It may surprise you to learn that Finland is actually not part of Scandinavia.

15. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Nothing, I haven't heard before. ;)

The main problem/reason is that most of these people grew up being dirt poor, so as soon as they get money, its spend spend spend spend spend spend, it is a lot what happened in Russia years ago, just on a much larger scale.

Just see the nouveau riche guys who hired guys to trash their super cars because, they weren't satisfied, also china has one of largest amount of Ferrari owners under 30 in the world and thats in a country where a 458 costs north of 600k$, I saw a documentary on Chinese consumerism the other day and it was almost disgusting.

Here in Europe we have the pleasure of the new Russian middle class scaring everyone away from the classic vacation spots etc. and making British tourists seem well behaved and sober.

How many of the "white knights" guys on here have dealt with gold diggers?

On global warming, I don't think it's a hoax, I just don't get wound up over some guy in a video on the internet saying, we are all going to die by 2040.

16. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

17. wizzeak

wizzeak Senior member

Not sure if you guys are aware but they just discovered a new greenhouse gas, 7000x more powerful than co2 in regards to climate change. Didn't read the full story yet but I'm assuming this could be a game changer to how we see global warming.

Anyways I hate when you're on the fence about something, probably don't care if you don't buy it, then somebody else does and you're kicking yourself for not buying it

18. BreezyBirch

yeah Skipp, hence the "see what I did there?". being ironical

okay, finndane - I redact my insult! you, too, are no fool

19. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I'm an educated fool with money on my mind ;)

20. Isachenko

Isachenko Senior member

I have some of the best food grown in the entire country in my area, don't have much desire to order anything online although I have been eyeing a leg of jamon iberico de bellota ever since Spain legalized exportation in the mid 2000's. Prices are steep though, like a 5-zip at MSRP for one leg.

Craigslist's dry in my area, doesn't stop me from looking every other day though.

Granted he represents the bleakest projections of the leading climate scientists but it's really not different for humanity to go extinct in 2100 which pretty much is the scientific consensus, although you'll almost never hear a scientist sensationalize such. The current rates of change over the past decade, especially the collapse of Arctic sea ice volume (area too), have been destroying all the previous worst case projections made by huge margins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.