1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Distinguished Member

The widening gap between designers and the houses they work for is becoming a theme. Here's another piece from the NYTimes, this time by Cathy Horyn:
    "When the great couturier Cristóbal Balenciaga closed his Paris house, in 1968, and retired, he complained that it had been a dog’s life. But at least Balenciaga was free to design what he wanted, and to show his clothes when and to whom he pleased. Today, the most celebrated designers work for big luxury groups — Nicolas Ghesquiere for the PPR-owned Balenciaga, Marc Jacobs for Louis Vuitton, which belongs to LVMH, as do Céline and Givenchy. Last summer, when Dior’s former star John Galliano went before a Paris court on a charge of anti-Semitism stemming from a drunken rant, he attributed his behavior in part to work pressures. Not only do designers produce more stuff than ever before — clothes for early deliveries, for red carpet and editorial, as well as accessories — but they are also increasingly perceived as less important than brands."
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/04/s...gner-raf-simons-dismissed.html?_r=1&ref=style

And this from Stefano Pilati:
    "Do you think fashion is misunderstood because the people who create it speak a different creative language from those who consume and analyse it?
    When people enter our store they imagine cashmeres, silk cravats, shirts in crepe de chine, crocodile shoes. Obviously, we make them, but it’s like hitting myself in the balls. I have 800 cashmere coats and 900 silk cravats. My point is, your work can’t just be a selfish journey. You’re working for a brand, not your brand. You have to adapt. I like to let myself go with some ideas, but you have to have the rest of the company on board with you and deal with those dickheads who are only businessmen – the ones who ruined fashion, people who move from Danone to YSL like it’s the most natural transition in the world."
    http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/the-end-of-elegance-0000150-v19n2?Contentpage=2

2. derrida26

derrida26 Senior Member

or ninja turtles

3. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Distinguished Member

I fail to see why either of those are a compelling argument against.

4. ceoceo

ceoceo Distinguished Member

5. Desi

Desi Distinguished Member

the third movie

6. g transistor

g transistor Distinguished Member

7. KingJulien

KingJulien Distinguished Member

Does anyone know of a black & white floral print button-up shirt? I realize that's a bit specific...

8. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Distinguished Member

9. bows1

bows1 Distinguished Member

Honestly didn't really like the videos. Cool idea but a couple monks jogging super slow through a forest? borrinnggg

Have those monks blow up trees with their minds and slide under the falling trees / leap over the trunks; I'd watch that :slayer:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

10. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

....motherfucking temple run

11. KingJulien

KingJulien Distinguished Member

Quote:
    Hm, close, needs a white background rather than blue though. Also those yellow pants hurt my eyeballs [​IMG].

Edit: this might be something that only looks good in my head, lol.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

12. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Distinguished Member

Care instructions apparently found on a real pair of pants:

[​IMG]

13. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Distinguished Member

I'm sure this was probably posted in the EG thread a while back, but it needs to be shared with everyone.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

14. Aeneas

Aeneas Senior Member

@pickpackpockpuck

What brand is that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.