• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
NMPzL.jpg

:eh:

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
SVB IN THE UK?
guys -- my gf and I are going to be in the UK early September and I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in meeting up somewhere in London the weekend of the 8th. there's a chance that if there is enough interest, we could turn it into an official event, invite some vendors, and have SF pick up the tab. this is just an interest check as I really have no idea how many people here are in/around London and if this is something people would be down to attend.

I suspect there may be more on the MC side of the forum, and I'd open it up to them too, but I don't really know anyone over there so I'm asking here first.

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ bah, will be there in October. Whatever happened to the SF ambassador program? If so, most likely an MC'er. If their is, the London ambassador can help can help organize an event.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

SVB IN THE UK?
[rule]guys -- my gf and I are going to be in the UK early September and I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in meeting up somewhere in London the weekend of the 8th. there's a chance that if there is enough interest, we could turn it into an official event, invite some vendors, and have SF pick up the tab. this is just an interest check as I really have no idea how many people here are in/around London and if this is something people would be down to attend.

I suspect there may be more on the MC side of the forum, and I'd open it up to them too, but I don't really know anyone over there so I'm asking here first.

Ah, if it were October....

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

?
the whole point of my post was looking outside of sf/the internet to influence your buying habits and aspirations...

Yeah but putting together a look influenced by your 'lifestyle' or 'identity' - making that conscious decision - is bullshit. I'm specifically thinking of bike messengers who go all in and roll out in the corduroy cutoffs and bike shoes everywhere. It sucks - really, picking an identity and making any decisions based on that selection is bullshit. Quoting Zadie Smith:

“Stop worrying about your identity and concern yourself with the people you care about, ideas that matter to you, beliefs you can stand by, tickets you can run on. Intelligent humans make those choices with their brain and hearts and they make them alone. The world does not deliver meaning to you. You have to make it meaningful...and decide what you want and need and must do. It’s a tough, unimaginably lonely and complicated way to be in the world. But that’s the deal: you have to live; you can’t live by slogans, dead ideas, clichés, or national flags. Finding an identity is easy. It’s the easy way out.”

What I'm saying is that if you want to have a 'direction' in the way you dress yourself, disregard everything else and focus specifically on what you want to look like on a design level - colors/proportions/textures type ****.

Or you can buy a knit tie with tiny bicycles on it, it's not like it matters at all really.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

“Stop worrying about your identity and concern yourself with the people you care about, ideas that matter to you, beliefs you can stand by, tickets you can run on. your identity.

:lookaround:

Last edited:

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
I think this place complicates the simplest of things. Honestly I am here for the entertainment 90% of the time

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah but putting together a look influenced by your 'lifestyle' or 'identity' - making that conscious decision - is bullshit. I'm specifically thinking of bike messengers who go all in and roll out in the corduroy cutoffs and bike shoes everywhere. It sucks - really, picking an identity and making any decisions based on that selection is bullshit. Quoting Zadie Smith:
“Stop worrying about your identity and concern yourself with the people you care about, ideas that matter to you, beliefs you can stand by, tickets you can run on. Intelligent humans make those choices with their brain and hearts and they make them alone. The world does not deliver meaning to you. You have to make it meaningful...and decide what you want and need and must do. It’s a tough, unimaginably lonely and complicated way to be in the world. But that’s the deal: you have to live; you can’t live by slogans, dead ideas, clichés, or national flags. Finding an identity is easy. It’s the easy way out.”
What I'm saying is that if you want to have a 'direction' in the way you dress yourself, disregard everything else and focus specifically on what you want to look like on a design level - colors/proportions/textures type ****.
Or you can buy a knit tie with tiny bicycles on it, it's not like it matters at all really.

yeah, i mean honestly you're probably right. idk i'm pretty lost right now, in a number of ways, i don't even know what i like anymore (this goes way beyond my clothing preferences too, haha).

Biggen

Reaction score

SVB IN THE UK?
[rule]guys -- my gf and I are going to be in the UK early September and I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in meeting up somewhere in London the weekend of the 8th. there's a chance that if there is enough interest, we could turn it into an official event, invite some vendors, and have SF pick up the tab. this is just an interest check as I really have no idea how many people here are in/around London and if this is something people would be down to attend.

London is only a short flight away for me so I might show up if there is some sort of event.

artishard116

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
would anyone with an sz account be willing to help me list my julius? (not enough posts). will discuss over pm.

nm

Last edited:

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
they don't allow people to list for others. they just delete those listings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads