1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

i'm also going through the process of trying to land a consulting internship after realizing that research wasn't going to cut it as a career path. figure i can do this for a few years, go get an mba, then try and land a position on the business side of a pharma company. seems like a solid enough plan.

2. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Senior member

Ah, cool cool. I have some friends who ended up going down that path and really enjoy it, hopefully you enjoy Fermi problems and the interviews are going well for you!

Corporate sustainability is stuff like handling transparency, integrating with local community, and avoiding your brand image becoming Anderson Consulting?

Tech is (from my perspective) a weird combination of meritocracy, acceptance of non-traditional credentials, and knowing-a-guy-who-has-this-friend-who's-startup-just-got-funded-by-this-firm-who-needs-a-guy. If you've any talent for marketing or bizdev and have even a tiny portfolio, you might try looking at KPCB's Fellows Program, Greylock Venture's University Recruiting, or a16z's new uni program. Once you're in the fold, so to speak, it gets much easier to figure out the next step, and even if something doesn't work out the chances of getting a referral to somewhere that's a better match is high.

3. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Senior member

RE: bizcas

What do I tell my tailor to do if I want my oxfords fixed so I don't have a sharkfin sticking out a foot from my back when I tuck in my shirt, or a Balenciaga egg jacket-esque silhouette when untucked.

4. transient

transient Senior member

Unless its denim business casual I think I'd too rather do suits than be in khaki-polo hell. I might actually get a tech job in business dress environment soon and it might be a tough transition at first but I figure I'll stock up on H&M/Uniqlo suits that I can throw onto the backseat as soon as I clock out everyday. Tough part will be getting shoes without getting sucked into CM wormhole.

5. Teger

Teger Senior member

you need darts in the back, and probably narrow in the waist/hips. if a shirt is gonna fit real slim when tucked it should pull a little when it's untucked.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

Business casual is completely defined by your environment.

A lot of places, biz cas means you just go 1 notch below a suit (no jacket or tie, but everything else).

But it can also mean you can wear jeans a button up, no problem--just depends on your corporate culture.

7. snake

snake Senior member

8. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Did they get the idea from Neon Genesis?? damnit

1 person likes this.
  9. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

I am way too excited about Pacific Rim. :embar:

10. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Where are you paying $40 for MTM?

1 person likes this.
  11. max_r

max_r Senior member

I said the same thing and now i have to wear a suit 5 days a week. it gets old, trust me.

If I could just ditch the tie, I'd be okay with everything else though. Goddamn I hate ties.

12. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

is that GLaDOS??!1?!?!?!?one

nice little bit of Nietzsche thrown into the trailer.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  13. abracadabra

abracadabra Senior member

It's the glados voice actress but apparently they are changing the voice slightly for the actual movie.

14. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

such a bummer with the GLaDOS voice, their statement regarding it was like: "yeeaah you know we kinda wanted to make people interested and excited because everyone likes GLaDOS and she'd go perfectly with this, but we've decided to only do that for the trailer and not for the actual film (because f**k you)"

15. Questionnaire

Questionnaire Well-Known Member

Robots with people piloting them inside like that reminds me of Gundam Wing.

16. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

17. abracadabra

abracadabra Senior member

I think it's more like "because we don't want to pay for licensing fees".

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  18. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Well, at least you're well compensated for it.

This surprised me too. Plus, I would think that MS would be more open to working from home or other alternative work arrangements.

I'm surprised you feel this way. I find that if you have good suits they are very comfortable and don't really bother you that much. If you have shirts that fit well you barely even realize that you're wearing a tie most of the time.

If you're gonna do consulting, you better know if you like traveling. Oh, and working long hours.

I understand the sentiment, but this could actually go down a very valuable path. The reality is that for many people on this forum fashion and careers are both important aspect of their lives. If that's the case then it's probably a good idea to find out how to most effectively merge the two, especially since if you spend so much money on SW&D clothes you'll want to wear them more than two days a week. If members can leverage the experiences of others in order to find a way to incorporate more of their wardrobe into their workwear, that's probably a good thing.

You beat me to it. I was going to ask the same thing. More specifically, I'd be curious as to the quality of the fabric. I've tried ModernTailor twice, and have thought the fabric quality was absolute shit both times.

1 person likes this.
  19. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

I only have a couple mid-range geller shirts (nothing really high end) but they don't really get wrinkled except for the inside of the elbows (I don't tuck in my shirts). My uniqlo oxfords tend to look like they've been balled up in the bottom of the laundry bin before I even make it to work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.