1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I think I speak for Jet as well, no that would not have any interest. :devil:

2. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

stuff i've seen (mostly at project no 8 in nyc) has been really good, especially for the price. it is pretty basic, but if that's what you're looking for then it's not an issue. a little about the brand: http://www.projectno8.com/t/creators/aspesi/

fisherman sweater idea sounds great, Fok.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. bows1

bows1 Senior member

3 Credit Cards for 5 years with no missed payments and now I almost have it all paid off. :slayer: my credit rating is sparkling

1 person likes this.
  4. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est The Classic Gentleman is Back

I feel very fortunate that I've never been in a position where I was forced to spend more in a month on a credit card than I could make (or earn by selling). I can't imagine ever carrying a balance it sounds awful, although I understand the advantages of it if there is a 0% apr.

5. Jabonator

Jabonator Senior member

I don't really get how getting a credit card makes you spend more. I spend what I spend, it's not based on what I have available. Maybe that's not normal. And I guess it's possible that when you get used to always losing your paycheck to bills, etc, you feel surprised when that doesn't happen, and you spend the extra anyway.

6. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

can you guys stop talking about credit card debt

it's depressing me

2 people like this.
  7. bows1

bows1 Senior member

CC Debt: I lived off a credit card when I moved to NYC cause I was unemployed with no savings. Ran up a lot of debt, but being able to support myself while looking for a job ended up with my landing the job that I always wanted. Obviously not the same for everyone but the debt I ran up was totally worth it for me... even though Im still paying it off.

2 people like this.
  8. zapatiste

zapatiste Senior member

persevering in trans-dimensional subconsciousness
    why not just buy groceries / whatever on CC and pay it from your phone while walking back. don't even need to use it for bigger purchases if not necessary. prob cash back would be smartest but i like the idea of trillions of freq flyer miles.

yeah that's understandable , i assumed as much. it probably came off sounding worse than i intended it to but oh well.
    actually, ending with questions on philosophy and world politics could be rather hilarious , especially if you take on designers with a penchant for preaching
    *ehem*

then again it would purely be for my own entertainment so ....

9. Teger

Teger Senior member

if you question your discipline, seriously, get a charge card (like an amex). you have no choice, but you build your credit and get cash back/reward points/amex return policy ($$$$).

10. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est The Classic Gentleman is Back

Here's a RFT. I had to kill some time in Bloomingdales a few weeks back so I checked out the men's section. They have this area dedicated to Sandro with like, Sandro brand ambassador employees that only focus on that brand. I was poking around and the guy stops me to talk about a knit or whatever, then he asks me where I'm from.

I have no accent or anything so I'm just like "uh... here?" and he acts all surprised and says he "doesn't know anybody from New York that wears shoes like that." I was wearing my Balenciaga sneakers so I tell him they're just old Balenciagas, and I'm standing there shaking my head thinking, "you know, the brand who makes the shoes your brand is explicitly ripping off with the pairs lined up right next to you that you're supposed to be intimately familiar with."

I wouldn't expect any more, so I'm not holding it against him, but it just really further divided in my head how removed Bloomingdales is from any other department store that carries designer clothing. It's still catering to a very specific crowd that still wants to buy John Varvatos or Theory I guess, if he has somehow never encountered anyone from New York that would wear shoes on a "CP" sole.

7 people like this.
  11. steveoffice

steveoffice Senior member

tell me more

12. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Of course you can, most of what we teach is subjective, thankfully good taste is historically determined but not subjective so we don't even have to ask ourselves that question.

1 person likes this.
  13. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Some of those old knitters are better than others. I had high hopes for the Steven Alan West End Knitwear sweaters from last year but in person wasn't really impressed.

14. 1969

1969 Senior member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Ya, and you might notice that, while liking or disliking a specific item (margiela 5 zip) is quite subjective, having a coherent yet diverse assemblage of cultural interests supported by a strong narrative is basically the very easy to spot indicator of having high cultural capital.

1 person likes this.
  16. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

She does have something to say, what is naive is thinking that she'll masticate it for you by using statements instead of having you tease it out of the collections she designs. I mean I don't need to know what Brancusi has to say about his work, I just have to see the work.

9 people like this.
  17. el Bert

el Bert Senior member

That feeling when you find something surprisingly great from a company you didn't expect from and when it's already a good deal you make it better.:slayer:

18. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

That's a seductive analogy (esp in that it is flattering to people who see themselves as "getting it") but artists (and designers--possibly similar but not the same) talk about their work all the time and it's not unreasonable to draw some conclusions about them and their work from their ability or inability to do so, just as it's not ridiculous to still see value in the work of people who do interesting things but are inarticulate in discussing them

3 people like this.
  19. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

She probably has something to say with her designs. She could be highly intuitive, but verbally inarticulate and lacking in analytical abilities, and that her statement does her work a disservice. I didn't ask her to masticate whatever it is she is trying to convey through her work. She decided to do it of her own accord. I had no say in the matter. Maybe she should just let her clothes speak for themselves rather than sticking us with a statement that reads like it came from the liner notes of a shitty band.

1 person likes this.
  20. 1969

1969 Senior member

I just had a flashback to 1991 and living in a house with 4 comp lit Phd candidates.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.