• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1. I like to look at naked women, irl as well as in pictures. Does that make me misogynistic?
2. If I also like to look at naked men, would that just make me generally misanthropic?

I think you mean does that make you a misandrist.

I couldn't decide whether or not the word choice was deliberate, and in the end I decided it would be a waste of time trying to find out.

Last edited:

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

1. I like to look at naked women, irl as well as in pictures. Does that make me misogynistic?
2. If I also like to look at naked men, would that just make me generally misanthropic?
3. Playing with asymmetrical distribution of power is pretty standard sexual roleplaying, I think. It's borderline transgressive, at most. For a guy who dresses like a Manga hero, Brad, you seems to have some pretty vanilla ideas about sex.
4. I posted the bit about Tom Ford to show that some designers are articulate and intelligent.
5. WTF has been going on for the past few pages.
6. Random fashion thought - summer sucks unless you enjoy dressing like a bedouin or a cast member of Jersey Shores or The Ultimate Fighter.

Jersey shore is tacky, I'm on the other end of that line which is just plain fly.

Ok forumites I call upon you to find me a straw version of this, my van gogh hat

Last edited:

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

woodworking? could make a nice bench or coffee table :slayer:

ceramics/pottery?

I like this suggestion the most thus far, may start with some smaller scale whittling. Seems to be economically feasible as well. :slayer:

nomad

Reaction score
Got any space to do some gardening? Just dug in some new flowers beds and potted a couple cherry tomato plants.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No.

I think you mean does that make you a misandrist. Answer is no. I posted this before, but I'll recommend that anyone watch this video. Though a bit dated, Kilbourne does an excellent job of pointing out trends in advertising that propose that Normalcy means: women-as-objects, real men are aggressive and strong, perfection can be attained if you buy the correct product, women's value resides solely in their appearance, etc. It's a really good watch and really, you can watch ten minutes and then decide if you want to tune out. For all the things that get said on this board, we never get an actual woman's voice articulating these issues. Their perspectives are, for obvious reasons, pretty darned important; give it a listen if you've got time.
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
3. Playing with asymmetrical distribution of power is pretty standard sexual roleplaying, I think. It's borderline transgressive, at most. For a guy who dresses like a Manga hero, Brad, you seems to have some pretty vanilla ideas about sex.
What kind of asymmetrical distribution of power in sexual roleplaying? If I recall correctly, most of the TF stuff seemed rather female-submissive. Now, there's nothing wrong with that at all, but when it contributes to a stream of information that reinforces the idea that this is the only way that it should be, then there's a problem.
4. I posted the bit about Tom Ford to show that some designers are articulate and intelligent.
He can design clothes very well, but that doesn't mean he's intelligent. (Also: what do you mean exactly by intelligent? My own definition is pretty rough, but I'd say that critical thinking plays a pretty big part in it.) Anyway I'll just say that the video didn't really leave me very impressed. I've watched some Rick Owens interviews too, and though the guy is a creative genius, I don't think I'd call him Plato or anything.
5. WTF has been going on for the past few pages.
People have been engaging in critical discussion about ad campaigns, heterosexism, misogyny, and some other interesting things. These are good conversations to have.
6. Random fashion thought - summer sucks unless you enjoy dressing like a bedouin or a cast member of Jersey Shores or The Ultimate Fighter.
:tounge:

I've watched the video, and I've also watched the films as well. Advertising is obviously very, very, interesting to me. I suppose that I find this part of the feminist dialogue to be facile and specious. For what it's worth, I have 2 young daughters, and I feel that true physical confidence comes from having a powerful, functional, body. I know a lot of very confident young women, and pretty much all of them are athletes. So, I have them taking gymnastics and dancing, but I am also training them in kickboxing (my core discipline), and also in jiujitsu and Karate and Kung Fu, and I intend to push them as hard as I pushed myself, and was pushed. Hopefully, by the time they hit adolescence, they will have great physical confidence.

Tom Ford - I find him articulate. I don't think that he is Plato, but he is not stupid.

I couldn't decide whether or not the word choice was deliberate, and in the end I decided it would be a waste of time trying to find out.

It was deliberate. The joke was apparently not as obvious as I thought it would be.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Nobody is saying Tom Ford is stupid. I explicitly said he is very intelligent. That doesn't mean I agree with everything he does. I don't have vanilla ideas about sex, but this isn't sex, man. I'm too tired to explain this to people who are obviously not interested in feminist POV and this isn't a productive place to have that kind of conversation.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nobody is saying Tom Ford is stupid. I explicitly said he is very intelligent. That doesn't mean I agree with everything he does. I don't have vanilla ideas about sex, but this isn't sex, man. I'm too tired to explain this to people who are obviously not interested in feminist POV and this isn't a productive place to have that kind of conversation.

Fair enough. I'm not particularly interested in Feminist "thought", especially early feminist thought. I find most of it facile and lacking in rigor. However, it would be unfair to say that I'm ignorant of it.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Put succinctly, the problem with the Tom Ford ad in the submissive place in which it places women, combined with the ambiguously ****-y overtones.

This wouldn't be a problem if we lived in a world where women weren't constantly told to be in submissive positions, and perpetually faced with the threat of sexual violence (not to discount that threat for men, particularly in the prison system, but it disproportionately affects women), but we do, so it's part of a larger cultural narrative that holds the ideal of women to submit to a powerful man.

Granted, there are more cultural narratives than this particular one, but this one is the most prevalent.

As for "whose responsibility it is," it's really the job of parents and cultural critics and people who choose the responsibility to construct a less problematic, more egalitarian cultural narratives around gender relations, and by and large, this is happening. Most of it, from what I can tell, is driven by the fact that women are economically independent and so have to be catered to as a consumer group, and subtle sexism isn't really going to fly.

All the same, getting butthurt and screaming "mysogyny" is not helpful; well-articulated critiques are. Unfortunately, most non-academic feminist writing is the butthurt variety, rather than the articulate kind.

Last edited:

skitlets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RFT: I like how Shah incorporates ethnic pieces into his wardrobe. How to Asian it up without being a walking stereotype?

I've grown my hair out a bit. Short on sides and back, long on top. Have begun tying it up.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
womensequalrightslongitsbeinglongbutgood_afe95a_2346088.jpg

Last edited:

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that math is pretty fuzzy.

Holding for all conflating the gender wage gap is about 93 cents to the dollar. It still exists, but it's not nearly as drastic.

Last edited:

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

womensequalrightslongitsbeinglongbutgood_afe95a_2346088.jpg

Getting through this was more exhausting than reading one of shah's centered posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads