• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

wurm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ughh.... just had the worst shopping experience ever.

Ordered a Silent tee on sale from Forwardbyelysewalker a month ago or so.
Arrived about 10 days later, marked att full value with a 25% customs tax bill along with another bill to the post office.
Frustrated, I opened up the package only to see that they sent me the wrong tee :fu:

Emailed back, explaining the situation and that I would like to do an exchange. I demanded that they pay the return shipping cost (I live in Sweden so it's expensive) and suggested that they mark the exchange in a way so so tax is not applied again. They agreed to this. 

Sent it back and today, approx 3 weeks later, I picked it up at the post office - along with another 25% tax bill + the same post office tax. There were no sign on the package that this was an exchange.

All in all, I've paid 150 for a 70 USD t-shirt, and that's excluding the first shipping cost.

I'm probably never gonna order from a US webstore again.

That is brutal. At least it was a fairly inexpensive item. I once paid ~40% duties and brokerage fees on a $500 jacket. Needless to say I will never ship from the UK via DHL again

If you're worried about this you can always send the store an email asking if they will mark down value before ordering. It shouldn't matter whatever carrier they send it with, though EMS is the most likely to get through if they don't (as you're probably aware). Mostly by luck I haven't paid customs for clothes in almost 3 years.

eternaldrake

Reaction score
finally got my rafstros i bought a month ago, held up forever in customs

aaaand theyre a bit big on me, might try wearing with an insole or just put them back on b&s

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried on a denim jacket today and as I was looking in the mirror I could hear your voices telling me to burn it.

conceptionist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're worried about this you can always send the store an email asking if they will mark down value before ordering. It shouldn't matter whatever carrier they send it with, though EMS is the most likely to get through if they don't (as you're probably aware). Mostly by luck I haven't paid customs for clothes in almost 3 years.

Yeah, I did this and the first time (when I initially ordered it) they refused. The second time (exchange) they agreed to do this or just mark it as an exchange which supposedly would not get me taxed.

The exchange was indeed marked down, but all the way down to 10 USD. I got taxed 17 dollars by the customs, which is exactly the standard 25% rate of the items cost so I guess the customs didn't believed in that value and somehow looked it up.

I know the webstore tried to help me out and the customer service was the fastest and most polite I've ever dealt with, but to pay 100% in tax is just absurd.

Last edited:

wurm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I did this and the first time (when I initially ordered it) they refused. The second time (exchange) they agreed to do this or just mark it as an exchange which supposedly would not get me taxed.

The exchange was indeed marked down, but all the way down to 10 USD. I got taxed 17 dollars by the customs, which is exactly the standard 25% rate of the items cost so I guess the customs didn't believed in that value and somehow looked it up.

I know the webstore tried to help me out and the customer service was the fastest and most polite I've ever dealt with, but to pay 100% in tax is just absurd.

Yeah I forgot about the second time around. That does really suck. Kind of funny cause in my experience Forward has been one of the best stores to order from as an American. Free 2 day shipping, free return shipping and (though it used to be better) a constant code (actually they might not do this anymore). I haven't order from them in quite some time though.

Last edited:

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have payed that much every time I´ve ordered from Mr. Porter. Fortunately I´ve only ordered 3 times, but still, customs and DHL are the worst combination.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ughh.... just had the worst shopping experience ever.

Ordered a Silent tee on sale from Forwardbyelysewalker a month ago or so.
Arrived about 10 days later, marked att full value with a 25% customs tax bill along with another bill to the post office.
Frustrated, I opened up the package only to see that they sent me the wrong tee
ffffuuuu.gif

Emailed back, explaining the situation and that I would like to do an exchange. I demanded that they pay the return shipping cost (

I live in Sweden

so it's expensive) and suggested that they mark the exchange in a way so so tax is not applied again. They agreed to this.

Sent it back and today, approx 3 weeks later, I picked it up at the post office - along with another 25% tax bill + the same post office tax. There were no sign on the package that this was an exchange.

All in all, I've paid 150 for a 70 USD t-shirt, and that's excluding the first shipping cost.

I'm probably never gonna order from a US webstore again.

whaaat, how did I not know that (I mean, aren't that many swedes on here, especially not in SW&D)
fistbump.gif

slstr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have been waiting for a parcel from rakuten.jp for ******* ages now, the tracking says it has been being "retained" for about 5 days now, anyone know what this means? do I need to go and pick it up from somewhere or??

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would love to have some Japanese Champions... Heck they are made in the USA why not sell some here?

219-20121011-6ELQkYX5z4_700.jpg

219-20121016-at6GSvH4sW_700.jpg

219-20121016-LfvCdRGmd4_700.jpg

Last edited:

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Drunk online shopping matrix:

1 glass white granache = Uniqlo blazer
1 shot whiskey + 1 beer = Junya camo technical pants
2 gin martinis = Balenciaga leather moto jacket *

* this did not actually happen. for cautionary purposes only.

Last edited:

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
perhaps you should indulge then

always wanted champion japan but I keep getting different ******* measurements for **** and sweats are impossible to size but I think they run big as ****

also my cousin is visiting from uppsala

Last edited:

thatoneguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have been waiting for a parcel from rakuten.jp for ******* ages now, the tracking says it has been being "retained" for about 5 days now, anyone know what this means? do I need to go and pick it up from somewhere or??

this happened to me recently :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads