• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
nah by the time you have a stable career, you need to save for a house, new cars, etc.. there goes the rest of your money son

lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

Why is this a need? I honestly don't get that. You might need to save for, say, retirement because you don't want to age in a ditch but no one is forcing you to buy a house and a car, you just do it because that's what people do or because you genuinely want to do that. You do realized people in larger cities might save a lot of money but never buy a house or car?

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I need to find a tailor in Korea like impolyt_one so I can make the other things I want to have made. Fine with suits and shirts though with my current guy.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

Why is this a need? I honestly don't get that. You might need to save for, say, retirement because you don't want to age in a ditch but no one is forcing you to buy a house and a car, you just do it because that's what people do or because you genuinely want to do that. You do realized people in larger cities might save a lot of money but never buy a house or car?

where i live - rent is just as expensive as a mortgage, and a car is completely neccesary

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
You really want to open a retail store man? I admire the people who like it and make it work their way, but I know I would hate the constant mental number crunching and customer service, especially in LA...

We sometimes entertain the idea over dinner or cigars, he's got all the connects plus back end business sense and we'd make sure to do it right down to the last detail. I think it would be fun actually besides a lot of work. It's just talk at this point though.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I could definitely get down with a US-based store that really did it right, and I know that you could pick some good stuff jet. Imagine what Blackbird could be without the unsure buys and unreasonable markups, take away the fluff (they had Paul Frank and Julius at the same time, haha) and go the extra mile, that would be where I'd shop online and visit once in awhile...

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
I need to find a tailor in Korea like impolyt_one so I can make the other things I want to have made. Fine with suits and shirts though with my current guy.

I work with several guys to make different stuff, nobody can make everything well. You just gotta dig deeper man, that is a good part of the journey too.
wink.gif

Pro tip though, a lot of people in Korea balk at anything that is off the menu, but if you ask nicely more than once, put a couple extra green ones on the table, and be clear and succinct, they will understand you better....

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I could definitely get down with a US-based store that really did it right, and I know that you could pick some good stuff jet. Imagine what Blackbird could be without the unsure buys and unreasonable markups, take away the fluff (they had Paul Frank and Julius at the same time, haha) and go the extra mile, that would be where I'd shop online and visit once in awhile...

I can promise you blackbird makes far more money off of paul frank than off of julius

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't doubt that at all, unfortunately, and I don't even like Julius.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I think that that's one thing people on SF fail to realize - that stores are BUSINESSES, and while it's nice to get a good deal, if that keeps happening the store will drop the line/close... its not a charity

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

Key points would be product and how/what it is bought/represented, atmosphere, design and attitude among other things. Aiming for a lifestyle store without the cliche and just keep it real. Would need to have an outstanding e-commerce site as well.

cmsmith

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Key points would be product and how/what it is bought/represented, atmosphere, design and attitude among other things. Aiming for a lifestyle store without the cliche and just keep it real. Would need to have an outstanding e-commerce site as well.

The e-commerce is huge now. It certainly makes it easier when half your shipment of something like Wings + Horns is pre-ordered and shipped out as soon as it hits the store. Its so much tougher to be a bricks and mortar operation solely now.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
SF is pretty hyper on the deals and steals though, I want to say.
In the case of Julius at Blackbird, while they do have to contend with 1) a strong yen, 2) shipping cost, 3) taxes for bringing in foreign animal products on leather jackets and bags, etc, I still find it really hard to believe have to sell those Julius leather jackets at $3700 to make money. People from Seattle could fly into Tokyo for the day, grab the Julius, be back in Seattle within 36 hours, and save well over a G, retail vs retail. I know it's not cheap to make good leather jackets chock full of Riri zippers, but same token, Julius has a line price just like any other brand that sells to stores.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

Amen. There's this misconception that everyone's vision of the American Dream is the same: spouse, kids, big house, high-paying job, nice car(s), lots of nice possessions.

That's fine for the people who get down with that. But there are plenty of people content/happy to live the apartment life in a big city with no car. It's a shame that so many areas in America are structured in a way that makes some type of vehicle necessary.

I can't say that I have any desire to own a house right now. Nor would I really desire a car if I lived in a place where it wasn't a necessity.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cmsmith
The e-commerce is huge now. It certainly makes it easier when half your shipment of something like Wings + Horns is pre-ordered and shipped out as soon as it hits the store. Its so much tougher to be a bricks and mortar operation solely now.

agreed, and this ANYTHINg that the brand will allow you sell online. American shops are so conservative in their buys it hurts, mainly because they fool themselves into believing they know what to buy (and I've been into the stores and haerd the conversations that take place) and they just really don't. I could point to a number of stores by name but I'd get kicked off this board.

cmsmith

Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Amen. There's this misconception that everyone's vision of the American Dream is the same: spouse, kids, big house, high-paying job, nice car(s), lots of nice possessions.

That's fine for the people who get down with that. But there are plenty of people content/happy to live the apartment life in a big city with no car. It's a shame that so many areas in America are structured in a way that makes some type of vehicle necessary.

I can't say that I have any desire to own a house right now. Nor would I really desire a car if I lived in a place where it wasn't a necessity.

I see both sides of this. On one hand I currently live in 'suburb' of a relatively small city, and commute a short distance to work and school via bus. Its great, I love not having a car, and I love that my housing cost is $500 cash once a month. At the same time I think I will reach a point when I want my own house and probably a car and I see the appeal in that. I love the idea of living in an apartment downtown sans vehicle, but I don't know that that will suit my needs forever. I know I want to spend as long as possible without those things. ( car, house etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads