1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

^
    3rd one is probably most versatile/easiest to wear but I like the 4th one most...

Don't buy a fine grade one unless you're careful with hats.

2 people like this.
  2. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Reedo

If there are any art colleges in the area it's worth contacting them to see if they have exhibitions sales - you'll be looking through a ton of 'experimental' stuff but you can get some interesting well executed pieces for a very reasonable sum.

1 person likes this.
  3. APK

APK Senior member

Good advice. It's easy to fall prey to this, especially at places such as Ikea where you can theoretically furnish every aspect of your home in one shot. In your case, I would suggest checking such places out for a few things, since you're not at a place in your life where everything you own needs to be top-shelf quality.

Where art is concerned, it sounds simple enough, but just buy what you like. Avoid really famous stuff, as PPPP suggested, but I don't see anything wrong with a print of something a bit more obscure, so long as you like it.

TL;DR, buy what you like and let the Tumblrs of the world inspire your choices, not dictate them.

4. APK

APK Senior member

This, too. A buddy of mine that I worked with early on in college was an artist and he did a lot of these giant abstract paintings on canvas. I didn't know (and still don't know) a lot about art, but I was pretty bummed when I missed out on getting one at no cost when he suddenly left the state and basically gave away most of his things. I did end up with a smaller piece he did, and that's been one of the few things I've hung wherever I've lived since.

5. Earnest Hemingway

Earnest Hemingway Senior member

My girlfriend and I are on Season 2 of the Killing and are thoroughly enjoying it. I'll be sure to suggest Forbrydelsen when we're finished.

RFT: Has anyone else had drastically different experience w/ customer service over phone vs. over email?

I bought a five-panel hat from a streetwear webstore (Mishka NYC) and they sent me the completely wrong hat. When I sent them an email requesting an exchange or refund, I received a one word response informing me I'd been refunded. I still really wanted the hat, so I called customer service to check if it was in stock. After speaking with a gentleman named Mad Dog, he confirmed the hat I actually wanted was still available and told me to place the order again (with a note saying I spoke to him) and he'd send me a return label for the unwanted five-panel. The discrepancy between his demeanor and that of the Sales Manager who emailed me was striking.

The hat I ordered:
    [​IMG]

The hat they sent me:
    [​IMG]

6. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Senior member

Artforum and Art in America are also good to dig around in, see what you like.

7. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

They can also serve as substitute toilet paper, which is always a plus.

6 people like this.
  8. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

actual paintings are great and definitely preferable to prints if you can find some that you like. even amateur work can be a bit expensive though, at least here. with good reason though. a couple of my friends are painters (well, they make their livings doing other things) and I didn't realize until I met them how many hours of work go into a lot of paintings and how much raw materials cost.

9. thewho13

thewho13 Senior member

Gilt sent me the wrong size boots. :fu:

10. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

Thanks guys, lots of good advice. I'm really drawn to a lot of impressionistic work, and leaning towards prints of Van Gogh's Wheat Field w/ Crows (the one he did before he shot himself) and his skeleton smoking a cigarette. Also considering Klimt's Avenue in Schloss Park, which has a distinctively Monetish vibe. Also considering a nude from Modigliani, but I want something edgy too...I've always loved Hirst's Impossibility of Death...or maybe some dramatic B&W photo or something architectural, i unno.

11. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

I think a good way of imparting your style is mixing different types of aesthetics into one, just like in clothes.

I have a pretty minimal looking space, but with a persian rug on the floor. I think it looks pretty cool.

1 person likes this.
  12. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Trashed Persian rug looks way cooler, well maybe not trashed, but at least well worn. The one in my apt has been in my family for the better part of a century.

13. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

most of the shit on my walls is stuff from places i've worked/prints that friends of mine have made/personal favorites. No need to rush into decorating--let it take time.

14. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

I'm also looking for a black straw hat of some sorts. I've checked Borsalino and now that site but I'm out of luck methinks

1 person likes this.
  15. Cole

Cole Senior member

reedo I can probably sell you some prints/hand cut stencils/collages from my grandpa, he's pretty famous in the graffiti/railroad/mail art scene

http://www.google.com/search?q=colo...isch&ei=Ef6LUbmpAoLK9QTjpYDIAw&start=20&sa=N#

pm me if you're interested, I have a bunch of his stuff I can sell right now

edit: here's some stuff from my dads wall, on his instagram. firecrackers one isn't his, and the large one next to it

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2013
    6 people like this.
  16. Reedo, just deck your place out in Syd mead.

1 person likes this.
  17. slstr

slstr Senior member

Cole, that's your grandpa?
    Fucking awesome. Sent you a PM.

18. Cole

Cole Senior member

Yes sir! thank you, pm'd ya back. and I'm very blessed to have him as a grandfather

19. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

Wait I don get it your granddad is the god of the sun

20. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

Wait I don get it your granddad is the god of the sun

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.