1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

with wool socks?

2. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

I know his pain. I, too, have slipped and fallen into the dryer as it was spinning on high.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
    3 people like this.
  3. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

Yes! Wool socks are my favorite part of fw.

2 people like this.
  4. Nil

Nil Senior member

Must refrain from dropping money best spent elsewhere on lux basics.

2 people like this.
  5. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

Want cant have (the coat)

[​IMG]

6. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Maas & Stacks, in addition to all the others mentioned. Not sure if they'll carry Siki going forward though. Suspension Point will probably be your best bet because they pick up stuff beyond just jeans/hoodies. Antonioli does too but it's more expensive than anywhere else. Blackbird I think has stuff left over from an older season, but it's also ridiculously expensive and final sale.

7. Bam!ChairDance

On a different note, I want to see more designers taking advantage of the low overhead of digital storefronts and selling their ish directly to us without all the traditional markups, yada yada.

Like, information is floating in clouds and shit. The days of $1500 jackets should be long behind us.

3 people like this.
  8. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

As much as I love the idea of retail stores – and even of owning one – I almost can't condone it because it's such an illogical system that raises prices significantly for consumers.

9. Bam!ChairDance

I'm talking about the toj/everlane/american giant business model.

It would let designers charge double their production costs and still lower their prices to significantly less than what "high fashion" usually goes for

10. Teger

Teger Senior member

the issue you have is with the wholesale model, not with storefronts.

11. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Yeah, it's kind of true. But you run into a problem. Think of Patrik Ervell, who sells at retailers like Barneys and also on his own website. If an Ervell jacket is, say, $600 at Barneys (and that price includes the Barneys markup over wholesale), Ervell still has to sell it for $600 on his site, even though he doesn't need that retail markup to make a profit. If he sells for $300, nobody is going to go to Barneys to buy his stuff. But Ervell kinda needs Barneys, at least right now, and doesn't want to completely alienate Barneys by doing something like that. Barneys has that cachet and introduces his stuff to a much wider audience than he would have otherwise—and is still making him money. I wouldn't be surprised if Ervell made more money from selling to retailers than it makes selling its own products through its webshop at huge markups, though I'm completely speculating. I guess if an established designer like Dries or someone decided they just wanted to sell their stuff cheap online they might be able to do that. But for most designers there's this whole system in place that more or less prevents that. That's not to say that it's not possible; just harder.

5 people like this.
  12. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Plus as enthusiasts people on this site generally have a good idea of what they want, how it fits, and what they're willing to pay--excellent web direct sales customers. I don't know if anyone has good data on what proportion of sales for a particular designer are casual (i.e., need the retail interface) vs. people who would seek it out on a designer independent web or b+m store. Like, one Dries van Noten coat might sell to a guy who likes Dries, owns some pieces, saw it on the runway, and buys it from Barneys vs 10 other DVN coats Barney's sells to people who just want a coat and settled on that one.

4 people like this.
  13. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

TOJ's business model is the lowest cost by far. Almost no overhead--not even a website, unless he pays Willy. And the styleforum fee of course. no idea how much that is, likely peanuts compares to other advertising and web avenues.

everlane has a decent of money spent on their website and they have quite a few employees i think too.

14. Bam!ChairDance

Yeah, for established brands, it would be impossible to lower prices on their private storefronts while still selling their stuff to retailers. They would have to break away from retail stores entirely.

But since they've already established their fanbases/clientele, it's totally doable. Basically a parallel to unsigned bands blowing up without the aid of record labels.

yeah, you've touched on a point PPP raised, which is the awareness and brand-boosting that comes from retailers. But a solid independent web presence can build prominence on its own through social media, word of mouth, etc (basically Everlane's success story). It just means the designer has to work harder to establish a solid digital strategy

Even with the overhead from a small staff, you'd still get lower prices than the wholesale model

15. Zeemon

Zeemon Senior member

does someone know by which brand this t-shirt is
    [​IMG]

16. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

undercover f/w -08

1 person likes this.
  17. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I don't mean to be all old media here but do you think stuff like Everlane or that denim brand that blew past its kickstarter goal are sustainable? They seem to me more symptomatic of the retail moment than retail future. Plus, those sorts of brands that sell basics are pretty universal in their appeal (upgrade your current X to a slightly better X)--anyone doing design that doesn't already have a built in customer base would have a harder time selling things.

The comparison to a band blowing up and going truly independent is apt in that a band like Radiohead got away with it because there are already millions of Radiohead fans (and every Radiohead album is one-size-fits-all). Even most new music acts that "make it" outside the traditional system (Bieber and some recent hip hop come to mind) really only still "make it" when they get signed.

Side note I really don't want to finish the TPS report I'm working on this afternoon

18. 1969

1969 Senior member

3D printing will abolish online purchases soon enough.

2 people like this.
  19. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

there are still artists that "make it" without getting signed though, like hoodie allen and hopsin for example

20. Bam!ChairDance

Yeah the model hasn't really been attempted by high-end designers, so I have yet to see how they'd build a brand without the backing of retailers.

I'm pretty confident it's a sustainable model, though. Men's fashion isn't about projecting wealth the way it perhaps used to be, so charging "honest" or "modest" prices instead of the usual markups won't hurt the brand if the company tells its story the right way.

And since the number of menswear tastemakers on the internet is staggering, the path a newer designer would take to garner support would be very similar to the strategy taken by a fledgling blogger or musician-- partner with folks who already have established audiences, such as your magazines, tumblr authorities, all that stuff.

Like, the only thing lost would be the prestige that trickles down from a retailer's backing, as well as the ability to be seen by a passersby who just happened to spy your supercool jacket alongside many others.

But I'm not so sure any designer needs to depend on those two sources of awareness to succeed... dunno

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.