1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

Black is cool. I want to be cool. Ergo

6 people like this.
  2. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

And this.... (starts at 0:27)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  3. steveoffice

steveoffice Senior member

blue is double monks of footwear color :foo:

1 person likes this.
  4. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

I assume you mean worn out - I think this is especially true for cotton. One of the many reasons the ubiquitous black dockers and black Express dress shirts look terrible IMHO.

Black wool or silk can hold up alright.

5. diniro

diniro Senior member

“Black is not sad. Bright colors are what depresses me. They’re so empty. Black is poetic. How do you imagine a poet? In a bright yellow jacket? Probably not.” - Ann Demeulemeester

4 people like this.
  6. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

No eyelets means no speed lacing, right? Or just no metal eyelets themselves. I'd do eyelets but no speed hooks + goyser cause it's a nice touch characteristic of shoes from that region.

7. unbelragazzo

^^this was kind of what I was getting at supposing that black is "dramatic". Does everybody who wear black talk like this?

8. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

Yes. I hate people who wear black. I never invite them to my parties. That's why I wear orange. I hear that's the new black.

11 people like this.
  9. unbelragazzo

I've only seen one episode. But the 70s show girl getting naked makes me happy.

10. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

What are you expecting, exactly? There are people who will say "black is cool," and there are people who will wax philosophical on my they appreciate its virtues, such as the designers quoted above. I'm not sure I understand your approach. There are a lot of different blacks, and a lot of different fabrics. Some fade on purpose. Some don't. Some are grungy, others long and flowy, still others sharp and formal.

With regards to "people talking like this," you're coming from a forum where people refer to each other as gentlemen and talk about classic and timeless clothing as if that meant something. Do all people who "wear black" - whatever that means - talk like "this?" - whatever that means? Unlikely. Do all people who wear suits talk like Cary Grant?

18 people like this.
  11. unbelragazzo

Well what I meant was, in CM black definitely means something, which is understood by most people who care about it. Here it seems like black is worn more often. So I'm interested to know if it still has a meaning or if, by being worn more often, it loses a specific meaning. And if it has a meaning, what is it?

12. Black is the color chosen by us to make people from CM overthink everything we do.

17 people like this.
  13. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Black does not have a universal SW&D connotation (hell some designers don't even have a singular vision of black). It's more complicated than black tie/funerals only.

4 people like this.
  14. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

It's not a bad question, but I think your focus might be a bit narrow. By which I mean that people have their reasons - a kid shopping at hot topic and wearing Manson shirts is not necesserily finding the same meaning in the color as someone who's wearing, say, alexandre plokhov (random example; I own some Plokhov pieces). I think that the most successful "What is SF Wearing" articles are the ones in which people start to open up about why they wear what they wear. For example, I find the black pieces that I do own soft, comfortable, and almost cradling. Part of that's color, part of that's material. I don't see myself as a brash rebel or anything like that. It's not as restrictive as CM. Black doesn't necessarily equal formality, and it doesn't necessarily equal punks or goths either. As another example, I have a poofy, cuddly shawl-collared blazer/cardigan thing from engineered garments that is black/white/grey, and it sort of just looks like cabin wear.

edit: i guess cyc summed it up pretty succinctly

3 people like this.
  15. steveoffice

steveoffice Senior member

Unbelragazzo, I think you are asking a wrong group of people. May I suggest that you post your question in the SZ random fashion thoughts thread ?

You might get more coherent and affable response there :nodding:

7 people like this.
  16. unbelragazzo

The responses from cyc and Synth were coherent and friendly already :) or at least, helpful. Thanks, guys.

17. thewho13

thewho13 Senior member

"The wicked poster, who asks What does this color black mean to you? is characterized by forum prescripts as isolating himself from the sub-forum/-fora, standing by and judging the behavior of others as if he himself did not belong [to the collective]. Therefore he is rebuked by the explanation that It is because Black cloaks me and many more that I refuse to pin it down with a monolithic definition."

Someone pass me the horseradish and that dry crackerbread stuff.

2 people like this.
  18. unbelragazzo

19. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

How is that going for you? ;)

Yeah, I don't know where the r went.

I have a dog and black just screams dog hair come here, we are having a party.

20. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Would post. Smiths Unloveable video if I knew how from phone. Also wearing black cowboy shirt today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.