1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. momentoftruth

momentoftruth Senior member

the popularity of travel reminds me to what has happened with the whole foodie (ugh) phenomenon: much more accessible cost-wise than even 20 years ago, spread by social-media and the inescapable trend of people "curating" their online persona, and presenting a near-infinite list of possibilities. Or maybe I just associate the two so much because I got tired of reading countless OKC profiles where women would describe how they loved food and traveling.

For me traveling has always been more interesting when able to live somewhere for a little while, rather than just flying in, exploring things on the surface and not really getting to know a place in depth. But of course it's not possible to live everywhere, and it gets tougher to not have roots after a certain age, so traditional traveling will always have a place.

At heart both activities are very positive, it just gets annoying fast when some people mostly reduce them to a narrow expression of their ego-driven tendencies. It evokes the horrible notion of personal branding that's been gaining traction, and that does not, in fact, take me to a happy place

2. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Back before flying people wouldn't "travel," they would go "on tour." Which meant spending months in whatever country(ies) they were visiting. That's where the word tourist comes from. Wish it were still like that, minus their methods of travel that is (who wants to cross the ocean in a boat?)

1 person likes this.
  3. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

SF alumni day:

LabelKing interview

Also, I saw Saucemaster on my way to work this morning.

3 people like this.
  4. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

OK, so I threw on my NDG puffer vest just now and had a thought...Would it be at all possible to have someone attach unzippable (removable) leather sleeves onto this to form a sort of UCism type hybrid? Who would I even go to for a project like that, a leather maker or a tailor or what?

All the edgy details and black hardware etc. would look great with leather sleeves, methinks

5. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Not wearing black suits is one of the CM rules that I will probably always adhere to.

Went through a bottle of that a couple of years ago. Really liked that scent.

LK is a 1st ballot SF HOFer.

6. Naka

Naka Senior member

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  7. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

How is it not still like that? The people "touring" foreign countries for months at a time were the filthy rich aristrocracy. If you're filthy rich today you can do the same thing... plus, with a few grand in the bank, you can backpack through most cheaper countries for months at a time, which is a much better opportunity than any of the middle class really had even 60 years ago.

8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

if you ever find out please pm me

9. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

so you're saying that traveling isn't worth it unless you can live there for a good amount of time? sounds like a cop out

10. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Senior member

I've traveled pretty extensively (caveat: within Central Europe and the UK only) and have to say the best times were had when it meant staying somewhere for more than ~a week. You simply don't get the same experience hopping from city to city as you do spending a while getting to know the area.

1 person likes this.
  11. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

While I don't dispute any of what you just said, that's not to say that somebody cannot go to a city for a few days and not come away with a few experiences that they'll look fondly upon for the rest of their lives. And really, isn't that what it's all about?

Actually, what's funny is that in connection with that other article that's been floating around here the past couple of weeks that says people derive more happiness out of wanting something rather than actually having it, I derive an immense amount of pleasure from getting the Fodor's guide for the city I'm going to visit. I will thumb through the book, sometimes for months, and create whole day long itineraries. Some people might say that this would take the whole fun out of the trip, leaving it with no sense of adventure, but I don't see it that way.

12. momentoftruth

momentoftruth Senior member

Of course you can travel just for short trips, I just have got a whole lot out of living in different environments and would have a problem if the only traveling I had done were for trips and nothing longer. But I was fortunate enough to grow up in a few different places, so I'm sure that's affected my sense of place greatly. To each their own, but I have met people who consider themselves world travelers yet have never moved from their hometown, and that is something that just doesn't speak to me.

1 person likes this.
  13. Dorje

Dorje Senior member

Go through some testers first, that frag is mostly iso-e super and many/most people get tired of it after a while. All of that perfumer's frags are entirely synthetic and get really annoying after a while. Plus, it kinda has an old-man vibe to it IMO...

14. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Senior member

I'm simply not the sightseeing type, so heading somewhere for just a couple days doesn't appeal. My favourite vacations have been doing things like two week trips, cycling, snowboarding, learning to windsurf, hiking coasts - they're all things that connect you with people much more genuinely than you get in most cities. I don't disagree there's value in the Eurail/RyanAir weekend-getaway esque trips where you spend a day or two in a city or country, I just feel there's less of it.

15. Working Stiff

Working Stiff Senior member

I'm going travelling in April-May-June down the West coast, across Mexico, and up the East coast to Toronto. It's going to be fun.

16. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Senior member

RFT: Considering buying that suede 5-zip that's on sufu right now - am I crazy considering I live in Seattle? Will I end up doing this:
    [​IMG]
    3/4 of the time?

17. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

You're right. What I should've said was I should've been born filthy rich.

1 person likes this.
  18. snake

snake Senior member

Just get an umbrella.

Got poured on at the sounders match last weekend and had my Julius leather on. Oh well.

19. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Sounds great, but I imagine that most folk, like myself, just don't have room in the budget (in either time or money) to embark on such journeys. For those who can, I wish them all the best.

Will you be changing your user name to Unemployed Stiff? :BCD!

20. Working Stiff

Working Stiff Senior member

Yep, one more month of work and then I'm quitting my job to be a drifter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.