1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhwendland

jhwendland Senior member

I thought I was the only one that watches this show.

2. Severisth

Severisth Senior member

The only things I stay up to date with are GoT and Adventure Time

1 person likes this.
  3. jhwendland

jhwendland Senior member

What did you think of Jack and Jill?

4. istasi

istasi Senior member

rft

i hate my hair

ugh

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Moderator

I think that you missed the point completely. If anything, it was the anti-Seinfeld. It was mostly broad humor, and not meant to be cerebral or clever. It drew people in because these were characters with which the contemporary generation could identify and with whom they could emphasize.

This was a generation which was undergoing a post-adolescent period more or less unprecedented this century. No other generation, up to that point, had spent as much time as mine did, in stasis, between college and a "real job" - and this was not just in the cities, among the highly educated, but was broadly true (in Canada and the United States). It was the generation the grew up in the 80s and into the 90s, was generally more conservative than their parents on any number of issues, and so could neither strongly identify with the aspirations of their parents, but also, could not easily fulfill the success and comfort levels that were common for their parents boomer generation. This was the Reality Bites generation. So, the optimistic, surrogate family of Friends provided a welcome refuge. This was also well before the segmentation of media, and when I was in college, it was very common for groups of friends to get together to actually watch Friends.

4 people like this.
  6. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

7. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

I agree with your background analysis, but I think the question was not whether it was a popular show, but a good one -- and it simply wasn't. You should have been huddled around My So Called Life.

:hide:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
    3 people like this.
  8. sipang

sipang Senior member

Most network comedy shows are too formulaic and bore the shit out of me. I enjoy if it's awkward or uncomfortable or mean. I need at least a bit of cringe-worthy.

I don't laugh, I smile.

Once asked what she found funny, Kawakubo replied, tersely, “people falling down”.
    --John Waters

3 people like this.
  9. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Seems like people have already named most of the shows I'd recommend (It's Always Sunny, Community, Parks N Rec).

Actually next month it will only have been 9 years since the last episode.

Does anybody remember On the Air? After Twin Peaks, ABC let Mark Frost and David Lynch have some fun with a very weird take on a sitcom. Haven't seen an episode in 10 years, but remember it being funny as hell.

10. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

Parks and rec gets pretty awkward and cringtastic

I like archer but doesn't sound up your alley.

Also I though your face was just an eye....

11. jwjp

jwjp Senior member

Y'all should check out PhoneShop.

12. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

The Corner just shipped out my item since my order was placed back on April 15th. Any idea what was the delay? ...

13. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

might be because they had to get it from their italian warehouse first

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  14. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

The Undateables.

15. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

Old simpson is one of the best things to watch on TV. I haven´t watched an entire episode after season 13, though. Really went downhill for me after that.
    Seinfeld might the greatest gem on TV. I never get tired of watching it. I used to be a huge Friends fan, probably watched all 10 seasons a huge number of times, but with time I´ve realized that it was easy comedy centered around people who started getting more and more famous and whose characters the audience wanted to be in a way. Seinfeld is way superior and one of the most re-watchable shows ever imo.

16. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

:fu:

17. rjbman

rjbman Senior member

If/When the Simpsons is added to Netflix, my life as I know it will come to a close as I proceed to marathon through the 20-something seasons.

18. jet

jet Senior member

I actually enjoyed seinfeld then again I liked the wayans bros, martin, etc.

19. habitant

habitant Senior member

Seinfeld is the best thing ever made for TV

3 people like this.
  20. habitant

habitant Senior member

*edit, Seinfeld is probably a genius as well. He is universally appealing, almost nobody dislikes him, where as most other comics will be more polarized.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.