1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmash

dmash Senior member

If you're referring to 'sweat' shorts, I got some pairs from Vince for pretty cheap that have been great. Don't expect anything special but if you can get under $50 they're some of the best I've found. I'm always on the lookout for basic, no logo, sweatshorts as I like them for going to class as opposed to regular gym poly gym shorts. Silent by Damir makes some good ones as well, but I'd only buy on deep discount as well.

Here's one of the Vince pairs I have:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  2. BreezyBirch

BreezyBirch Senior member

where 2kop bernhard wilhelm on the cheap?

3. zapatiste

zapatiste Senior member

persevering in trans-dimensional subconsciousness
    ^ sent u some

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  4. anyone have suggestions for good movies that had an influence on streetwear?

5. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

influence on? or are just stylish?

6. Learning more towards the influence on, but being stylish is a plus.

7. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

The Wild One?

8. momentoftruth

momentoftruth Senior member

for sweat shorts Uniqlo has some colorblock ones that are super comfy. Couldn't find them on the website but I got mine from the SF store a couple of months back for $15

9. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

Trainspotting maybe?
    I think I may have read somewhere that It had an impact, but it's possible I've mixed it up with some other movie

10. fistinyoface

fistinyoface Senior member

Do you think any movies had a particularly strong influence, rather than being influenced by, or being a caricature of the style at the time?

I suppose Back to the Future 2 had those nikes released eventually. Still no hoverboard though...

11. 1969

1969 Senior member

people have always mocked what they see in music and movies. I suppose there is a two way dialogue to some degree, but in general what's "real" is coming up from the street...music, skaters....and of course the thousand points of German Army Trainer light around the world created right here on our own little corner.

12. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Unless I'm understanding wrong, I don't think it's fair to say people always mock what they see in music and movies. EDIT: Duh, you meant 'mock' as in mimic. Hah.

As for movies, La Haine has had a big influence on some current designers. It was part of the inspiration for one of Siki Im's collections. Not streetwear, but Gattaca seems to be a reference point that comes up a bunch. Miharayasuhiro seems to reference Japanese gangster movies sometimes, though I don't know enough to point to any specific one. I'm sure someone who knows more could come up with a bunch of examples.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  13. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

I would guess that influence/d is hard to separate. You could watch Diva (1981), one of the most stylish films of all time, along with La Haine, or the Fifth Element (JpG did the costumes). Most everything that's cinema du look. Or, like P4 said, a whole lot of Japanese gangster movies that I know nothing about.

14. sipang

sipang Senior member

What do you mean by streetwear though ? Is designer streetwear ?

15. Earnest Hemingway

Earnest Hemingway Senior member

Never knew La Haine was so influential. Guess I gotta watch it again...

16. zapatiste

zapatiste Senior member

persevering in trans-dimensional subconsciousness
    what about mainstream fashion industry -> costume designers for films ?

Outrage Beyond

2009 Angelo, tyran de Padoue (TV movie)

2005 Takeshis'

2003 The Blind Swordsman: Zatoichi <-- good one

2002 Dolls

2002 Jane Birkin: Arabesque (video documentary)

2002 Teknolust

2000/I Brother <-- too violent for my tastes but cool suits ;-)

1995 Tristan und Isolde (TV movie)

1988 Jean-Michel Jarre Destination Docklands (TV movie)

much as i liked it, it really was a very exaggerated take on the banlieu there, to the point that many people didn't appreciate how they'd been portrayed.

17. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

I have no idea what streetwear means at this point. Seems to mean something specific in Japan and here in the U.S. it's just kind of a generic catch-all. Might be my misunderstanding though. I dunno. I hear people here using the distinctions "designer" and "contemporary" much more.

I got another one: Tim Burton's Batman.

[​IMG]

Kidding. Though there is this look in Undercoverism FW12.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. about11oclock

about11oclock Senior member

Anyone have any experience with Visvim packs, both backpacks and messengers? I'm attracted to their aesthetics and would love some info on their function and durability.

19. kashmir

kashmir Senior member

there are many layers within cinema i think. maybe the outfit worn can give an impact, but even more so the atmosphere, the attitude.. if you just wanna see nice clothes on film, i can say those mc people are dying to be mistaken as bond.. other movies in that vein would be marcelo mastroianni films, and i like the mood of le samourai and tinker tailor soldier spy. i saw one asian, probably hk, film that is impossibly stylish. like a movie full of labelking. didnt know the name though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.