1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlyingLotus

FlyingLotus Senior member

Damnit, an item i wanted that was all sold out popped up somewhere else.
    Now its nagging me to buy it.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

The guy is deceptively technical. Try that punch that he does. Rewind tape of it, and try to emulate that movement. It's common in Shaolin Kungfu, but it's not just your regular old haymaker, which is half hook. half cross. What Roy does has a much more different trajectory, and is really hard to block if you are not used to that weapon. It really is an opposite hand step in ridge hand strike, and it's probably easiest to practice that way, as a ridge hand strike. I was showing a friend yesterday, and it's been so long since I've practiced that technique that I couldn't get the mechanics right until I switched to ridge hand. It's a common way of board and brick breaking, because, as Roy has shown, it's a great way to naturally generate tons of power from your boday. Of course, I know a lot of Kung Fu practitioners (before I did anything else, my parents had me practicing Shaolin Kungfu starting from when I was 13 or so), and not a single one can just KTFO huge dudes with one punch pretty much at will...

Notice how small is the crook in Roy's arm, and the position of his body, in the picture below. The power comes from his entire body moving as he steps in the punch.

(in this picture, Cheick Kongo prepares for the boom)
    [​IMG]

3. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

I had a dream last night I found a free MA-1 and it made me a better man.

:S

1 person likes this.
  4. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

My AW 07 Paul Smith cable knit sweater broke yesterday, right in the arm pit. :(

5. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

1 person likes this.
  6. slstr

slstr Senior member

^ that looks great.

Thanks to whoever recommended the weleda sage deodorant, I now smell like everything that is good in the world.

1 person likes this.
  7. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Cooks Illustrated/America's Test Kitchen is great for someone with no culinary background. My boss bought me the America's Test Kitchen family cookbook the christmas before last and it's a lot of "do no wrong" recipes--they test the fuck out every recipe and have a very "we tried a bunch of shit and this was the best way to do it" attitude towards cooking.

I'm currently cooking my way through their 'science of good cooking' book and cook a lot of shit from their "slow cooker revolution' book. The show/podcast is pretty great too.

Though I don't cook a ton of pork. The only pork i've made were some slow cooked/broiled BBQ ribs:
    [​IMG]

Though I do have a soft spot for Alton brown

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
    5 people like this.

8. Which cobbler did you use? Need to get some boots vibramed and if they can do that then I feel pretty safe going to them.

9. jet

jet Senior member

America's test kitchen is cool, love the blind tests on all kinds of things.

10. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Alton looking shorter and nattier that I would have expected.

I enjoy watching the program, but on the other hand sometimes I really don't want to watch 60 minutes of programming just to learn which brand of Sea Salt is the best.

11. jet

jet Senior member

That's only a 5 minute segment on each show. They did chicken in the last one I saw and explained air chilling vs water chilling, was pretty interesting.

12. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

13. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Interesting: http://www.businessoffashion.com/20...finally-speaks-on-why-he-left-balenciaga.html

14. hoodyear

hoodyear Senior member

[​IMG]
    How many more designers are going to collab with Converse to produce the same exact shoe?

3 people like this.
  15. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Hugh Jackman was at the table next to ours at brunch on Saturday. He is a GIANT HUMAN BEING. Definitely not really what I expected. He also looked quite a bit more weathered than I would have imagined.

16. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est The Classic Gentleman is Back

That's not what natty means...

Also, Good Eats has been one of my favorites forever, and I think Alton Brown is amazing on everything else he does, but reading that just totally flipped my world upside down [​IMG]

WHY ALTON WHY. YOU HAVE SO MANY AMAZING THINGS TO SAY ABOUT FOOD; WHY DO YOU SOUND LIKE THE SAME #MENSWEAR DRIVEL BEING SPEWED OUT FOR THE PAST FEW YEARS.

17. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

Apparently he is kind of a total dick, too. I love Good Eats and it will always be one of my favorite cooking shows, but as a dude Alton seems really lame.

PLUS I SHOPPED AT ALL THOSE GROCERY STORES BEFORE HE FEATURED THEM ON HIS SHOW SO I DID IT FIRST

18. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est The Classic Gentleman is Back

Yeah I don't know. I always thought the extra geeky jokes were annoying, but I've just learned so much from him, not to mention the fact that I'm a huge sucker for cheesy puns. (we call them "Dad-puns", but I'm not sure that's a universally recognized term) He's like super into motorcycles and is a born again Christian, right? Interesting man, sort of.

You're from Georgia though?

19. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Wow! I've never heard this term before, but I'm pretty sure that my picture is next to the definition on the dictionary.
    <P>
    <P>
    Why did the dad tie a rag around his baby's neck?
    <P>
    <P>
    To avoid making a mess of BIBlical proportions!

2 people like this.
  20. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

Yeah, I'm a huge sucker for them dad-puns too, and I still fondly remember the title theme and it always gets stuck in my head, and the super cheesy and stupid intros that he did. Hah. It was kind of an awful show if we're gonna be real, but like you said, I learned a whole lot. And yea, supposedly he's mega-christian these days and says a lot of really nasty stuff, and he has some really polarizing (and dumb) opinions.

I went to school for a long time close-by Marietta (where is from and currently lives) and kinda knew his nephew. A lot of the Asian stores featured on the show are 100% legit, like I remember mid 90s - early 2000s the stores were 100% Asian and my mom would take me grocery shopping there weekly. She'd make a half hour - 45 minute drive to go to these places instead of other grocery stores, always said the food was fresher and better, especially meats and fish. I'd see maybe like 1 non-asian family there a month, and it's crazy how the whole food movement has grown cause these days it's probably half non-Asian and half Asian shopping there.

Pretty cool that people are more interested in cooking different things, except there has been a slew of really bad Americanized food popping up that make really cruddy stuff and charge way too much for it popping around these once lower income ethnic areas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.