• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
actually I think I read somewhere the quality will be significantly better than usual h&m stuff, think they we're going to use the same factories mmm normally use for their mainlines

Last edited:

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Yeah, I believe that.

Re: H&M, Hendrix is right, I don't shop there at all anymore and don't wear any pieces from there. Two years is a big difference, especially at 21 years old :eek: I just find it sort of quaint how outraged some people seem to be by this, as if it was surprising. People have been making jokes about such a thing for a while, because it seemed like inevitability on the path of MMM's commercialization. There's no facade of ingenuity to disgrace anymore.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen any examples of where Margiela has been ripped off by the mall brands?

Where I live over the past couple of years there have been numerous attempts at skinny and/or tapered jeans. the whole T by Wang look where you have the slutty loose tee and loose top block jeans that taper severely has been copied ad nauseum that it's now the prevailing look. There are also now a billion different chinos in all different colours (a couple of years ago noone knew what chinos were).

I haven't really seen anything attributable to Margiela in what the general public wears though.

Am I missing something?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
you guys realize that CDG did a collab line with H&M in 2008? the level of cognitive dissonance wherein CDG (which collaborates with everyone, at every time and every where they can) is somehow still a legitimate, niche designer brand but MMM is dead is hilarious. and if we're gonna talk about commercialization, that shipped sailed when MMM starting selling candles and fragrances.

the biggest issue is that some people are sad that their expensive designer clothes seem less exclusive. it's ok, I promise: the 300 peacoats with a neoprene panel that are bought in 10 minutes to be flipped on ebay won't mean anything in 6 months...

edit: these brands are out to make money. jil sander sells a leather lunch bag, and rick owens sells a leather box for $3k. but MMM doing a collaboration with H&M (which at least makes their product/vision available.. how many people here are buying MMM at retail?) is bad? what about +J? was jil sander selling out?

Last edited:

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
news to me

I think this is just sort of the group consensus here, passed down from the SF elders who witnessed MMM when it was still helmed by Margiela hisself.

How many MMM pieces have you handled, mikey?

Did not see this post before but +1

AR6 has some nice points also. I always got the feeling the dislike for Margiela came from a select few and then regurgitated by others. I'd like to know of a house that hasn't made some awful **** be it by the original designer or replacements, old or new. It's easier to find the bad than the good thats for sure

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

it's ok, I promise: the 300 peacoats with a neoprene panel that are bought in 10 minutes to be flipped on ebay won't mean anything in 6 months...

If they haven't fallen apart by then.

And re: CdG, Rei has always said that CdG is, first and foremost, a business. I don't think there are the same pretensions of authenticity or whatever you want to call it.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
what backlash is there against MMM? people love MMM here, now more than ever. people still are buying the GATs even tho the price has jumped like 40% in 3 years. and as much as the retirement of margiela might have impacted the line's vision, it didn't change what 99% on SF buy from margiela, which is boring basics. how much 'design' is there in a wool v-neck with elbow patches?

dfagdfsh

Reaction score

And re: CdG, Rei has always said that CdG is, first and foremost, a business. I don't think there are the same pretensions of authenticity or whatever you want to call it.

it's MMM. they have stores. you can buy it at barney's co-op. it's not walter von beirendonck or aitor throup (who worked for stone island, lawl). it just reads like people whining because they're afraid that their beloved label is gonna be less exclusive.

and wtf at 'have you ever handled MMM'? regis, didn't you just starting buying the line a year and a half ago?

Last edited:

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it at all possible for a very competent tailor to space out shoulders on a jacket (not suit jacket) like an inch?

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score

it's MMM. they have stores. you can buy it at barney's co-op. it's not walter von beirendonck or aitor throup (who worked for stone island, lawl). it just reads like people whining because they're afraid that their beloved label is gonna be less exclusive.

and wtf at 'have you ever handled MMM'? regis, didn't you just starting buying the line a year and a half ago?

Been into it since 06 before I knew what SF was. To me the word basic doesn't mean what it means to this very small corner on the internet

dfagdfsh

Reaction score

Been into it since 06 before I knew what SF was. To me the word basic doesn't mean what it means to this very small corner on the internet

most of the clothes you buy and wear from MMM are basic. basic here means 'there's nothing other than the tag to identify them as being made by MMM.'

i have handled MMM. i have owned MMM. i like the line, and i don't really care if they collaborate with H&M.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

actually I think I read somewhere the quality will be significantly better than usual h&m stuff, think they we're going to use the same factories mmm normally use for their mainlines

Apart from their knits, I don't think there's anything they make that couldn't be mall brand priced, with the right quantities.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
I don't either, I could care less really and that is my favorite "brand"

Well here is the thing, its not important to me wether you cant tell if my V-neck sweater is BR or Margiela. Im my opinion more of often than not they take a "basic" piece and make it better (fit, materials, etc). I don't pretend to know anything of substance about fashion, I just buy what I like

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads