1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveoffice

steveoffice Well-Known Member

where did you find this???

so good.

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

It's interesting that he would associate cleanliness and blackness. I suppose he means the cleanness of the silhouette or perhaps just clean in the sense of simple and uncluttered?

The traditional color of cleanliness is, of course, white, because it shows dirt so easily. Black is often associated with dirtiness because dirt doesn't show on black as easily.

3. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Colour associations are not universal, for example white is the traditional colour of mourning in Japan. Japanese courtiers would dye their teeth black etcetc.

3 people like this.
  4. unbelragazzo

Interesting. Clearly color associations vary (my favorite example is that pre-WWII pink was associated with baby boys, not girls) but it surprises me somewhat that black would be associated with cleanliness.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

White is also the traditional mourning color in China. It actually has that association in the west as well, though that is largely forgotten, except in the use of Lilies at funerals and wakes.

There do seem to be metallics which have universal cultural significance though, for obvious reasons.

6. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Yeah couple of SE asian countries share that trait AFAIK. This would lead me to believe it originated in China, the country having had such an important cultural influence on its neighbors. I've never looked into it TBH.

7. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Well-Known Member

+1

[​IMG]

10 people like this.
  8. unbelragazzo

Cool chart. Actually the correlation across cultures looks higher than I would have thought. The closest to "cleanliness" would seem to be "purity", which is almost all white.

9. unbelragazzo

Also there are some of the Western color associations that I don't recognize, and some that I can think of they don't list (like associating royalty with purple).

10. skitlets

skitlets Well-Known Member

Who bought the long green barena knit in size small? Please post pics when it arrives.

11. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Well-Known Member

All you people who bought those Barena cardigans should meet up and do the following-- set up a fire pit in the middle of some semi public place and mutter incantations (Yoox Barena! Yoox Barena! ) while opening and closing your knits like batwings. Then dance around the fire for a while before quickly dispersing.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
    16 people like this.
  12. chinesealpha

chinesealpha Well-Known Member

Looks cool, I guess, but it's really awkward to glean much useful info from it. So a very uncool chart from that standpoint. Edward Tufte would burst a blood vessel.

1 person likes this.
  13. chinesealpha

chinesealpha Well-Known Member

It's not all that hard to take decent photos, to have basic info like prices and measurements. I took a quick look through the Golden Bear and Vanson websites, and they're pretty f'n bad. Aero, OTH, does a great job of making their jackets look good and seem amazing.

Thurston Bros website seems enthusiastic but not at all geared to either the fashunz or otaku market. Doesn't really seem like they want to sell anything online. Compared to, say, History Preservation, there is little to no info on the jacket you're contemplating spending $1k+ on. If a shop owner is going to have a website, he/she ought to figure that people want to know what they're buying into.

14. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

I think what you are describing as more to do with user interface, which involves a good eye and some common sense. What I meant, and to my understand what Fok pointed out is the lack of PR / marketing campaign in communicating to the public of the store and its goods. Hence, I was talking about the need for someone whether internally or a 3rd party that is the creative and design team, PR to get your message, and method of approach (medium) in how to 'show' shoppers.

The best example is the webstore Cruivoir (see "Sales Thread") in which they are marketing like crazy but the user interface really lacks. In this case its really a lose-lose situation because no thought went into creating and designing a web that is user friendly. Everything sort of backfired. They tried to be overly creative, but it actually became more of a problem. They actually also went through several phases of a re-design, but it seems they are pretty stubborn in sticking to the same layout. To the point, there is a method to market the goods on a platform, but just as important is getting your voice out there and be recognized.

15. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

Celine bags cost a lot more than I thought they did.

16. yipjam

yipjam Well-Known Member

That was me :D Will do!

17. skitlets

skitlets Well-Known Member

The face bag? I wonder why it's so popular.

18. NaTionS

NaTionS Well-Known Member

If I were a girl I'd totally carry one.

19. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

Name, branding, because they can.

20. crosswound

crosswound Well-Known Member

this and bcd is definitely one of my favorite posters for this year

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.