1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timbaland

Timbaland Senior member

All of this makes me wonder how much yoox makes on the sale items. With free shipping on orders over $200 and $6 return shipping which you figure they're taking a loss on. Then you have to take into account their items are shipped from Europe to the US, they pay a lot in shipping but also probably get discounted rates. It kind of feel bad sometimes when I order stuff to try on, so I generally their 7 item max limit and return what doesn't work. But I'm sure yoox makes a lot of money buying their clothes in huge lots for cheap so I don't feel so bad.

2. jet

jet Senior member

they probably pay 10-20% of the retail i'm guessing

3. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

4. Naka

Naka Senior member

I cringe every time I read the word privilege*.

EDIT: :embar:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  5. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

I still do not know how to spell privledge

8 people like this.
  6. habitant

habitant Senior member

7. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

I just spent like three days travelling / interviewing for a job in Wisconsin, only to come home to an acceptance email from my top choice grad school. Most satisfying waste of time ever.

and it's a fashion thought because now I'll be in no-kop club: 2013-2018 edition.

22 people like this.
  8. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Senior member

Kudos. I might just be in that club pretty soon.

9. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Ordered two shoes via DHL express international...arrived in less than 3 days, but I was not home to pick up

:fu:

Now I know that feeling. Usually I could pick up if it was Fedex/UPS

10. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Congrats afl. What are you going to study?

11. A Fellow Linguist

^ ecological psych. and thanks a lot, guys. :embar:

2 people like this.
  12. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

^ plants have feelings?

2 people like this.
  13. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Senior member

RFT: Finally bit the bullet and bought an RO jacket

Congrats on the grad school acceptance AFL! Had not heard of that field before, but it looks pretty interesting!

2 people like this.
  14. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Moderator

They would be extremely generous, then. The TJX brands pay out a maximum of $0.08 on the retail dollar, and private resellers who can't cover the same amount of volume pay a little more. But 20% would be huge, 1/2 of wholesale. That would be an extremely difficult business model to make profitable, considering their pricing and mark down strategies and the overhead and labor costs that they must incur. I'm guessing that they pay well under $0.10 on the retail dollar.

16. DesignerValet

DesignerValet Senior member

Why would you feel bad for Yoox? They aren't stupid; they only offer free shipping because it ultimately makes them more money.

In any case, shipping is not that expensive for companies getting bulk rates; at my not-huge company, we get 75%+ off expedited services and 30-50% off ground.

17. A Fellow Linguist

This is a cool article but ecopsychology and ecological psychology are (almost) entirely unrelated. I'm having trouble finding a good introductory article or paper that's not pay-walled, but if you have access to j-stor, ebsco, or whatever, look for articles by Gibson, Turvey or Heft. Clark and Chalmers, though coming from the philosophy side of things, have very similar perspectives.

18. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

Shhhh I wanted everyone to think you were just going to school to be a dirty hippie

3 people like this.
  19. APK

APK Senior member

Where are you getting this idea that there's this huge gap in class and "wealth" between you and me? Since graduating from college, I've basically pieced together my overall income through various jobs. I make enough to pay my bills and have a little bit of "fun" money. Unless you have no income at all, I'd guess there's virtually no gap between us in that respect.

Because you don't seem to be understanding things. Most clothing sites work off some sort of flat rate or tier pricing for shipping. It would be a logistical mess to say, "OK, shipping for this jacket is $x, and shipping for this shirt is $x." Unless I missed something, the site in question was charging a flat rate, whether it was a shirt or several items. And even with price breaks, shipping stuff is not cheap. Go look up how much it costs to send something that's just a pound across country.

See, you're making it out to be like I've got an issue with free shipping. That's not the case. What customer doesn't enjoy free shipping? My point was just that when a site doesn't offer free shipping, it shouldn't be this travesty of justice or an indictment of that site's reputation. Free shipping, while a bonus, isn't a great indicator of customer service to me. I've had plenty of poor experiences with sites that offered free shipping, and plenty of great experiences with sites that tacked on a shipping charge.

And again, your complaint came in response to a PSA that the site was offering 30 percent off its items. Everyone enjoys good deals, but it doesn't mean we have to try to bleed every last penny of savings possible to justify making the purchase. If that's the case, perhaps it's not something you actually want that much? Speaking of...

I think most will agree that you will be happier with your wardrobe when you stop making "value" such a high priority when it comes to buying clothes. I've balked at buying something before because of the shipping price, but it was ultimately almost always something that I didn't want THAT much. If it's something you really want, what's another $14?

I follow the ToJ thread pretty closely. No searching necessary. :)

1 person likes this.
  20. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

I think free shipping is a really smart way to drum up new/continued business. Otherwise, I don't mind paying actual shipping costs, but if it's clearly like 2x the cost even I would have to pay to ship, I start to have second thoughts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.