• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

Is he wearing a Paul Harnden jacket?

mainstream here we go !

jake-davis-test-shots-nick-wooster-0.jpg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[RANT]

I'm sick of:

1) No break everything. You skinny assholes look like Peewee Herman. And you fat F***ers look like Tweedle Dee or Tweedle Dumb.
2) Fashion bloggers with huge phallic DSLRs. You are not shooting rare birds. You don't need that ****.
3) Sideparts - **** you. You are not Don Draper, and you are not some ****** from a Golden Age movie.
4) Slim chinos - Listen, you dumbfucks. Chinos were the uniform of BestBuy employees, and where are they now? That's right. So stop that ****. Wear jeans or wool pants. Linen in the summer, if you are a Eurotrash asshole or if you play a lot of golf with fat storage unit billionaires.
5) Bloggers photographing one another. We don't need to see public fellation. If I want to see that ****, I will go to a sex show and pay. Thanks.
6) Ironic anything - yeah, that goes for all you hipster people from Brooklyn. At least in Portland, the gods get angry and rain on your ass. Brooklyn seems to be some sort of safe haven.

[/RANT]

Last edited:

LTTP

Reaction score
srs, that blog is full of short chinos. kill me now.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

qyxfB.png

Fact: none of you assholes are well dressed.

I actually have all that stuff, and most of the stuff in the "advanced list" as well. I have two full evening wear rigs. Of course, I never wear any buttoned shirts, ties, or any pants not made of denim, or any shoes without a sneaker or crepe or Vibram sole. Once in a blue moon, I'll throw on a sports jacket once in a while in the evening if I'm stepping outside to drink my coffee.

johanm

Reaction score

qyxfB.png

I have all of that stuff except
- a second blue odd jacket
- solid black knit/grenadine tie (want to cop this)
- a DB suit
- linen suit

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Every time someone writes a post like that, I like to imagine that they did it while at home in sweatpants and a t-shirt, and eating Doritos or graham crackers.

Last edited:

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score

[RANT]
I'm sick of:
1) No break everything. You skinny assholes look like Peewee Herman. And you fat F***ers look like Tweedle Dee or Tweedle Dumb.
2) Fashion bloggers with huge phallic DSLRs. You are not shooting rare birds. You don't need that ****.
3) Sideparts - **** you. You are not Don Draper, and you are not some ****** from a Golden Age movie.
4) Slim chinos - Listen, you dumbfucks. Chinos were the uniform of BestBuy employees, and where are they now? That's right. So stop that ****. Wear jeans or wool pants. Linen in the summer, if you are a Eurotrash asshole or if you play a lot of golf with fat storage unit billionaires.
5) Bloggers photographing one another. We don't need to see public fellation. If I want to see that ****, I will go to a sex show and pay. Thanks.
6) Ironic anything - yeah, that goes for all you hipster people from Brooklyn. At least in Portland, the gods get angry and rain on your ass. Brooklyn seems to be some sort of safe haven.
[/RANT]

i saw all of this yesterday in a single moment with two people

artishard116

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i saw all of this yesterday in a single moment with two people

the other day i was on the street and all within my field of vision I saw 4 dudes wearing the exact same hue of salmon colored chinos (with full ankle cleavage of course). several were bursting cardigan buttons. wish I had a picture.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[RANT]
I'm sick of:
[/RANT]

:(

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, Manton shows both his strengths and weaknesses in that post. He is pretty dead on about the tailored stuff, but I'm not even sure what he means by non-chino khakis? Does he mean non-khaki colored chinos? Does he mean khaki colored pants that are not chinos? In which case, he could have just written "khaki colored trousers", but it's pretty unclear.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

qyxfB.png

I own most of these things and so does Parker. My guess would be that if you are into fashion for a while you'll end up wit a lot of these things (see LAGuy). However it is important to know Manton was adressing an MC audience and telling them how to do decent MC.

Here's something I had posted at the time putting what was happening into context. Note that Manton is big on Aristotle so I thought it was fitting.

"You and several others, maybe including some of the “forum elders”, are fundamentally misunderstanding what is going on here and in other similar threads started by the aforementioned elders. While you may see these threads as imparting some sort of absolute, objective and universal set of rules and practices without providing any justification for why it is so (let’s call this the Platonic approach, nothing to do with not getting laid) what you have is in reality similar to Aristotelian ethics. Instead of scrapping what is currently believed to be true and what is put in practice and trying to end up with a new set of absolutely proven rules demonstrated through a long and tedious argumentative chain we start with the end result and work backward, resolving contradictions as we go along. This is called methodological conservatism and is very appropriate for MC. The way it goes is that you acknowledge that you live in a certain society, in a certain time and at a certain place but that what you are trying to do is to give people the tools to deal with that specific context anyway, you make no pretense of going for the absolute and universal (like Plato did) and you don’t attack the whole social edifice anyway but systematize what is the good in this specific context. You go with what the wise (those that are respected and have well thought out opinions) and the many (consensual statements that the populace can easily go for like “we dress to look good”) believe in and work from there to develop a coherent set of principles that others may adopt to have a praxis of dressing well. Now Aristotle was quite adamant that your values were the result of your education and that you weren’t fundamentally virtuous or lacking in virtue, he however basically thought that it was pretty useless to try to change the non-virtuous as they were fucked up for life or something equally silly. It is also why he doesn’t care about justifying certain statements he makes, if you’re an ok dude you’re supposed to agree with him and go along.

Applying this to what is happening in MC should be quite easy but let me spell it out for you: people that are generally recognized as dressing well and making well thought-out points about dressing are dropping knowledge to help the mass of awful to decent MC dressers dress better in an MC context (so no claim to universality, timelessness or any other drivel should be believed to be anything but rhetorical), this also serves them to resolve their diverging opinions and coalesce MC-knowledge into a coherent set of practices that is relatively easily applicable. They will probably fail to help most of you because your aesthetic education was a failure and these things are hard to rectify. Stuff is still interesting. There are several important problems with Aristotelian ethics and the subject/object Cartesian distinction of someone from outside looking in rationally and methodically at the world and making dispassionate observation about objects to learn their properties (Heidegger basically destroyed the whole thing in Being and Time), they also apply here, this isn’t really too important right now as most MCers need such help to grow into looking like something beside Christmas trees of fabric. "

Last edited:

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's also indicative that everyone who's said they own most of those things are (I think) over 30. I just sold my only suit because even on occasions where I could wear one, no one else was because people in their mid-20's just don't own suits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics